• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Switch barrel build options?

Willie Miller V

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2013
I'm wanting to build a switch barrel rifle in a short action. So far I have decided to use a Bighorn TL3 action for this particular build. Mainly because I want a standard and a magnum bolt face and with this action I won't need two separate bolts. A new bolt head friend Bighorn is about $100 where a second bolt for a Stiller Tac 30 is $400 plus. The first caliber is a 6.5 Creedmoor and the magnum is either a 7mm wsm or some variant. I want to keep the weight down as much as possible so 22" is the length of the 6.5 barrel. I don't think I'm going to use a Proof Research barrel because of the cost, I can get a Krieger or Brux and have it fluted and the muzzle threaded. I will be using a suppressor full time. Right now I have a Crux Ark 30 7.5" can and should be getting the stamp for SAS Arbiter MX any day. The SAS can is 9" and both are under 16 ounces. As far as the barrels are concerned, I can pretty much get 2 for the price of 1 Proof Research. As far as barrel contours go, I don't want to go much larger than a Remington Sendero. Can anyone recommend a certain barrel and contour that would be ideal as far as accuracy and barrel life is concerned? Am I going in the right direction with this action as far as a switch barrel build?