• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SWFA SS 10X40? for newbie

1975CJ5

Private
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2010
Wasilla Alaska
Looking at possible getting a 10X42 super sniper scope. Never heard of em, so what is your take. Would be going on a 223 sps tactical or a sps 308 varmint. all honest info wanted. Is this a decent scope, comparable to Leupold or Burris, or is it lower in quality, clarity?

Thanks Billy

Re: SWFA SS 10X40? for newbie

The super sniper HD is an outstanding scope a little more coin but well worth it.

The standard SS 10x is a very serviceable scope. many in use and few with issues with them. The glass isn't the best but well worth what you pay for it. The new 10X HD is one of the best values in glass you can get for less than a grand. I have used the standard 10X for a long time. Its more than capable of work at 1000yds. If your Budgets around the price of the standard 10X Super Sniper, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better 10X anywhere around that number.

If you asked "what is recommended" most answers would at least include the SS and many would have that as the only. It's good quality and is cost-effective. Yes, later on you may change, either for even better quality or different requirements.

As RJ said, it is a pretty good scope. Not only that but if you ever want to sell it, you can get just about all you put into it back. I've had one for about 4 years and sure if I wanted to sell, I wouldn't be hard pressed to get my cash back.
Chad

Don't have any experience with the SS 10x but have read great things over the years. If you are looking for other options, let me throw out the Bushnell Elite 3200 10x ($200). I have two of them and work great and are very clear and durable.

Take care,
Hawk

I have a Bushnell 3200 10x I'm using a .22, and while it's decent, it's not at all impressive, and I highly doubt I'd ever buy one again unless I got an amazing deal on one. Plus, if you want to do any shooting at anything closer than about 75 yards, don't count on this thing to focus. Now, I'm sure the SS is a better scope, so this may not be relevant.

I had a Bushnell elite 10x 3200 before I had a SS 10x and there is a noticable difference in the glass but only minor. The big difference was the performance of the ss over the 3200. Its a lot better on tracking and feedback than the 3200 and to me it is definatly worth the extra money for the SS. Plus the SS holds its value better.

The first one SWFA sent me was defective. After about 100 rds. of 7MM MAG, the reticle canted 5 degrees clockwise. I sent it back and the replacement has given me 3 years of dependable work with .308/.338/50BMG. Nothing better for that price.