• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes SWFA SS for a Nikon Monarch

Justinray

Private
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2013
I have a Nikon Monarch 4.5-16 Mildot scope that I have the opportunity to trade for a SWFA SS 20 power fixed, and wanted to check to see if this is a feasible trade. The gun I'm scoping is a Rem 700 in 30-06 that is dedicated to 600-1200 yds, only reason I shoot it closer than that is sighting and practice.

Does the SS 20x have mil adjustments with mil-quad reticle? Mil/mil is always nice, but if you are getting by just fine with the mil/moa Nikon, that isn't much of an issue. The SS 16x is mentioned quite often as being noticeably dimmer than the famed SS 10x; the 20x even more so. I think magnification above 16x really benefits from 50mm and up objectives, as the exit pupils just get small in a hurry. The SS line are great, but not quite good enough glass for being fixed at 20x continually. Some guys like them fine though, it all depends on your eyes and your expectations.

If you are dedicating your setup to 600-1000 yards, it would be worth it to save up at least $700ish for a nice upgrade.
If the Nikon is working fine for you, I don't see the SS 20x being much of an upgrade, as you'll want to upgrade from the 20x fairly soon anyway, IMO.

That broke it down fairly well. That was the original plan, but the option for a trade came up and wanted to see if it was worth it.

SWFA 20X mil/mil is my favorite budget scope. Shot it today on my 22LR tranier with CCI Highpower HP. Cleaned out the 1" target at 50 yds with 20 mph gusting wind from left to right. Only within 4 MOA at 100 yds. Wind at that extra distant is a bitch!

Last edited:
i have the same monarch. i really like it. i also have an swfa 10x42 i really like it to. i like the monarch better fro hunting sfp so the cross hair is not hard to find at low power variable so it has a low power. for long range it does not have a lot of internal adjustment. this is where i like my swfa better. lots of internal adjustment.