• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes SWFA SS 3-9x / Leupold VX-R 3-9x vs NF 2.5-10x

buckjay

Private
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2011
Hawaii
I'm in middle of putting together my first SPR (5.56) type rifle. I'm going with a Noveske 17" barrel (courtesy of MSTN) and I'm getting hung up on an optic.

I can afford either the SWFA SS 3-9x42mm MIL-QUAD or the Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x with TMR reticle. I can get the Leupold for $120 cheaper then the SWFA SS 3-9x thanks to a current special.

My other option is I could save up for another 4 months and grab the Nightforce 2.5-10x32mm with the MILDOT reticle and MRAD ZS turrets. But the price is going to be about $1600.

I'm going to be shooting paper at around 100-200 yards and then shooting steel at around 600-800 yards. I don't imagine myself shooting past 800 as there is no feasible area to shoot further then 800 yards where I live.

I would appreciate a recommendation from the more seasoned shooters that have some experiences with the above mentioned scopes. Choosing between the SWFA SS 3-9x and the Leupold and then the NF 2.5-10x. I'm a firm believer in buy once, cry once, but if there's no real difference for my intended uses then $1000 in the pocket could go a long way with some quality ammunition.

Thanks for your time!

Re: SWFA SS 3-9x / Leupold VX-R 3-9x vs NF 2.5-10x

Can't comment on the Nightforce. I do however run a SS - 3-9x42 on my AR in a GG&G FLT quick detatch mount.

I love the SS - that's all there is too it. I also shoot at paper 100-200 yds and steel out to about 600. It's been plenty of scope for those uses. Also used the gun for deer hunting last fall.

The SS is also the only FFP scope out of the three. After having used FFP, I personally wouldn't ever go back to a SFP scope.

It also seems that SWFA is no longer selling the Mil-Dot version of the 3-9 - it's not on their site as of last night. This should mean that the Mil-Quad version should start showing up on the Sample list for $499.00 in awhile. If you can't wait, $599 is still a great price.

Thanks for the feedback. I have a feeling the SWFA or Leupold 3-9x TMR would more then fit my needs but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't really missing out on anything with the Nightforce. (I know ZS is nice, but is it worth $1000? I will never see the added durability of the Nightforce)

I have the SS 3-9 mil-quad on a LMT MRP with 18" SS barrel mounted with a NF Uni-mount. It is a nice scope for this type of build. I have shot out to 820 yards with this rig and 77gr SMK/RL15 handloads. I find the scope very good for the money. I currently have it on my 308 TRG until my Hensoldt 3-12x56 gets here next week. The reticle is a little thick for a bolt gun like the TRG that is capable of sub 0.5 moa groups but it is perfect for the AR format. My AR shoots 5 shot groups of about 3/4-1.0 moa at 100 yards with this scope. The turrets are reliable and the glass is good. I also find the eye relief and sight picture pretty good. I would recommend the lens shade as direct sun on the front lens element does degrade the image rather significantly. The throw lever is also a nice option. I like the reticle pattern in the scope.

I have no experience with the other scopes other than looking through a NF at the store. I believe it had the MLR? reticle. I thought it was a little too thin for my tastes. I also only buy FFP scopes, so never seriously considered the NF.

I have a Nightforce 2.5-10x32 sitting on top of my 18'' REPR. I would say go with the NF if you shoot often enough to justify the cost. Defiantly get the zero stop option. I have shot mine out to 1K at a 16x16 inch target with no problems if i do my part. Larue Poppers at 750 are not too difficult with it either. It gets my vote for one of the best compact tactical scopes.

Have you looked at the Vortex PST 2.5-10x44? It is around the SWFA 3-9x40 price and Liberty Optics will be getting in their shipment this week or next.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buckjay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can get the Leupold for $120 cheaper then the SWFA SS 3-9x thanks to a current special.</div></div>

Link please!
smile.gif

The NightForce is great, but I think for many people the Super Sniper 3-9 would be the better choice.

First Focal Plane
Cheaper
Larger objective lens

My SWFA 3-9x42 is on my AR.