• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes SWFA SS 10x or 20x

ForceResponse

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2011
Florence, KY
www.forceresponse.com
Yes, another newb. Looking to try out the SS scopes that seem to be all the rage. Want to put one on an AR10 for work between 600-800yds, but with the option of working at 1000. Can you suggest pros/cons of getting the 10x over the 20x?

Go easy on me, I'm a CQB guy in the process of a religious conversion.

Re: SWFA SS 10x or 20x

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ForceResponse</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Can you suggest pros/cons of getting the 10x over the 20x? </div></div>

So it seems you already know that you should be looking at the 10, not the 20...
wink.gif

I have noticed that less magnification has effected our relationship positively in the fallowing ways:

1. You want to shoot out to 800-1000? You will need to keep an eye on conditions! 10x lets you see MORE conditions down range.

2. 20x is a pretty got'dang high magnification to be glued to...

3. 10x is smaller isnt it? Concider that a pro.

4. 10x is cheaper isnt it? Concider that a pro.

I have noticed that less magnification has effected our relationship negatively in the fallowing ways:

1. Its fixed, so you cant go any lower than 10x, still not a CON compared to 20x.

the only negative with the 20x is if you shoot in days with heavy mirage .
the distances you mention are perfect for prone long distance shooting with a 20x.If you want to shoot much shorter ranges standing then get a 10x or be even smarter and get a variable scope-sightron will see you right in both price and reasonable quality

Yeah, I'm definitel;y leaning toward the 10x...just need to have a clear conscience when I write the check. My buddy's in love with his 20x, but he's a bolt nerd.

Hadn't considered the ability to evaluate more conditions downrange. *facepalm*

Thanks!

Stick with the 10x, it will suit you fine to 1k. I bought a 20x myself a while back a sold it for the 10 after one trip to the range.

I went with the 16x myself. I think it's a perfect compromise. The 10x left a bit to be desired in magnification and the 20x I thought was a bit on the cloudy side. (I happen to have all three models in my basement between my brother, cousin and myself) I have an prefer the 16x but that's just me. If you ever think you're going to hunt at close range with it get the 10x. If it's only for varmet and target shooting then 16x. Which ever you pick you will be happy with it.

Good luck,
Merritt

Burris Xtreme Tactical rings are good to go; I would get the high ones if you plan on running a BUIS. They're not expensive, and are probably the most solid aluminum rings out there.

***ETA: Here's a LR308 with a 10x SS mounted on high Burris XTR rings:
DSC09751.jpg

I have been looking at the TPS scope rings. Recently got the 20 MOA TPS steel base and really really impressed witht he quality of it
smile.gif

This would be cool cause SWFA has all the stuff you need the scope, the rings, and the base.

At one time I had a 20x SS. It was very noticeably dimmer than just about any other scope. In fact it is dimmer than a variable I had on 24x.

Jim

Honest real world opinion on your choices:

1. The Burris rings... I sold mine the day I got them due to the fact they were off center to my tactical rail. Some might not notice, but it really bothered me. I used Warne 213 rings instead. I am very picky when it comes to things lining up correctly, and the Burris rings were a HUGE mistake. Yes, they are cheap... but there is a reason. Snag you a set of SS High rings from Cheaper Than Dirt. Almost the same LOW cost, but FAR better set of rings. My opinion, which is mine.

2. 10X SS vs. 20X... I have owned 2 10X's, 2 16X's, and a 20X SS. By far my favorite has been the 16X. It is the perfect compromise when looking at the various magnifications that you can have. The 10X would be my first choice if all I ever did was hunt with it, but I shoot alot more targets than I ever will animals. The 20X is very restrictive to shooting much longer ranges. The 16X is the best overall magnification for both intended uses. In fact, I will be picking up another 16X this weekend when I go by SWFA, since I am here in Texas visiting my family. Again, this is my real world opinion.

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ForceResponse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bang for buck these SWFA seem to be gtg. </div></div>

You are absolutely 100% correct on that statement...

DK

I had the 16X and was happy with it. For the money it was a good scope. Something to note is with 16x and 20x is the FOV is almost the same. We are talking in the 6.X range at 100 yards, so if FOV is important the 10x might be better at 13 feet. Just make sure you know what is most important for you and your situation, and make a decision off that. If just banging steel at the range then 16x or 20x would probably be better, but if you have another app. you want to use then the 10x might be more versatile.