• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SWFA SS 1-6X24HD Pics

Jon A

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2006
Everett, WA
www.aadmount.com
I figured some of you might like some pics. Here you go:

PICT0459.JPG

It's the same overall length as the 1-4. Notable differences are the eyepiece is slightly longer and the turret housing is larger and farther forward.

PICT0473.JPG

It is a couple ounces heavier but not too bad at 22 oz.

The covered turrets cover "real exposed" turrets so there's no need to keep them covered if you don't want too:

PICT0465.JPG

PICT0468.JPG

So if you want exposed turrets, just toss the covers, if you want them covered keep them covered. There's about 40 Mils of total elevation so it should reach as far as anything you'd put a 6X scope on without a sloped mount.

Now to the reticles. These came with two prototype reticles to see what works and what doesn't, neither of which is exactly what the production scope will have. But you can get a good idea of their capability:

T-Post:

PICT0365.JPG

PICT0372.JPG

PICT0368.JPG

PICT0379.JPG

Circle:

PICT0336.JPG

PICT0344.JPG

Re: SWFA SS 1-6X24HD Pics

PICT0355.JPG

PICT0351.JPG

Here's a couple 10yd comparisons:

PICT0385.JPG

PICT0386.JPG

PICT0396.JPG

PICT0398.JPG

For the sake of comparison, here's what a Leupold CQ/T 1-3X circle dot looks on the same target:

PICT0391.JPG

PICT0393.JPG

Here are some pics from the range. The day I took all these pics was really dark, gloomy and rainy so all the pics look like crap--please realize that was due to the light conditions, not the optical quality of the scopes:

Post at 100:

PICT0427.JPG

PICT0434.JPG

at 300:

PICT0441.JPG

PICT0436.JPG

Those targets at 300 are 8" grey bulls with 2" white centers.

Circle:

PICT0401.JPG

PICT0407.JPG

PICT0406.JPG

PICT0415.JPG

PICT0414.JPG

For comparison, here are pics from the 1-4HD SS and the 1-3 CQ/T at 300:

PICT0426.JPG

PICT0423.JPG

Again I apologize for the lousy pics, all the scopes looked much better than that in real life.

In actual use, at 300 yds I found there was naturally a pretty big difference between the 1-3 CQ/T and the 1-4 SS, bigger than I would have thought. But there is yet another really big step up from the 1-4 to the 1-6's. That's enough more magnification to make a real difference in how easy it is to use. I haven't had them beyond 300 yet, but with that much difference at 300 there's no doubt the 1-6X is a much better tool for longer distances.

Optics-wise, the 1-6X24HD's are very good. At 1X they almost as good as the 1-4X as far as eye placement, "looking through an empty tube effect," etc. Though I didn't have them handy for a side by side from memory I'd say they're as good as the 1-4 S&B shortdot and better than the 1-4 NF I used to have in that respect, but the 1-4 SS does hold a slight edge.

I didn't have any other 1-6's to compare optics on 6X, but when set to 4X and compared with the 1-4 SS the glass is definitely better in the 1-6X at that power and everybody knows how good the 1-4HD's glass is. I'll have to wait until I get my hands on some other 1-6X's to see how they compare there.

Neat.

The 1-6 zoom range fixes what I didn't like about the donut reticle on the 1-4 which is that the donut remained within the FOV at 4X and I didn't care much for the obstruction/clutter.

With the 1-6 the donut goes away at max power-- perfect!

I also like what they did with the capped & uncapped turret options. Gives the end user two options and saves SWFA from having to offer capped & uncapped versions of the scope.

Looks like I'll be swapping my 1-4 for a 1-6 when it's released...

Interesting. I still would prefer an uncapped version since I really dislike running something with fine thread exposed. Sooner or later then end up getting messed up...

Thanks for the write up.
I just picked up a used sshd 1-4 and I love it. Is the eye relief on the 1-6x the same as the 1-4x?

Thanks

Jon,thank you for a great reveiw on this new scope.Look's like a winner.Guideing in Alaska this would work on anything from sheep hunts,to brown bear up close.The one thing i like is the reticle is bold, where you can pick it up on a overcast day if your in the pucker brush.Or take a longish shot on sheep/goat.Had 2 hunter's this year running Leupold 1.5x5 duplex crosshair.Jim Sr. took his sheep laser ranged 521 yds,his son Jim took it at 370yds.They sighted in using the heavy part of the duplex post,center crosshair was dead on at around 365yds and the bottom heavy part of duplex was pushing 500yds.I think i'll need one of these SWFA 1x6x scopes soon before i go back up in April for spring bear.Great lookin scope.Again thank's waggs

thanks for the info , they look great ! i will be picking one up soon!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BIPMaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cannot wait for the first group buy on these. </div></div>

This

This is one of the best scope review/picture threads I have ever seen. More SS scopes will be sold because of this no doubt. I need one for an AR build I have going. I have a Burris Tac30 1-4 on my 16" short range setup and one of these SS 1-6's would be great for the upper I'm working on now. One of those reticles would be way better than the Tac30 for longer range work.

Everything about the scope looks great for a 1-6x.

Thanks for the post, its a good one.

hmmmmm......stupid hide making me spend more money. i'd really think hard about adding this to my 16" AR over the BurrisTac30 1-4 I have now.

Any idea on price?

+1 for info on price, these look awesome. Rath

This SS 1-6x HD looks very nice indeed. (Love that new Donut of Death
wink.gif
).

Can't wait for the price and head-to-head comparisons with some of the other 1-6x and similar offerings that have recently come out.

Of all the shot show threads I've read this is the first product I've seen that has hit my "gotta have one" list. I was fortunate enough to get an early 1-4 HD SS just over a year ago. It has become my go to scope for many applications. The whole "red dot to mildot" concept rocks. I've had it mounted on a M4 Colt, a M-16A4 Colt (semiautos) a HK91, a M1A NM, a LMT MWS and a Remington 600 in .308. The round count using this scope is over 5000 rounds. I've used it in the dessert at 110 degrees and in the snow at 12 degrees. I've gotten it wet in a rain storm and have had zero problems with it. I've taken running Jack rabbits at 20 yards with it and shot steel silhouettes out to 800 yards with it. I have never wished it was more robust, had better glass or more precise adjustments. I have wished it had more magnification. Out to 600 yards I'm fine with it on steel. Between 600 yards and 800 yards I can do better with the same rifle and loads using one of my 3-9X42 SS scopes. These 60 year old eyes need a little help. I'll get one when I can, sight unseen. I currently own five SS scopes and every one of them has exceeded my expectations.

SON OF A B!TCH. I really didn't plan on any other AR optics. Now this. If it's reasonably priced, I'm gonna have a hard time passing.

Had a SS 1-4 and chose to pick up a NF 1-4 instead. But a 1-6x will undoubtedly win out.

Shit another item to make me go broke !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
laugh.gif
love it though hehehe. I wonder what the price set will be to.

Thanks for the post Jon!

Aron-

Hi Jon. Got a question. I have a 10x I use with my HK91 and with the HK factory quick disconnect mount it just sits to darn far back. It is 3 1/2 inches from the eyepiece to the front of the parallax adjuster. I have the ring all the way up next to the adjuster (power adjuster on that one). What is the measurement on that one. Looks like I may be able to get at least an extra inch or inch and a half.

And to think, I was saving my pennies for the 1-4 for 3-gun. Now I really have to dig in the couch!!!

I actually prefer the T reticle over the Donut of death... i chose it for my 1-4.

Looking forward to some in depth reviews. Plan on picking up a 1-6.
smile.gif

Super awesome, before it comes out group buy?!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnnyDL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">price,price,price...release,release,release...when,when,when...hurry,hurry,hurry.i don't want i need,please hurry. </div></div>

Oh boy....hear we go again. But your right Johnny, you do need it. When I get a day to go shooting the one rifle I know is going with me is what ever my 1-4 SS HD is mounted on.

I've been putting off buying a 1-4 because I figured a 1-6 was due out soon. Tell em hurry up!

Excellent news. I'd really like to hear an ETA too. The SS 1-4 is the best 1-4 I've used, so I'm definitely looking forward to this.

The circle reticle looks perfect to me, I wouldn't change a thing. I like the mil ticks on the heavy duplex, I'm assuming they're 5 mils a piece. Should be handy for indicating targets to other shooters.

I'm a big fan of the new turret style too, it'll let me run the elevation open and the windage capped, but still have the option to cap the elevation for movement/transport/storage.

Should be perfect for my MWS, and then I can bump my 1-4 down to an AR-15. Added benefit of familiar optics feel between the two rifles.

How about thread protectors for those worried about damaging the threads when running uncapped? That'd be super cool. Kinda like the tread protector on a barrel.

I've been a mouse click away from ordering a 1-4X SS but now I think I'll have to wait. Looking forward to a group buy.

OK guys, I'll try to answer most of the questions that have been brought up:

I have no exact price on it. Obviously it'll be more than the 1-4X but I think they'll keep it pretty reasonable. It should be very competitive with the newer offerings with a high "bang for the buck" ratio as usual but we'll need to wait and see exactly where they end up. The quality/durability of the 1-4X is well proven and the same can be expected from this.

I have no delivery date either so guessing would only get me in trouble. I can say this is not a 1-off show model, it's basically ready for production now.

On the scopes themselves:

There is no tunneling at any power. I have the FOV specs written down somewhere, I'll try and find them.

There is no illumination bleed. It's even better than the 1-4X in that regard.

Thread protectors will be offered for those who want to run with the turrets uncovered.

The eye relief looks to be around 4" or maybe just a hair under and relatively constant throughout the range, only changing .1-.2" or so. So it is definitely usable for a big bore DGR for those so inclined. For those who like their noses literally on the charging handle, you probably want a mount with more forward extension than the "slightly forward" Bobro shown.

The friendliness or "eyebox" is similar to the 1-4X. Better than most scopes on 1X, not quite as good on 6X. Like the 1-4, on 6X it's mainly in regard to reticle focus--not the image of the target. So if you move your head around looking at the reticle on 6X, you can make it go out of focus if you try but if you're looking at the target downrange as you should be it's not something I notice much. Like I said, similar to the 1-4X in that regard so if you're happy with those you'll be happy with this.

Reticle impressions:

While I like the Circle much better, I actually find the T-reticle on this nicer than on the 1-4. The center portion is closer to the center so it seems to be a better aiming point on 1X with illumination. I think it looks really good for that. On 6X it's OK, but the posts that look so good on 1X are sort of big and distracting, especially with the illumination on. It's certainly a reticle that'll get the job done but I think the vast majority would choose the circle concept.

The circle reticle kicks ass. Having the circle go completely out of the FOV makes a big difference. On 6X it looks like any other mid or high power tactical scope set on 6X, with no horseshoe covering the target, no big dot covering your aiming point, no generic BDC, etc. I think that's what a lot of people are looking for in a "dual role" scope for long range use. It's better for low light as well with the illumination only lighting the center with no big posts or circle lit up washing out the picture.

The center has 1/2 Mil hashes, and with 6X they are actually usable. The lines on the posts are at 5 mil intervals and could be handy if you need to point out a target to somebody.

On 1X at close range it's very good. As you can see when lit up it looks much like the Leupold Circle-dot in size but it's thicker and easier to see when not illuminated. Some may still prefer the smaller circle in the 1-4X for that while some may not. While the larger circle may seem less precise for farther targets, say, in the 25-75 yd range when on 1X the posts inside the circle are very easy to see and make pinpoint aiming much easier than an empty circle. I think it works well.

I also notice the larger circle makes the scope nicer to use on 2-5X. Even before it disappears completely, it gives you a more open view of the target and isn't in the way. This scope doesn't need to be used as a 1X or 6X with a switch between. Some may find they like putting it on 3X or so and just leaving it for a particular bunch of targets. It's very fast and friendly to use that way.

Like the reticles in the 1-4X, these are both very fast and usable on 1X in very bright to very dim light without the illumination. The illumination helps, but the scopes are still very usable without it in most any conditions. That's important to some people but not others. Some of the most expensive scopes don't do this very well.

I'll try to take a pic of the illumination in bright light if the sun ever comes out again. It has been a pretty gloomy month or so here. I heard the sun blew up or something…. Anyway the illumination brightness is basically the same as the 1-4--bright enough to be helpful in all but the very brightest conditions, but not quite aimpoint bright.

Hopefully that covers most of the questions.

Alright Jon, now I have to have one. Dammit man, I'm not even halfway done paying off the last scope I had to have.

CIRCLE RETICLE FOR ME

Circle:
PICT0344.JPG

PICT0351.JPG

PICT0401.JPG

PICT0407.JPG

PICT0406.JPG

PICT0415.JPG

PICT0414.JPG

PICT0355.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon A</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The circle reticle kicks ass. Having the circle go completely out of the FOV makes a big difference. On 6X it looks like any other mid or high power tactical scope set on 6X, with no horseshoe covering the target, no big dot covering your aiming point, no generic BDC, etc. I think that's what a lot of people are looking for in a "dual role" scope for long range use. It's better for low light as well with the illumination only lighting the center with no big posts or circle lit up washing out the picture.
</div></div>

It does kick ass and I hope that is one of the options for sure.

I will be pissed if I can't squeeze in this group buy. Looks like its time to sell some stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Prairie Dog Dundee</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnnyDL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">price,price,price...release,release,release...when,when,when...hurry,hurry,hurry.i don't want i need,please hurry. </div></div>

Oh boy....hear we go again. But your right Johnny, you do need it. When I get a day to go shooting the one rifle I know is going with me is what ever my 1-4 SS HD is mounted on. </div></div>yes i do.just about to lay down some coin on the 1-4,but would much rather have the 1-6.i have a 16" flat top upper ar 10 that needs a scope bad!was going to get the 1-4 but 1-6 would be better for yote dogs.

What's the expected battery life?

My 1-4 last about 4 range sessions (turned off between outings) and is the only thing I don't like about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's the expected battery life?

My 1-4 last about 4 range sessions (turned off between outings)...</div></div>

I once accidentally left my 1-4 dialed to 11 on a Friday AM, and it was still going the next time I looked through it on Monday PM. It was definitely dimmed, but still on, maybe about as bright as it normally is on 7 or so.

I have no idea at what point it stopped being super-bright and started fading.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon A</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK guys, I'll try to answer most of the questions that have been brought up:

I have no exact price on it. Obviously it'll be more than the 1-4X but I think they'll keep it pretty reasonable. It should be very competitive with the newer offerings with a high "bang for the buck" ratio as usual but we'll need to wait and see exactly where they end up. The quality/durability of the 1-4X is well proven and the same can be expected from this.

I have no delivery date either so guessing would only get me in trouble. I can say this is not a 1-off show model, it's basically ready for production now.

On the scopes themselves:

There is no tunneling at any power. I have the FOV specs written down somewhere, I'll try and find them.

There is no illumination bleed. It's even better than the 1-4X in that regard.

Thread protectors will be offered for those who want to run with the turrets uncovered.

The eye relief looks to be around 4" or maybe just a hair under and relatively constant throughout the range, only changing .1-.2" or so. So it is definitely usable for a big bore DGR for those so inclined. For those who like their noses literally on the charging handle, you probably want a mount with more forward extension than the "slightly forward" Bobro shown.

The friendliness or "eyebox" is similar to the 1-4X. Better than most scopes on 1X, not quite as good on 6X. Like the 1-4, on 6X it's mainly in regard to reticle focus--not the image of the target. So if you move your head around looking at the reticle on 6X, you can make it go out of focus if you try but if you're looking at the target downrange as you should be it's not something I notice much. Like I said, similar to the 1-4X in that regard so if you're happy with those you'll be happy with this.

Reticle impressions:

While I like the Circle much better, I actually find the T-reticle on this nicer than on the 1-4. The center portion is closer to the center so it seems to be a better aiming point on 1X with illumination. I think it looks really good for that. On 6X it's OK, but the posts that look so good on 1X are sort of big and distracting, especially with the illumination on. It's certainly a reticle that'll get the job done but I think the vast majority would choose the circle concept.

The center has 1/2 Mil hashes, and with 6X they are actually usable. The lines on the posts are at 5 mil intervals and could be handy if you need to point out a target to somebody.

On 1X at close range it's very good. As you can see when lit up it looks much like the Leupold Circle-dot in size but it's thicker and easier to see when not illuminated. Some may still prefer the smaller circle in the 1-4X for that while some may not. While the larger circle may seem less precise for farther targets, say, in the 25-75 yd range when on 1X the posts inside the circle are very easy to see and make pinpoint aiming much easier than an empty circle. I think it works well.

I also notice the larger circle makes the scope nicer to use on 2-5X. Even before it disappears completely, it gives you a more open view of the target and isn't in the way. This scope doesn't need to be used as a 1X or 6X with a switch between. Some may find they like putting it on 3X or so and just leaving it for a particular bunch of targets. It's very fast and friendly to use that way.

Like the reticles in the 1-4X, these are both very fast and usable on 1X in very bright to very dim light without the illumination. The illumination helps, but the scopes are still very usable without it in most any conditions. That's important to some people but not others. Some of the most expensive scopes don't do this very well.

I'll try to take a pic of the illumination in bright light if the sun ever comes out again. It has been a pretty gloomy month or so here. I heard the sun blew up or something&#133;. Anyway the illumination brightness is basically the same as the 1-4--bright enough to be helpful in all but the very brightest conditions, but not quite aimpoint bright.

Hopefully that covers most of the questions.
</div></div>
All except mine.
smile.gif

This is very cool. I never used or seen any of their scopes except on the internet. Can anyone with first hand knowledge comment on the Glass, Quality, tracking, etc.?? Also whats the price and release date I didn't see it anywhere, but I guess its possible that I missed it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All except mine.
smile.gif
</div></div>
Sorry, missed it. If I understand your question correctly, you basically want the length of the eyepiece including the power ring? It's about 3 5/8 to 3 3/4" depending upon your diopter setting. So I don't think you can move it any farther forward than your current scope.

An important issue I forgot to mention:

The circuit board and contacts underneath the battery, as well as the battery cover have been redesigned and appear to be completely shockproof.

So this scope should be completely unaffected by the flickering illumination issue that some 1-4X's suffered.