• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SWFA SS 5-20x50mm illum -vs- IOR 3-18x42 SH LT158

michael_aos

Sergeant
Minuteman
Two rifles, two scopes. Trying to decide if one option makes more sense. I have 30mm & 34mm rings.

Remington 700 with 24" Lilja in 260 Remington. Barrel has been abused but still shoots OK. Manners T5A stock.

Eagle / Armalite AR-10 built up from parts with 22" Lilja barrel in 260 Remington. Hasn't seen much use.

I'm leaning toward a Larua SPR-S Mount LT158. The question is whether I order it in 30mm or 35mm.

I'm leaning toward putting the IOR on the AR-10, except that leaves me with a spare set of 35mm rings and the mere 42mm objective will make it look a little weird.

Ordering the 30mm version of the LT158 gives me a lot more options to fit a different scope in the future, including something with a ~56mm object that might look more-correct.

I'm still leaning toward the IOR though. Any thoughts either way?

Re: SWFA SS 5-20x50mm illum -vs- IOR 3-18x42 SH LT158

Put the 3-18 IOR on the AR as you can get it far enough back for comfortable eye relief.

When I had a 3-18 IOR on my R700 I couldn't get it back far enough for comfortable eye relief above 14X and I was stretching my neck even after I shortened the LOP on the stock to try to make it easier to get in the scope on higher powers. I fixed that problem by swapping it for a 3.5-18 x 50 IOR which has more tube length behind the turret box and longer eye relief than the 3-18 x 42.

I had no problem getting the 3-18 IORs to work on my ARs as I could get them mounted back far enough for proper eye relief on 14-18x. I used rings direct to the uppers. That doesn't put any cant in the system but the Larue mount you have in mind will do just that. Another option is a Badger 22MOA riser plus standard 35mm rings.

Put the 5-20HD on your bolt gun, the more "standard" tube & turret configuration plus very forgiving eye relief means you won't run into any mounting limitations.