• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes SWFA SS 1-4x HD - Question regarding reticle focus

buckjay

Private
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2011
Hawaii
I recently purchased the SWFA SS 1-4X (DONUT) and received/mounted it today.

I'm having some issues with reticle focus at 4X. When I finally get a clear reticle focus (sometimes it takes a few seconds, either my eyes are adjusting or my head is just lining up to get the perfect 'sweet' spot) the reticle looks great. The reticle is crisp, bold, etc. However if I move my head a millimeter in any direction, the reticle instantly goes blurry. If I have the illumination on the reticle/mil dot cross hair begins to severely streak.

Is this normal? I saw a post of Chris Farris' on the Optic Talk forum basically saying this is how 1-4x FFP scopes behave and I'm wondering if anyone that has access or has used a S&B 1-4 can confirm if this is indeed the case. My only other experience is a Burris MTAC which I still have. I can hold up the scope itself, not even mounted and the reticle at 4X is bold and clear. I can move my head atleast an inch in any direction until eye relief causes me to see black and the reticle never blurs. So this has me scratching my head. I do know the MTAC is not FFP, so could that perhaps be causing my issues?

The other question I had was packaging. I received my SS 1-4x in a white cardboard box. Inside the box was just a bag and the scope itself. There was no pamphlet, instructions, explanation of reticle, etc. Is this how they come?

Thanks! I would greatly appreciate any information.

Dave

Re: SWFA SS 1-4x HD - Question regarding reticle focus

I don't have the same problem on 4x. I've only had mine mounted for two days but have spent alot of time looking through it and showing it off to friends. No one had this problem that I showed it to. Also, yes that is all that comes in the box.

Joe, thanks for the response. Just to confirm, you can move your head to the edge of the eye relief (where you begin to see black) and the reticle stays in focus?

I had mine for a while and was able to put some range time and nothing what you mention happens to mine.

Aron-

Mine does the same thing. Head position is unusually critical at 4X. Any movement at all the reticle blurs out.
SWFA replied saying basically it's the nature of 1-4X scopes.
Is it?

I believe from what I've read the SS 1-4X is unusually sensitive. The Burris MTAC I have definitely does not have this problem at 4X, however it is not FFP (FFP is the reason SWFA says we're experiencing issues at 4X) which is why I was hoping to get some insight from someone who has a S&B 1-4x and see if this is indeed a 1-4 FFP issue or simply a SS 1-4 issue.

I have the SS1-4 and have heard this comment made a few times, both here and on Optics Talk. I've tried my scope and it doesn't so this. I am not sure why some do and some do not.

Head position is critical on this scope at 4X. mine stays mostly on 1X and, at 1X, no suck problem has ever been noted.

All that said, I have owned many 1-4X optics and never seen the "blurry reticle at 4X" thing before. I've used Trijicon, USO SN4, Millett (sadly), and a few others, not the S&B.

I have no issues with 1 - 3X, its only at 4X that I notice this issue.

Can you check yours at 4X? If you look at it at 4X and move your head side to side, does the reticle stay crisp and sharp?

buckjay,

Mine blurs a little bit at 3X. Could you try again at 3X?

Brother, I had this problem with a few scopes a few years ago and found out it was my body chemistry at the time and not the scope.

Since I figured out the chemistry issues I have not had a problem.

I have a 1-4 SS and love it. No issues at all.

Could you elaborate on that a bit?

I'm having a hard time believing the chemistry of my body would somehow make one scope blurry when the reticle moves a few millimeter and not any other scopes.

I've spent a few hours playing with the reticle focus and I'm about to give up. Time to give SWFA a call come Monday.

Took a photo, pretty darn hard to get a proper picture of the reticle.

This picture doesn't really show what I'm seeing but it shows the basic idea. You move your head a little bit and the corresponding opposite edge of the donut begins to wash out/blur.

SS14.jpg

I have the SS 1-4X (donut) and also have the same issue at 4X. 3X seems fine, but 4X is very very picky on head position.

I haven't noticed such shortcomings on the two that I've owned.... Hell, I looked through 2 at one time and had no problems with reticle clarity. I'd contact the awesome customer service at SWFA and see if they can help.

Dude, many things can cause the problems you have mentioned.

The height of scope in relationship to your MK1 Eye Ball can cause this problem.

How you set up eye relief can cause this problem

I could go on, But since you know so much about what can not cause a problem such as your body chemistry already why bother to inform you further in things you obviously already know.

I see many folks blame gear every day when 99 percent of the time its them.

Good luck

The very 1st thing one would do is try varying the distance between the eye and scope to alleviate the problem. I'm sure he tried as I did.
Of the many scopes I've had this is the only one that's given me this kind of an issue. I'm learning to live with it.