• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SWFA 5-20 SS HD - Question about illumination

Wayfaerer320

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2012
PA
So, I finally decided to join the precision shooting game for the first time - I ended up getting an FN SPR A5M with a 24" fluted barrel. I'm hoping this rifle will serve me well and last hopefully a lifetime.

After extensive research (mostly from this forum) I've realized the best type of optic for me would be FFP. I then compared optics and it ended up coming down to Nightforce and SWFA - the SWFA 5-20 SS HD won out due to price, glass clarity, and overall features (hopefully I'm making the right choice for a solid precision optic).

The only thing I haven't settled on is illumination vs non-illumination.

What are you thoughts? How necessary is illumination in this piece of glass? Do you find it's absolutely necessary for general target/recreational shooting?

Or would I be better off saving some dough and picking up the non-illuminated model?

Re: SWFA 5-20 SS HD - Question about illumination

I have both in that model. For Targets and Recreational shooting I do not think it necessary and is just something else to mess up.

If you are comp shooting with it or hunting I say get it.

I recommend buying the scope used here and sometimes you can get the illum for about the same price as the non. Plus there is little wait time this way depending on their in stocks.

Great scopes, will likely buy my 3rd later this year for the rifle I have coming in today.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hunt4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have both in that model. For Targets and Recreational shooting I do not think it necessary and is just something else to mess up.

If you are comp shooting with it or hunting I say get it.

I recommend buying the scope used here and sometimes you can get the illum for about the same price as the non. Plus there is little wait time this way depending on their in stocks.

Great scopes, will likely buy my 3rd later this year for the rifle I have coming in today. </div></div>

So, if I went to purchase one from SWFA, they don't have them in stock right now?

I had the SS 5-20 ILL and never used the illumination. It is not daytime bright and it was not worth the extra $$, in my opinion. I now have the Bushnell Tactical Elite 3.5-21x and like that one much better.

Not worth the extra money in my opinion. I have the non-illuminated version as well as a Vortex PST. I have used the illumination on the PST once during a low light hunting encounter but in reality could have made the shot with out it. If you can pick up a illuminated used on here for the price or close to of a non-ill go for it but if not don't sweat it. They are great optics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: reeljob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not worth the extra money in my opinion. I have the non-illuminated version as well as a Vortex PST. I have used the illumination on the PST once during a low light hunting encounter but in reality could have made the shot with out it. If you can pick up a illuminated used on here for the price or close to of a non-ill go for it but if not don't sweat it. They are great optics. </div></div>

Sounds good - thanks for the advice.

I decided to get it - picked up the non-ill version.

Will post pics of the new rifle and glass as soon as I get them.

Are the swfa 5-20's in stock? I need to buy something soon and have sort of narrowed it down...

For daylight shooting it won't matter at all. I'd save the money. And for states that only allow hunting half an hour on either side of daylight, it's not often you'd encounter a situation where it might help. With a 5-20 I can't imagine being under heavy cover and having time to get off a shot easily either.