• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SWFA SS-HD 5-20x50 vs. Nightforce

bassfishindoc

Private
Minuteman
May 31, 2011
The Hills of East TN
Hey everybody. I am relatively new to this forum and just stumbled up the group buy for the SWFA SS-HD 5-25x50 scope. This scope looks great and I have read some of the reviews on this forum about it and it seems like a quality optic. However, $1000 is a lot to spend and I have been saving up to buy a Nighforce 5.5-22x50. While I can tell this scope is a quality piece, what I want to know is how it compares to a NF NXS 5.5-22? The NF is only $181 more ($1681.00) if you take this scope at base value ($1499.95). Obviously with this deal you get the scope for $681 less than the NF, but the base price suggests its quality should be at the same level as the NF. Is this true? I want the best quality I can get and would rather save some more and get the more expensive NF if it is heads and tails above this scope. However, if there is really no difference in quality and the SWFA is at the same level as NF then I would love to get a great deal on a quality piece and spend the rest on ammo. What do you guys think?

Re: SWFA SS-HD 5-20x50 vs. Nightforce

First, decide what type of shooting you want to do. Then decide whether you want FFP or SFP. That should be the starting point for your decision.

You're trying to compare two entirely different scopes.

SS=FFP
NXs=SFP

There would be my biggest decision first. Not the cost vs cost.

It's hard to say since most of us don't have the scope in hand yet. The Nightforce 3.5-15x50mm F1 is a great scope and would be the one to compare the SWFA SS to.

Jon A got his hands on one of the prototypes and has a good write up on it here.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/swfa-super-sniper-5-20x50hd-72157/

He says the glass is outstanding and is one par with IOR and Premier. That is saying a lot considering those scopes cost two to three times the SWFA SS. The main thing the Nightforce has on the SS is Zero Stop, which is convenient but is it worth $1290? That's the cost difference between the Nightforce and the SWFA with the group buy discount.

If money was not an issue the Nightforce F1 would be my choice out of the two. But then if I had the money then I would get a USO instead which isn't that much more expensive than the F1. A fully customized USO SN3-TPAL with EREK knobs Mil/Mil is $2700. So at least for me and my money until I can drop $2700 for a USO I'll stick with the SWFA SS for $1000

I apologize if I deviated from the original question a bit.

how do I get in on the group buy? I was actually going to pick one of these up next week but at full price..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dallas4rceMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how do I get in on the group buy? I was actually going to pick one of these up next week but at full price..</div></div>

Go Here Click add to cart, type in Hide500 in coupon code, check out, put in CC info and viola SWFA SS 5-20x50mm for $1000

I completely missed that about the SWFA being a FFP scope. That would really increase the price to upgrade to a NF. I am liking all the things I am reading about the SWFA, but I want to here more about the 5-20x50 specifically. All the reviews I have seen are about the 10x and the 3-9x. Are there any threads that you guys can point me to that specifically deal with the 5-20x50? Thanks.

Check out Jon A. review. Goatphius posted link above.
I will get my order in on Friday. Thanks to Jon A for the review & all his Knowledge. Thanks To Frank & the Hide also!
I hope the 2nd shipment is timely.

Make sure you look through a FFP scope before you buy...I didn't think I would mind it but it turned out I couldn't use the scope for my intended purpose. I'm a SFP guy from now on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tkellogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Make sure you look through a FFP scope before you buy...I didn't think I would mind it but it turned out I couldn't use the scope for my intended purpose. I'm a SFP guy from now on. </div></div>

Could you elaborate a little bit more on this. What was the size of the FFP reticle that you used? What was your intended purpose and why did it not work for you?

I took the plunge with out ever having looked thru a FFP scope, but at a reticle thickness of .05 mil (0.18 inches @ 100) I cant see how that would ever be an issue... I guess I'll know soon enough.

It was a MP-8 IOR 2.5-10 I mainly wanted to use for varmint hunting but at close range where 2.5x was needed the center of the MP-8 was hard to see. Thickness wasn't a issue just size of the reticle. It might not be so bad a 5x but I know 2.5x is way to low for FFP. I also don't range with my reticle so FFP is not needed. If you get it and don't like it I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to get rid of and make your money back

Ok then I don't think it should be an issue for me. I will probably stay between the 10x and 20x range.
Thanks for clarifying that.

The thickness of the FFP reticles is the main reason that I have stayed away from them... until now!! The reticle in the SS 5-20 (at least from the pics and reviews) is outstanding!!

My second reason for going with the SS 5-20 is the HD glass. I am a previous Nightforce NXS owner, and while I absolutely loved the scope, I can't say the glass was super impressive. It was clear and looked good, but the sharpness of the image wasn't there for how much it cost.

I have owned many different versions of the SS line of scopes from SWFA, and they have done nothing but impress me... and continue to do so. I have a 16XSS right now, and I love the thing. It is far better than the original 10X that I had many many years ago. It is a super solid piece of gear.

So with that, and all the experience that I have had with SWFA products and customer service over the years... there was no second guessing about the 5-20. As soon as the $500 coupon was activated, I was online ordering. Now I am just painfully waiting the arrival.

I honestly do not think you have a thing to worry about should you decide to purchase the 5-20. And like what was said above, you should be able to unload it without any troubles should you decide you don't like it, or it doesn't fit your tasks.

Mine however, will be going NOWHERE expect where my rifle goes!!

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bassfishindoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Are there any threads that you guys can point me to that specifically deal with the 5-20x50? Thanks. </div></div>

A SnipersHide search.

A OpticsTalk seach.

Point and click.
smirk.gif

Has there been an ETA put out for the second shipment of the SWFA scopes for the group buy?

^^ Not that anyone knows about. Chris or Brady will chime in when time comes, I'm sure of it.

Aron-

Hey thanks for all of the replies. After looking at a bunch of reveiws I have decided to go with the SWFA scope with the group deal. I will probably place my order tomorrow as I don't think they will make 10,000 likes and I don't want to miss out. This glass will top my Remington 700 308. My next investment will be an AICS as the Remmy is still in it's cheap factory plastic stock. Hopefully with this combo I will be able to venture to the 1000 yard line. Thanks for all the help!

The OP asked a valid question in a very polite way. I am currently using a Nightforce 5.5 x 22 NPR1 and it is a great scope and built like a tank. BUT I too am waiting to hear that this new SS scope is built "as well" but without the zerostop.
The funny thing is, that for all of the reviews I have read, they say it is a "good" scope for the money, I have to assume that they are talking about the $1,000 price tag. If that is so, then I have to report that the Bushnell Tactical is a great scope for the money.
Now, I didn't chime in just to raise my post count, I am really thinking of getting 2 of the Super Snipers and selling my Nightforce, that way when I pick up a second rifle I will have matching scopes, and yes I have had FFP scopes and I do like them. The decision day is almost here, so I am waiting to hear those magic words.
SScott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The funny thing is, that for all of the reviews I have read, they say it is a "good" scope for the money, I have to assume that they are talking about the $1,000 price tag. </div></div>
Actually my review was long before we had any clue what the price would be. I felt then and still feel now that this scope would be a "good" scope for $2000. For $1000 it's "so-insanely-good-only-an-idiot-would-spend-money-on-anything-else--good." In my opinion anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon A</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The funny thing is, that for all of the reviews I have read, they say it is a "good" scope for the money, I have to assume that they are talking about the $1,000 price tag. </div></div>
Actually my review was long before we had any clue what the price would be. I felt then and still feel now that this scope would be a "good" scope for $2000. For $1000 it's "so-insanely-good-only-an-idiot-would-spend-money-on-anything-else--good." In my opinion anyway.</div></div>

Absolutely, the "good for the money" is based on the retail price not the "special".

I consider NF to be the dollar for dollar best scope on the market, but the SWFA SS-HD in 5-20X takes it for a FFP. It's that good...

You get more choices with NF, it satisfies a lot of different people and requirements, definitely bulletproof, but for a Mil / Mil FFP scopes in 5-20X the SWFA SSHD has the best bang for the buck top billing, at $1500. This scope easily could have sold for $2k and still would have been worth it.

I am trying to get a 5-22 Nightforce to borrow for a head to head comparison. I'm not quite willing to buy one just for the test, but you never know I just might.

The FFP is the big difference of course. I'm not a huge fan of the NF 3-15 F1 because of the thin reticle at low power. The SS reticle is just right imho.

These threads make me wanna sell my hdmr and get this one instead...

I like my hdmr though. I just wonder if it's worth the swap. (I actually do like the h58 as well. I'm talking about from a glass quality view)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These threads make me wanna sell my hdmr and get this one instead...

I like my hdmr thug. I just wonder if it's worth the swap.</div></div> I keep wondering if I should go ahead and drop the money for a second one while the deal is still going....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am trying to get a 5-22 Nightforce to borrow for a head to head comparison. I'm not quite willing to buy one just for the test, but you never know I just might.

The FFP is the big difference of course. I'm not a huge fan of the NF 3-15 F1 because of the thin reticle at low power. The SS reticle is just right imho. </div></div>
PM inbound, I will send you my Nightforce if you want to use it as a comparison, we are close enough, you would have it before the end of the week.
Thanks SScott

With my hard earned money I would lean toward the scope with the best reputation and has been tested by thousands of hunters, target shooters, law enforcement, and military.

Between the 2 choices that would be the Nightforce.

Fact: Nightforce is proven good stuff
Fact: Nightforce will always be around
Fact: Frank knows his stuff
Fact: Frank gives it his mark of approval
Fact: The SSHD deal ($500 off) will only be around once
Fact: The SSHD is more than $1000 less (with the deal) than the comperable Nightforce F1
Fact: SSHD is 20x and F1 is ony 15x (if that matters)
Fact: If you don't like your SSHD, someone will be in line to buy it and you probably won't lose a dime.

So the real decision as others have said.. is do you want FFP or SFP?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon A</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> For $1000 it's "so-insanely-good-only-an-idiot-would-spend-money-on-anything-else--good." In my opinion anyway. </div></div>

I love that quote!! No gray area left around that one... LOL!!

DK

This thread and forum is great! I have dropped the hammer and purchased the SS today. Now it is time to wait. I will be able to afford NF, USO and whatever else I want in the future once I graduate from medical school (unless the government destroys the health care system before I get there), but for now it's hard to pass up the "For $1000 it's "so-insanely-good-only-an-idiot-would-spend-money-on-anything-else--good." scope. Thanks for all the advice!

Smart man... grad school did somethin for ya!! Congrats!!

DK

I have a Nightforce coming to me, should arrive Wednesday sometime, I will be trying to do a decent and accurate review of the two side by side but I'm not promising anything until mid next week since I am getting ready for the Oregon Sniper Challenge this weekend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bassfishindoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread and forum is great! I have dropped the hammer and purchased the SS today. Now it is time to wait. I will be able to afford NF, USO and whatever else I want in the future once I graduate from medical school (unless the government destroys the health care system before I get there), but for now it's hard to pass up the "For $1000 it's "so-insanely-good-only-an-idiot-would-spend-money-on-anything-else--good." scope. Thanks for all the advice! </div></div>

I just finished my second year, and all this studying for the "Step 1" makes me want to buy everything!!! I ordered 1 a couple weeks ago to go on my 10 FCP HS Precision, I'm gonna go get an M&P9 today (My GF hates shooting my 1911) and buying a stripped lower too. I think I have an addiction...
eek.gif

Buying so many guns would be harder to do if the G.I. Bill wasn't paying for my tuition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .257</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With my hard earned money I would lean toward the scope with the best reputation and has been tested by thousands of hunters, target shooters, law enforcement, and military.

Between the 2 choices that would be the Nightforce.

</div></div>

Actually we fit that criteria as well.
Wink.gif

Are you hinting that the SS5-20x50HD is built in the same factory that builds the Japanese version of Nightforce?

Good luck on the exam bassfishindoc, mine is on the 18th and range on the 19th.

Any update on the comparison yet? I am also anxious to find out if this thing is worth $1k.