• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Swfa 5-20 eye relief

snake_charmer

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2013
Florida
So I have a few range trips under my belt with this swfa ss HD 5-20. I'll start off by saying I'm a complete noob at long range shooting and thanks to the members out in Texas who helped me get started. Anyways, the eye relief on the swfa is extremely difficult to get adjusted into. There's a very small margin where it's crystal clear and then I play the game of trying to get the complete sight picture back into the frame of the lens. Does this have anything to do with the parallex or is it the nature of the beast?

Last edited:
Might partially be parallax. You may want to adjust where the scope is sitting on the rail, eye box was fairly forgiving on my example.
The back is focus as well if you loosen the locking ring, I have barely adjusted it myself though.

When you mounted the scope, did you have the power turned up to 20x? That is normally the tughtest /smallest eyebox and any lower powers should be more forgiving.

Mount the scope while looking through it at 20x in whatever shooting position you are going to be in when using 20x (either bipod prone or benchrest, I'm guessing). The reticle focus and target focus / parallax knobs don't really affect your eyebox. I find the eyebox at 20x on that scope pretty much what I expect from any good scope at 20x, not anything more restrictive. If you're used to 3-9x scopes it may feel really tight, but that's just a function of the higher magnification and small exit pupil.

When you mounted the scope, did you have the power turned up to 20x? That is normally the tughtest /smallest eyebox and any lower powers should be more forgiving.

Thanks for the replies. I do believe the scope was set on the higher magnification level towards 20x during the range visit yesterday. It was only at 100-200 yards which might be over kill but it was for precision target shooting so I figured the higher the better. It sounds like this could be a problem with the eye relief though as it goes higher? I actually had one of the forum members here help me install the SWFA onto Seekins rings and finished it off with blue Loctite. I purchased a fat wrench to tq everything down to spec and have shot it to MOA a few times now. I think the majority of it is me getting the trigger time in. Anyways, I don't recall where the rifle was set at in terms of magnification when it was mounted. We did use a level prior to installing and everything looked good.

Last edited:
The scope has a very good eye box, as a noob, it takes a little time and practice to learn how to drop down on the scope. You may need an adjustable cheek piece on your stock.
Enjoy, Scott

Yea, it's very frustrating. I'm dealing with dropping on the buttstock correctly but also getting proper eye relief. I was just doing some dry fire practice and the reticle plays tricks with my eyes. It reminds me of those old pictures that if you stare at them long enough a picture would appear. I lose the reticle in the target and find myself lifting up to get a 1 dimensional view away from the target and re acquiring once I can get the reticle back in focus. I need to go take a weekend course but my money situation is currently tight.

Edit-I just noticed that as I raise or lower my head, right before the eye relief blacks out in the scope, the reticle starts to clear up. However, in my natural position while centered on the scope it gets blurry again. I'm wondering if I should try to remount the scope, ugh!!!

Last edited: