• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing switch barrel question recoil lug??

Re: switch barrel question recoil lug??

It makes life easier than setting up a tool to hold the lug in place when you switch barrels.
If a gunsmith headspaces both barrels properly and you have a means to confirm that headspace when you swap,like index marks, there is not need to pin the lug.

It doesn't "have" to be pinned, but as stated above, it sure makes things a heluva lot easier for you...

Pining the lug is all about repeatable lug position when changing barrels on a receiver that’s been bedded in a stock. Pining the lug holds it in the same position so it falls into the bedding the same each time. A good recoil lug alignment tool works as well.

if your going to make a switch barrel then have your lug pinned or get a recoil lug tool from brownells and a barrel vise and the appropriate action wrench to take um off and on... and please lube the threads !!!!!!

I have had great success with a kleindorst bolt alignment tool (machined out to fit my oversized lug), a surgeon action wrench, a 4 bolt barrel vise and a 150in/pound torque wrench. I use a 'small' ammount of locktite anti-seize on the threads, one tiny drop every few threads in a straight line.

i have a surgeon 6.5x47/ 6.5x284 switch barrel in AI chassis. no problems switching barrels, just torque to spec. No worries