• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SWFA SS Rings on FNAR too low?

Nailz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2009
Maple Valley, WA
So I bought the SWFA Super Sniper 3-9x42 package a while back to mount on my Remington 700 and it has worked perfectly.

I have switched the package over to my FNAR, and with the SS Rings that came with it (I believe low rings were the default setup?) the scope eyepiece doesn't even have room for a credit card to slip underneath between the rail.

My question is, will this cause the scope to knock against the rail when firing and should I raise things up a bit with some medium height rings (or higher?)? I would like the move the scope a little more rearward on the rail as well and at the moment it doesn't appear there would be enough room to do so.

Hoping to hear what other folks have done with their setups.

Thanks as always for the help.

Re: SWFA SS Rings on FNAR too low?

Nailz-you may want to look at some of the AR quick release ring setups that come as one piece units rings and QR levers. Several are made that have either a 1 or 2 inch reward setback. They are made specifically to move back the optic when in cases like yours mechanically you don't have room to do so otherwise. Check out Midway or Brownells....you can tell them the size of your objective and they will hook you up with the right height you need. SWFA may have similar setups in stock also.

P.S.-I found a new R5 in an OD green AICS with mags....everything worked out well......saved me some $$

Derek

Imo, if you can get a good sight picture, at all magnification levels, call it good!

Ok, thanks Derek, I will check that out.... glad to hear you found something!

Billy, I would agree for the most part, I am just worried about having the scope too close to the rail, I want to make sure I don't clang the scope, I hear that can happen if you're too close, just admittedly not sure what "too close" is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ARMS makes QD rings that work, however for an AR the USO Posa-Slide and Lock MkII is the dookie </div></div>

Would this work? I called Larue earlier and they told me that their LT-104 mount would not also work on the FNAR due to how the rails are different between the two.

I didn't really understand what the guy meant, but he basically told me I needed 2 different mounts.

Looks like <span style="font-weight: bold">you just need to measure how high of rings you need </span>(like any other rifle/application). See the sticky's about the topic and have at it.

FNAR is NOT an AR15/10 and does not work with the same type mounts. If you want QD try Warne or Leupy QD's of a med-high maybe.

Here's a pic I stole from the 'net:

rifle1.jpg

Thanks sobr, I believe I know what height rings I need, probably looking at medium or high, I'm trying to wrap my head around why an AR-15 mount wouldn't also work on my FNAR? Both my AR-15 and my FNAR have the same picatinny rail, so why wouldn't the mount work correctly on both rifles?

Is it just coming down to a ring height thing or am I missing something else?

Thanks