• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Switch-barrel Sako TRG: What calibers interest you...?

Massoud

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2008
Boise area, Idaho
www.krg-ops.com
Hello gents, as some know, we've been working on a barrel kit for Sako TRG's. It is a barrel nut system that will take a Savage style wrench (flat bottom cuts in the nut). We'd like to hear what calibers you'd like to see apart from .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor, please include length. They will all be fast twist for the heavies/long. Contour is already set at a TRG contour. Let's hear it!
Thank you,
Justin

Id say 6creedmoore at 24 or 26" . I realize the x47 may interest this crowd more but the 6creed has factory offerings and would open up your customer base to those who don't reload.

I was looking at turning one of mine into a 243 for hunting.. was looking at doing a proof carbon barrel at 24 inch in 243.. may look into this option in the future!

There seemed to be a fair bit of interest in .223 for DTA's and AI's (multi-cals), so perhaps a .223 'trainer' type option.

260 Rem 26-28", 308 Win 30", 6.5x47 26-28", 6 creedmor 26"

Is the appropriate bolt face even available?

Well the question was what other calibers people would like to see, and the DTA rifles had a .223 aftermarket setup developed for them, and a few AI owners have mentioned .223 also - its cheap and good for training/inexpensive fun. I understand its a different bolt head, but its just an educated suggestion.

Aside from the obvious 6mm, 6.5mm Creedmoor, and .260 Rem, I'd love to see a 6.5 Addiction barrel. I think the TRG magazine would work well for that cartridge.

Also, do yall have a lead on a spare TRG forend? I was going to try and modify my TRG forend to accept the newer "CTR" mags but didn't want to do anything that couldn't be replaced.

Reactions: rymart
Thanks for the input guys, I'm surprised to see the number of .260 requests.

I'm a big fan of .243 myself but I don't have time to load anymore.

Aside from the obvious 6mm, 6.5mm Creedmoor, and .260 Rem, I'd love to see a 6.5 Addiction barrel. I think the TRG magazine would work well for that cartridge.

Also, do yall have a lead on a spare TRG forend? I was going to try and modify my TRG forend to accept the newer "CTR" mags but didn't want to do anything that couldn't be replaced.

Sorry Wareagle but we don't have any leads on forends. We do have a full TRG chassis that takes Sako mags that might work though.
Justin

Well the question was what other calibers people would like to see, and the DTA rifles had a .223 aftermarket setup developed for them, and a few AI owners have mentioned .223 also - its cheap and good for training/inexpensive fun. I understand its a different bolt head, but its just an educated suggestion.

We're planning on releasing a .223 bolt for the TRG as there's parts commonality with our new SOTIC rifle but that is a ways off yet. We have to figure out if any .223 mags will work. That seems to be the problem will all the .223 stuff and the TRG action is not quite open enough for AICS mags which doesn't help.

Justin

Sorry for derailing the thread, but what happened to the Win 70/FN SPR Whiskey 3?

We're planning on releasing a .223 bolt for the TRG as there's parts commonality with our new SOTIC rifle but that is a ways off yet. We have to figure out if any .223 mags will work. That seems to be the problem will all the .223 stuff and the TRG action is not quite open enough for AICS mags which doesn't help.

Justin

Any way to buy just the friend of your chassis? I've already got the KRG stock.

.243 and .260. 24-26" like many have mentioned above

Last edited:
Another derail here, but I'd love a KRG thread stickied here like Scout had. Maybe i missed it.. These things rock!

Are you looking for the whole front half (backbone and forend) or just the forend part?

Thanks again for the input on calibers guys!
Justin

If the forend will work with the factory backbone that would be great. If not, I guess I would need to KRG backbone as well.

When it comes to the receivers on the TRG, is there any sort of difference between the 22 and 42 between pressure ratings or bolt commonality when going to the magnum rounds in the 42? I assume they are the same...?

I currently have a 22 in .308 and absolutely love it - would instantly choose it over any of my other firearms if I could only keep one.

That being said, I would love to have a 300WM or 338LM TRG set up as well. But with the cost of a 42 being what it is, and the M10 offering all those options (albeit at a ridiculous price), I would be absolutely tickled to have a switch barrel / caliber system for my 22.

If it became an option, I would definitely snag a 27" 300 Win Mag barrel and then the same for Lapua Mag and that could even be a 30" too.

Is there any sort of time frame for when this kit would hit the market? I assume existing receivers would need to be sent in to KRG for the modification? Could the factory Sako barrels be adapted at all?

Very curious to see where this thread leads; I am getting my check book ready.

Last edited:
Apologies for the 1,000,000,000 questions here...

But side tangent, I know I've seen the M10 fitted to shoot 375 CheyTec, would a TRG be able to handle that as well?

Thanks!

I've got to put another +1 for the .260.
the commonality with the .308W boltface and very respectable barrel life and fantastic accuracy potential its a hard calibre to go past.

When it comes to the receivers on the TRG, is there any sort of difference between the 22 and 42 between pressure ratings or bolt commonality when going to the magnum rounds in the 42? I assume they are the same...?

I currently have a 22 in .308 and absolutely love it - would instantly choose it over any of my other firearms if I could only keep one.

That being said, I would love to have a 300WM or 338LM TRG set up as well. But with the cost of a 42 being what it is, and the M10 offering all those options (albeit at a ridiculous price), I would be absolutely tickled to have a switch barrel / caliber system for my 22.

If it became an option, I would definitely snag a 27" 300 Win Mag barrel and then the same for Lapua Mag and that could even be a 30" too.

Is there any sort of time frame for when this kit would hit the market? I assume existing receivers would need to be sent in to KRG for the modification? Could the factory Sako barrels be adapted at all?

Very curious to see where this thread leads; I am getting my check book ready.

The action differences between the TRG-22 and 42 are mainly length although the new 42 has dual ejectors in the bolt. So if you had a TRG-42 you could do 300WM or 338 but neither of those would fit on a TRG-22.

This should be out in the fall sometime, some calibers are nearly ready but there's misc stuff to get done.

No need to send in actions to us, however a gunsmith will need to pull the existing TRG barrel, those things are on super tight. Of course we recommend that you have a gunsmith install any barrel, and by all means checking headspace is a must when switching barrels.

The factory TRG barrel that came on the rifle could still be used on the rifle, but not with our barrel nut set up.
Thank you,
Justin

Apologies for the 1,000,000,000 questions here...

But side tangent, I know I've seen the M10 fitted to shoot 375 CheyTec, would a TRG be able to handle that as well?

Thanks!

I can't say 100% but I'm pretty sure that a TRG-42 could not be made to take .375 Cheytac, that's a pretty big round. It generally requires a dedicated action. Thank you.

If you can make the 223 thing happen then Ill be buying another TRG for sure! In addition to the already mentioned calibers (260 is always my go to) I would love a TRG22 in 6mmBR (if it would feed and eject properly and not pierce primers)!!

I have just recently purchased a TRG chambered in 6.5 creed and absolutely love it. The only problem I have had is trying to buy a 223 trainer that would closely resemble the ergonomics and feel of my TRG. That being said, I would buy a 223 kit immediately if it were available.

Ya, it does look similar. But I know the trigger is different and I would save a ton of money if I could just do a quick barrel swap and re-zero.

I'm in or a .260 rem. This is phenomenal as I just purchased a trg22. When is the expected availability?

Ryan

Can't believe I missed this thread!

My votes are for 6.5x47 and 6mm Dasher if possible. I've been wanting to rebarrel my -22 to 6 Dasher for a while.

And I would also be very interested in a 223 setup if it is possible!

Man, no love for the 42 here. I would like to see a few offerings for this. Maybe something like .264 Win Mag, 7mm Rem Mag, 28 Nosler, 300WM, And possibly a 300 Norma for the bigger bolt faced riles. I just had a 7mm Rem Mag barrel spun up, and would like to get a .264 Win Mag done soon as well.

We are looking at .300WM for the -42 and possibly .300 Norma. For the more obscure calibers, guys will just have to have a gunsmith cut a barrel to our print and get a barrel nut from us and be good to go. Thanks guys,
Justin

We are looking at .300WM for the -42 and possibly .300 Norma. For the more obscure calibers, guys will just have to have a gunsmith cut a barrel to our print and get a barrel nut from us and be good to go. Thanks guys,
Justin

My vote would be for 7mm Rem. I've heard rumours people have utilised an older generation Sako bolt with a .473 head in the TRG 42's to create a switch barrel utilising 30-06 based cases and Belted mag/Lap Mags. That would be cool.

My vote would be for 7mm Rem. I've heard rumours people have utilised an older generation Sako bolt with a .473 head in the TRG 42's to create a switch barrel utilising 30-06 based cases and Belted mag/Lap Mags. That would be cool.

My switch barrel was 338, 7mag, and .284 with a bolt purchased from brown ells for the m995. 300WM mags worked, but only because the cases were slightly larger with the rebated design. Not sure the 30-06 would work, but you could always find a loaded round at a friends house and see if the magazine will hold the case. Other wise you will have to adjust the mags to hold the cases, and those mags are pretty stiff.

It's still in the works, we haven't forgotten about it. We've just been buried. We don't have the .243 barrels yet but we do have some of the other calibers I mentioned, even have some 8 twist .308 in 16.5" if you want to do a subsonic build. We'll be getting them up on the website hopefully in April.

Thank you,
Justin