• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SWFA 5-20HD Ocular ??

Wolf22

Minuteman
Oct 13, 2006
Midwestern USA
since the search function isn't being friendly......

Those of you running the SWFA SS 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope

How forgiving is the Ocular compared to the newer design Vortex Razor HD? The latest ocular that Vortex offered free swap of the orig. Razor design.

So far for me, the Henny has been the most forgiving, but am not able to dump the cash anymore. So its back to the Razor HD or the SWFA, which would be a 1st for me.

comparison of the SS above to NXS, USO, RazorHD would be appreciated as I've owned them all at one point.

Re: SWFA 5-20HD Ocular ??

On the sample of 1 that I've been using the ocular has been unforgiving! It's why my next purchase will be something else. But the rest of the scope is nice.

I took your question to be about the eye box. I suppose I should read slower in the mornings. The one I've been using has a picky eye box and I'm not a fan. I think the glass, adjustments, and reticule are good though.

Unforgiving in what way? I have the SS 5-20 and find the eye relief to be pretty good. Of course its better at lower magnification, but I had no problem mounting it so that it works perfectly at all magnifications.

Agreed. The eye-box on my SS is very generous in comparison to other 20x scopes.

I think the SS 5-20 is quite forgiving. Yes it is particular just like any other FFP scope with high magnification but I find it be very forgiving. I find on the few that I have shot on it is more picky at 18-20X, anything below that has a wide range or eye relief.

Here is a link discussing the SS 5-20 and the eyebox:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2717173

The eye box on the SS is very forgiving. It is one of the best qualities of the scope.

appreciate the responses. will take a gander at the post above from Shooter45. appreciated. Maybe Vortex will have a Gen 2 version with the minor issues corrected come early 2013.

Cheers