• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Switch Barrel Gun

Megalodong

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2022
Denver
someone tell me how stupid of an idea this is…

Need/want a new .30 cal hunting gun. Probably in 300 PRC. Also want to get into the large calibers and try out some ELR. I’ve shot a good bit or PRS and NRLH.

Was going to get an ARC CDG for my hunting action. If I wanted to just test ELR out was planning to get a Lapua bolt head and a +30” barrel in 33XC.

I love my short action switchlug WTO caprock. It's super cool to be able to change out barrels on the field with such a small amount of tools. However it's extremely rare for me to need to be able to do this. I don't regret my decision, because it was my first custom build and it's been great. But a TL3 will do 90% of what I need a "switch barrel" build to do, the only thing you need is a barrel vise that'll fit on your vehicle's tow hitch and you'll be just fine.

However for your question, I'd probably go with a dedicated action for the Lapua bolt face. There seems to be a near consensus that you want that extra material for those sizes calibers.

I f you are going with a 33xc you really want the weight. You will shooting a 300gr I have an AXMC which makes it great for ELR but to heavy to hunt. You can find some good deals hear on the hide .338 bolt face guns.

Don’t be afraid to get something like a Tikka or what not in a hunting platform and a heavy setup for ELR.

Depending how you hunt they may require completely different setups

Appreciate all the input. Probably could've/should've been more clear in the OP.

95% sure I'm going to be getting a CDG and putting it in a KRG Bravo and chambered in 300 PRC for a 12-14ish lb finished gun when the hunt doesn't call for an ultra light weight pack rifle.

With the goal of shooting some light class ELR, most likely at Spear Point, just to try it out would I be better off getting the Lapua bolt face, a 33XC barrel and weighting the KRG up or looking for a Savage 112 or similar and spinning the 33xc barrel on that.

Either way I expect this option to only last one season and/or one barrel. If I'm enjoying it, will be getting a dedicated set up that is better suited to the large cartridges and ELR comp, but want to do this as cheap as possible starting out. Knowing that's probably not the best idea.

I shoot a Tikka in a KRG Whiskey 3 right now that weighs 22ish lbs with a 26" MTU barrel, so I'm confident I could get the weight there. But have read some about chassis flex with the long heavy barrels, then of course the CDG handling that large of a cartridge without pressuring out too soon.

Firearm Lego’s are never a stupid idea. Get busy buying your parts and go ham

Just convince your self you need 2 builds one for hunting and one for elr. Hunting rifle is no good for elr and a elr rifle is no good for hunting the only way it would work is to change barrel conture and caliber and stock/chassis your only saving the price of a action at that point. Great choice to keep the same bolt face is 338 edge as your elr build cause if you go with xc your also going to need another bolt unless your hunting cartridge is a 300 norma and by the way the norma is better then the 300 prc. For hunting

I’m biased a lot, but I love my Tubb adaptive target rifle. I don’t regret having the ability to run anything from 5.56 to 41xc in about 5min. It’s also nice just sending off a barrel extension instead of the action for a new barrel.