• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SWFA SS HD 1-4x24 scopes FINALLY available!

SWFA

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2002
Texas
www.swfa.com
<span style="font-weight: bold">The long awaited and long anticipated SWFA SS HD 1-4x24 scopes are FINALLY available! </span>
<span style="color: #FF0000">All backorders and any new orders will start shipping 02-15-11.</span>

The SWFA SS HD 1-4x24 takes new steps in quality and performance. Baring no expenses and designed to give the shooter the edge needed. The two new first focal plane MIL based reticles allow for unprecedented target acquisition at short ranges, yet still functional for long range precision shots. Matching 1/10 MIL turrets with 10 MIL’s per revolution available in exposed turrets or capped turrets. Daylight practical reticle offering 11 illuminated positions of intensity with an off setting in between each intensity.

SWFA SS 1-4x24 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
•First Focal Plane Illuminated Donut (Circle/Mil-Scale)
•Exposed Turrets
<span style="color: #FF0000">$799.95</span>

•First Focal Plane Illuminated Donut (Circle/Mil-Scale)
•Capped Turrets
Donut.jpg

•First Focal Plane Illuminated T (Circle/Mil-Scale)
•Exposed Turrets

•First Focal Plane Illuminated T (Post/Mil-Scale)
•Capped Turrets
T.jpg

SS_ad_800x1035_.jpg

SS14_announcement.jpg

1-4_Donut_Subtensions.jpg

1-4_T_Subtensions.jpg

Re: SWFA SS HD 1-4x24 scopes FINALLY available!

Oh if I only had the money. Should be a good contender against the Viper PST 1-4.

This is the best news I've had in a few months. Some of us have been waiting for these to come out for about a year. I was lucky enough to get to test drive two of the prototypes a few months ago and I think that SWFA got them right. The reticles were designed with lots of feed back from users including Hide members. I personally prefer the circle reticule but the Tee reticle worked just as well at close range at 1X. I used them both out to 800 yards. It is nice to see that capped knobs are available but I think I prefer exposed. I did a review if your interested.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2242104&page=1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ISBe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh if I only had the money. Should be a good contender against the Viper PST 1-4. </div></div>

If this is anything like the SS 3-9x, I'm thinking it will compete with the NF, IOR range 1-4x scopes, not one only 60% of its cost.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ISBe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh if I only had the money. Should be a good contender against the Viper PST 1-4. </div></div>

If this is anything like the SS 3-9x, I'm thinking it will compete with the NF, IOR range 1-4x scopes, not one only 60% of its cost. </div></div>

Eleaf

If you like the SWFA SS 3-9X42 you will not be disappointed with the SS 1-4 HD. The SS 1-4 HD are <span style="font-weight: bold">better</span> and that is not putting down the SS 3-9X42, I own two of the 3-9 and they are not for sale. With the SS 1-4 HD the quality of construction, glass and the precision of the adjustments, (10 mil per rotation), make it clear that these scopes are intended to compete with the professional grade optics. I like the reticle designs better than anything I have seen in a 1-4 optic. They are daylight visible and very practical.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Prairie Dog Dundee</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ISBe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh if I only had the money. Should be a good contender against the Viper PST 1-4. </div></div>

If this is anything like the SS 3-9x, I'm thinking it will compete with the NF, IOR range 1-4x scopes, not one only 60% of its cost. </div></div>

Eleaf

If you like the SWFA SS 3-9X42 you will not be disappointed with the SS 1-4 HD. The SS 1-4 HD are <span style="font-weight: bold">better</span> and that is not putting down the SS 3-9X42, I own two of the 3-9 and they are not for sale. With the SS 1-4 HD the quality of construction, glass and the precision of the adjustments, (10 mil per rotation), make it clear that these scopes are intended to compete with the professional grade optics. I like the reticle designs better than anything I have seen in a 1-4 optic. They are daylight visible and very practical. </div></div>

I bought it largely on your recommendations on how good it is (we've discussed it in various posts), and my experience with the 3-9x.

It's going on one of 2 guns: my coyote gun (AR in 204 Ruger) or my SHTF/Zombie gun.

I'm leaning towards the Coyote gun because it will likely see more use than the SHTF gun (I basically only function check it occasionally), and I'd hate to have such a fine optic on a gun that rarely gets used. Of course it could easily be used as my 3 Gun gun too (I don't currently compete in 3 Gun, but am VERY interested in it).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Prairie Dog Dundee</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ISBe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh if I only had the money. Should be a good contender against the Viper PST 1-4. </div></div>

Eleaf

If you like the SWFA SS 3-9X42 you will not be disappointed with the SS 1-4 HD. The SS 1-4 HD are <span style="font-weight: bold">better</span> and that is not putting down the SS 3-9X42, I own two of the 3-9 and they are not for sale. With the SS 1-4 HD the quality of construction, glass and the precision of the adjustments, (10 mil per rotation), make it clear that these scopes are intended to compete with the professional grade optics. I like the reticle designs better than anything I have seen in a 1-4 optic. They are daylight visible and very practical. </div></div>

I bought it largely on your recommendations on how good it is (we've discussed it in various posts), and my experience with the 3-9x.

It's going on one of 2 guns: my coyote gun (AR in 204 Ruger) or my SHTF/Zombie gun.

I'm leaning towards the Coyote gun because it will likely see more use than the SHTF gun (I basically only function check it occasionally), and I'd hate to have such a fine optic on a gun that rarely gets used. Of course it could easily be used as my 3 Gun gun too (I don't currently compete in 3 Gun, but am VERY interested in it). </div></div>

It should work well in any of those applications. The features that make a good DMR scope make a good coyote scope. I think this scope would make an excellent timber hunting scope. I have missed two Mule Deer in heavy timber when they were walking fast within 100 yards because I lost my cross hairs in all the vertical tree trunks and shadows. I was going to try it on my Scout rifle, (an old Remington 600 in .308 I had built years ago), and ran into mount problems and ran out of time with the prototypes. I'll try it when I get my own SS 1-4HD. I think it will out Scout the scout scope with very little increase in weight. If you choose to switch it between rifles its a piece of cake to rezero. When I tested them I used a Bobro and GG&G mount to switch between several rifles and never needed more than three shots to rezero because of the mil/mil features.

I am debating putting one on my MWS. Its got the 3-9x42 on it now, and that is great for the rifle except for fast shooting up close, but the 1-4 would serve pretty well for anything but tiny groups on paper at long range. The only thing I really am on the fence about is the low-light performance. I can't help but feel I will be losing some low-light ability moving from a 42mm objective to a 24mm. PDD, did you by chance compare these two models in low-light conditions?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Prairie Dog Dundee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

It should work well in any of those applications. The features that make a good DMR scope make a good coyote scope. I think this scope would make an excellent timber hunting scope. I have missed two Mule Deer in heavy timber when they were walking fast within 100 yards because I lost my cross hairs in all the vertical tree trunks and shadows. I was going to try it on my Scout rifle, (an old Remington 600 in .308 I had built years ago), and ran into mount problems and ran out of time with the prototypes. I'll try it when I get my own SS 1-4HD. I think it will out Scout the scout scope with very little increase in weight. If you choose to switch it between rifles its a piece of cake to rezero. When I tested them I used a Bobro and GG&G mount to switch between several rifles and never needed more than three shots to rezero because of the mil/mil features. </div></div>

Almost all of my coyote hunting is in the woods. I currently have the SS 3-9x on my coyote gun. I'm very much looking forward to either moving my trijicon 1-4x to it, or this new SS.

The one thing I wish they had on this reticle is 1/2 mil marks, but considering I won't be ranging with it I'll live.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jolly roger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am debating putting one on my MWS. Its got the 3-9x42 on it now, and that is great for the rifle except for fast shooting up close, but the 1-4 would serve pretty well for anything but tiny groups on paper at long range. The only thing I really am on the fence about is the low-light performance. I can't help but feel I will be losing some low-light ability moving from a 42mm objective to a 24mm. PDD, did you by chance compare these two models in low-light conditions? </div></div>

I did not do a side by side comparison between the SS 1-4 HD and the 3-9X42. I did some casual looking in my back yard at night but I live in a residential neighborhood in the suburbs and there are street lights etc about. I was mostly checking out the lower settings of illumination and just looking into shadows to see how much detail I could pick up. I can say it performed better in low light than my ACOG T50-4, (3X compact with amber crosshair). Last spring I was looking through that ACOG out of a bedroom window, (cabin, miles from other light sources), at a meadow at about 4:30 a.m. and was comparing the SS 3-9X42 to the same ACOG. I happened to see a Doe and Fawn, with the ACOG, moving through the meadow. I remember thinking I could make that shot. I put the SS 3-9X42 on the Deer and, at 3X, found I was looking at a Cow and a Calf Elk. I could see more detail with the SS 3-9X42.

In theory you'll get more exit pupil than your eye can handle with either scope at the lower settings and about the same exit pupil with the 1-4 set on four and the 3-9 set on seven which could be an advantage in some scenarios. How much the objective lens diameter would make in a practical sense I'm not sure. Maybe someone with more optical savvy can chime in. Good question.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ISBe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh if I only had the money. Should be a good contender against the Viper PST 1-4. </div></div>

I heard this is a Light Optical Works Japan made scope..so that means it will be more of a contender against the Voretex Razor not PST..Since the Razors are also made by Light Optics..

Excited about this one. Looks like a killer scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ISBe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh if I only had the money. Should be a good contender against the Viper PST 1-4. </div></div>

If the reticle is daytime bright then it's a step above the pst, at least in the 1X department.

Tax day is Tuesday! We'll see if the refund fairy visits or not...

Does the entire rear ocular turn with the magnification a la nightforce?

Can you post some pictures of the capped turrets with the caps off? I'm looking for this to be my 3-Gun optic so most of the time the caps will be on, but I want to see what the turret looks like underneath.

Also, what is the outside diameter of the ocular housing? I'm trying to get an idea on minimum mounting height and necessary clearance for a Troy BUIS. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you post some pictures of the capped turrets with the caps off? I'm looking for this to be my 3-Gun optic so most of the time the caps will be on, but I want to see what the turret looks like underneath.

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lower profile but still finger adjustable. You can pull it up and spin it back to zero then push it back down.</div></div>
Cappedturret.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Prairie Dog Dundee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

It should work well in any of those applications. The features that make a good DMR scope make a good coyote scope. I think this scope would make an excellent timber hunting scope. I have missed two Mule Deer in heavy timber when they were walking fast within 100 yards because I lost my cross hairs in all the vertical tree trunks and shadows. I was going to try it on my Scout rifle, (an old Remington 600 in .308 I had built years ago), and ran into mount problems and ran out of time with the prototypes. I'll try it when I get my own SS 1-4HD. I think it will out Scout the scout scope with very little increase in weight. If you choose to switch it between rifles its a piece of cake to rezero. When I tested them I used a Bobro and GG&G mount to switch between several rifles and never needed more than three shots to rezero because of the mil/mil features. </div></div>

Almost all of my coyote hunting is in the woods. I currently have the SS 3-9x on my coyote gun. I'm very much looking forward to either moving my trijicon 1-4x to it, or this new SS.

The one thing I wish they had on this reticle is 1/2 mil marks, but considering I won't be ranging with it I'll live. </div></div>

I owned a Trijicon TR24 and I think you'll like the SS 1-4 HD better for woods hunting. At 1 or 2X the Tee or Circle automatically centers your eye on the target automatically. If more precision you have a tiny mildot cross hair you can use. It is hard to describe but what is a practical mildot at 4X becomes a small crosshair at 1X. If it did not have the mildots I don't think it would be usable but the mildots add enough width to make it practical.

I noticed on another post that you own a Night Force and IOR in other power ranges. While I've used both I have owned neither. I know it's apples and oranges because of the difference in magnification but I'd like to hear your impressions regarding comparing; fit, finish, glass quality and adjustments.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tt350z</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does the entire rear ocular turn with the magnification a la nightforce? </div></div>

No, it is like the other SWFA SS scopes.

Thanks

Haven't used/owned a SS... But this looks like a viable scope for the AR... Now I just gotta sell the Meopta

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zohan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ISBe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh if I only had the money. Should be a good contender against the Viper PST 1-4. </div></div>

I heard this is a Light Optical Works Japan made scope..so that means it will be more of a contender against the Voretex Razor not PST..Since the Razors are also made by Light Optics.. </div></div>

I don't know where they are made but they are designed and manufactured to compete with the top end scopes. With the SWFA 1-4 HD you are buying from the manufacture who has comparatively low overheads compared with the "Big Boys" and you do not have distribuitor or wholeseller overheads and markups. This is why SWFA SS products are consistantly considered the best value at their price point. They are a bargin scope not a cheep scope and no I don't work for them. I'm just a customer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tt350z</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks

Haven't used/owned a SS... But this looks like a viable scope for the AR... Now I just gotta sell the Meopta </div></div>

If you look at the photos above you will see that there are three sections to the ocular lens housing. The flutes in the body of the housing are lined up perfectly and give the impression of it being one piece. The large section at the rear is for the reticle focus adjustment. The thin middle section is the lock ring for the focus adjustment. The sloped piece at the front is the magnification adjustment ring.

Looks great, can't wait to get some money saved up for one or two of these.

EDIT: The item is "technically" on backorder because it isn't officially available until tomorrow. According to SWFA, it will ship as planned tomorrow.

Should have called BEFORE yapping. Off to get the hairshirt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ordered it less than 2 hours after announcement here on the Hide and today I get an email saying it's backordered.

WTF?

The announcement above says backorders and new orders will be filled with this shipment. How is it that I can surely be one of the first people to order one after the announcement, yet not be able to get one? </div></div>

I ordered mine weeks ago, and all I have is the same back-order e-mail also.

I would speculate that everyone who orders will receive the same e-mail (computer generated) until these scopes start shipping. According to SWFA, they won't start shipping until 2/15

Relax.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ordered it less than 2 hours after announcement here on the Hide and today I get an email saying it's backordered.

WTF?

The announcement above says backorders and new orders will be filled with this shipment. How is it that I can surely be one of the first people to order one after the announcement, yet not be able to get one? </div></div>

I ordered mine weeks ago, and all I have is the same back-order e-mail also.

I would speculate that everyone who orders will receive the same e-mail (computer generated) until these scopes start shipping. According to SWFA, they won't start shipping until 2/15

Relax. </div></div>

Found that out when I called them. Should have called and clarified before posting. Will delete.

What does this scope have/do over the 1x4 Vortex PST?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">EDIT: The item is "technically" on backorder because it isn't officially available until tomorrow. According to SWFA, it will ship as planned tomorrow.

Should have called BEFORE yapping. Off to get the hairshirt.</div></div>

What the hell is a hairshirt?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tansinator</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">EDIT: The item is "technically" on backorder because it isn't officially available until tomorrow. According to SWFA, it will ship as planned tomorrow.

Should have called BEFORE yapping. Off to get the hairshirt.</div></div>

What the hell is a hairshirt? </div></div>

It's a medieval shirt made from hair and was used when making penance for sin. It's uncomfortable as hell, and hurts to move in. After just a few hours you will almost certainly have drawn blood from wearing it.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-hair-shirt.htm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What does this scope have/do over the 1x4 Vortex PST? </div></div>

HD glass. FFP v SFP. I think it also has a better reticle(s) than the PST.

All SS scopes are also known to be bombproof. I don't expect that this one will be any different. It was designed from the ground up to be used by the military (though it will be used on my coyote gun and not some valley in Afghanistan). The PST line is an attempt to make some of the features of higher end scopes more affordable.

My guess is that the SS will better compete with scopes like the NF 1-4x or the IOR pitbull or the Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x or Leupold, etc, not with scopes in lower price brackets. Because SS is sold only by the manufacturer (SWFA), there are no distributor or retailer markup costs, and that's why it can be priced a bit lower than most other scopes with similar features. When you eliminate middle men, you eliminate the cost of middle men.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What does this scope have/do over the 1x4 Vortex PST? </div></div>

I like Vortex and have two Vipers,(not PST). However, The SS 1-4 HD is more comparable in quality to the Vortex HD, Short Dot or NF. It, IMO, has far better features and the reticle design is better and in the FFP. In the lower mid price range I like the Vortex design but the SS 1-4 HD is priced a little higher in the midrange but is of the quality of much higher priced scopes with a better design in my opinion. And yes, I have used one.