• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Swfa 3-15 for custom rifle? Not enough glass?

Joko111

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2021
Maryland
So I have a custom rifle that does not have a scope yet, it’s an origin action, manners stock, with a proof barrel and Hawkins, trigger tech, and all of that good stuff… but… I just got a swfa 3-15 today and I’m pretty damn impressed with it, to the point I’m considering putting a $700 scope on a $3500 rifle, I know most people stick with the more money on glass than the rifle rule of thumb or at least spend 1k plus on glass, but I honestly don’t need crazy good glass for a hunting scope, Curious if anybody else has used cheaper scopes on higher end rifles rifles? The only reason I’m even considering the swfa is I like the reticle, and the thing is tough…

Hell you've got it so run it for now. Like you said its a hunting rig. I doubt you will miss an animal because it's an swfa. And you can always "upgrade" later.

Reactions: Joko111
That's not a bad scope, not at all. It's a bit outdated in some respects and may not have the best glass in the world, but it is a solid design and it may prove to be perfectly adequate for your purposes. You won't know for sure until you mount it up and go hunting. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts about it after you give it a try over the course of a season.

So I have a custom rifle that does not have a scope yet, it’s an origin action, manners stock, with a proof barrel and Hawkins, trigger tech, and all of that good stuff… but… I just got a swfa 3-15 today and I’m pretty damn impressed with it, to the point I’m considering putting a $700 scope on a $3500 rifle, I know most people stick with the more money on glass than the rifle rule of thumb or at least spend 1k plus on glass, but I honestly don’t need crazy good glass for a hunting scope, Curious if anybody else has used cheaper scopes on higher end rifles rifles? The only reason I’m even considering the swfa is I like the reticle, and the thing is tough…
It's one of the best hunting reticles around ...

That's not a bad scope, not at all. It's a bit outdated in some respects and may not have the best glass in the world, but it is a solid design and it may prove to be perfectly adequate for your purposes. You won't know for sure until you mount it up and go hunting. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts about it after you give it a try over the course of a season.
I’ll have to mount one up on it then, I’m also using one on the .17 hornet for this fox season as well

Honestly, I’d put a better scope on it if you got the scratch. A custom rifle deserves good glass, not mediocre glass.

But that’s simply my opinion.

Also, these days, technology has gotten so good, that you don’t have to spend as much or more on a scope as you did on your rifle to have quality glass. You can get a Zeiss LRP S3 4-25x50 for $2K, or a Burris XTR-III 3.3-18x50 or 5.5-30x56 ($1,500), and either of those would be an excellent optic for your rifle.

I
Honestly, I’d put a better scope on it if you got the scratch. A custom rifle deserves good glass, not mediocre glass.

But that’s simply my opinion.

Also, these days, technology has gotten so good, that you don’t have to spend as much or more on a scope as you did on your rifle to have quality glass. You can get a Zeiss LRP S3 4-25x50 for $2K, or a Burris XTR-III 3.3-18x50 or 5.5-30x56 ($1,500), and either of those would be an excellent optic for your rifle.
I’m 20 and in college, didn’t rly think too hard on what scope I should buy but I think I may run this until I get the cash for something like a nx8 or atacr, I’m not too much of a glass snob, just want something that is reliable and works

What is reliable and works depends a lot on what you are doing with it. The Tasco world class on my dads 30/06 has worked on hunting rifle for over 40 years, but I wouldn't take it out to the range and expect to dial a 1000 yard shot in, then have it return to zero, and be able to dial the same amount to hit 1000 again.

I see plenty of really expensive rifles with Chinese trash riding on them.

Reactions: Joko111 and FuhQ
I

I’m 20 and in college, didn’t rly think too hard on what scope I should buy but I think I may run this until I get the cash for something like a nx8 or atacr, I’m not too much of a glass snob, just want something that is reliable and works
Man, when I was in college, I lived off of ramen noodles and frozen chicken fingers and Kraft mac & cheese on sale at Walmart…No way in hell I could have afforded a $3,500 custom rifle.

Honestly, I wouldn’t waste your money on a NF (unless you buy it used and for a really steep discount compared to retail) if you want good glass. They’re good scopes, solid, and track reliably with great turrets, but the glass in them is pretty mid for the price. That’s why I recommended options with better quality glass.

Ask me how I know…

IMG_9335.jpegIMG_9337.jpeg

Reactions: Eric_F and Joko111
What is reliable and works depends a lot on what you are doing with it. The Tasco world class on my dads 30/06 has worked on hunting rifle for over 40 years, but I wouldn't take it out to the range and expect to dial a 1000 yard shot in, then have it return to zero, and be able to dial the same amount to hit 1000 again.

I see plenty of really expensive rifles with Chinese trash riding on them.
I’ve heard the swfa is pretty damn reliable when it comes to tracking, but the glass is nothing to write home about, pretty bland, I have not used it in low light but hopefully it works well, with it being non illuminated and ffp it may be a little tricky

I wouldn’t waste your money on a NF if you want good glass. They’re good scopes, but the glass in them is pretty mid for the price. That’s why I recommended options with better quality glass.

Ask me how I know…

View attachment 8186821View attachment 8186822
I typically don’t worry too much about glass quality if it works for hunting, I had a nxs compact and was pretty pleased with that

Reactions: FuhQ
I’ve heard the swfa is pretty damn reliable when it comes to tracking, but the glass is nothing to write home about, pretty bland, I have not used it in low light but hopefully it works well, with it being non illuminated and ffp it may be a little tricky
Their reticle is thick enough it never caused me any problems. It was the turrets that made me move on. That and other scopes costing about the same with better features. 20 years ago, there wasn't much under 1k that tracked very well. Today, thats not true anymore.

That scope will work just fine on that rifle for the hunting season and range work. Is there better scopes out there, of course. And eventually you will upgrade it as that rifle does deserve a better optic. But as a college kid, save your money and use it this season and enjoy it. Always can upgrade down the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: Modoc and Joko111
Yeah, save your money and get something else when you finish school and can afford. It gives you something to look forward to and by that time there will most likely be more and better choices the way things are progressing.

Yeah, save your money and get something else when you finish school and can afford. It gives you something to look forward to and by that time there will most likely be more and better choices the way things are progressing.
Good point!

Reactions: Im2bent
Many a veteran soldier from WWI to 'Nam made good use of what we call "poor glass" today. It's all hunting, and it can apply quite well today if you're on a budget and if your peepers are reasonably good. The simple SWFA 10x42 is/was a military scope, and it's still quite worthy today. The SWFA sale makes it all the more attractive.

My 6x SWFA has done things I didn’t think could be done with a 6x. Always wanted to try their 3-15.
Have fun with it!

Fixed power scopes have a few good things going for them.

Looking at the 3-15, I’ve heard good things about the swfa fixed powers but not my type of thing for hunting
It's all good, lotsa good glass choices abound and it's almost always a good learning experience.

If it gets you shooting, keeps you shooting, and doesn't hinder your shooting/hunting ability...

It is enough glass.

You can upgrade later as funds become available.

FWIW, I've killed more deer with a fixed 10x Leupold Mk4 (ca. 2000) and M3 turrets on a .308, than I have any other rifle. I promise that scope is far behind most hunting optics of today.

It’s pretty tough to screw up the MQ reticle, if it’s a bit thin at low magnification, I’ve never felt handicapped close in with my 6x (10 yard parallax).
If it’s like their fixed line, it should track and rtz very well while holding zero through some pretty substantial abuse.
Garden Hose washer zero stop and your good to go.