• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SWFA SS 16x42

TannerGun

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2012
Colorado!
Alright guys sorry for all the threads lately, just a lot of questions going through my mind.

I attempted to cancel my order on a 16x42 I ordered off the sample list (thought I found a better deal), was told it was cancelled, and called back today to confirm that, to be told that it was actually sent to me.

No big deal, not dissing on SWFA here, just some information got lost in transition it seems.

Now my question is, what do you guys think of the 16x42? I've heard that it's a much "darker" scope than the 10x42, which is actually the one I think wouuld suit me better...

Re: SWFA SS 16x42

They are both very good, I chose the 10x because it was going on a rifle that is used for hunting as well as target. Honestly, if you have a bit more patience, this spring SWFA is coming out with mil turrets on the original SS line...And a 12x. And they are going to be priced the same as they are now, $299!

Billy I'm trying to stick with an MOA system, though it would be really nice to go MIl/Mil instead of MOA/Mil. Just wanted a bit of input on the quality of the glass in the 16x, FOV, clarity, etc.

The FOV are posted on SWFA's website. Of course the 16x is going to be a bit "dimmer", simply because of a smaller exit pupil. Clarity, well for the most part that is subjective. Both scopes use the same glass, and the original SS are known for having "serviceable" glass, but sometimes more mag shows more imperfections as well...YMMV

I had a 16X ss and it was fine for punching paper. I never shot it in really low light but typically I am at the range as the sun comes up and I never had a problem seeing my targets under those lighting conditions. I also never found it difficult to get a good sight picture using that scope. I would not recommend the 16X if you are going to be hunting with the scope inside of 150 yards as the small field of view might make target acquisition slower.

looking at both of mine (10x &16x) the 16x is a little dimmer but nothing i can't deal with ! i think you'll be fine either way you decide to go!

Hmmm. I was going to just send it back when it gets here... but i think I'll take a look through it and check it out for a day or two. Seems like some mixed reviews on it.

I don't think the reviews are mixed at all: for the price, it is a serviceable 16X optic. As a general rule, a 16X optic will be dimmer than a 10X with same objective diameter.
Whether you should keep it is entirely dependent on usage - which has not been explictly stated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: billyburl2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...this spring SWFA is coming out with mil turrets on the original SS line...And a 12x. And they are going to be priced the same as they are now, $299! </div></div>

That sounds great, I will be one of the first to order...mil/mil is what I want.

I like my 16X SS. Optics are good enough for me, the FOV is the main detractor to me, but if you want 16X, it is what it is.

In my experience the 16X makes a good LR scope for distances roughly 600 on out to a mile, 10X is better for all-around use near to far.

SS16X on a 308Win.
IMG_1467.jpg

It'll pretty much be a steel/paper puncher from 500 and out. Going on a rig used for 'yote hunting too.

I absolutely love the 16XSS scopes. I have had several, and as soon as the new MIL/MIL Mil-Quad SS scopes come out, those are the only scopes that my rifles will be sporting!! Love'em!!

I gotta hand it to SWFA... THEY FREAKIN LISTEN TO THEIR CUSTOMERS!!

DK

Looks good Shane. Seems like 10x may serve be a little better though... Shoot.

Might just have to make sure they're called in from a long way off! Thanks.... I'll give er a shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: billyburl2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are both very good, I chose the 10x because it was going on a rifle that is used for hunting as well as target. Honestly, if you have a bit more patience, this spring SWFA is coming out with mil turrets on the original SS line...And a 12x. And they are going to be priced the same as they are now, $299! </div></div>

Very excited to hear that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: billyburl2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And they are going to be priced the same as they are now, $299! </div></div>

And this is exactly why I will be getting MORE of them!! Best deal going... anywhere!!

DK