• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Switch Barrels spare barrel storage

DIBBS

Old Mountain Man-Tired occasionally Grumpy SOB
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 21, 2008
    WARSHington State
    I am in the process (once I heal from shoulder surgery-so likely mid Spring 2022 ), of shooting a LA (bighorn) and SA (Impact) actioned rifles. I have a 7mm RM and 300 WM barrel for the Bighorn, and plan to have a couple calibers for each. Impact is currently a 6.5 Creedmoor, will add a 22 CF, and I may even add a .223 bolt to the Impact as I working to downsize and consolidate.

I see that TAB gear makes barrel bags, with or without a bolt holder.
    https://www.milehighshooting.com/tab-gear-bs-barrel-sleeve/

What are you using for spare barrel storage? Something commercial or an innovative home solution.

On a side note, this metal table weighs about 30 lbs. Would it likely be sturdy enough to mount the barrel vise for swaps, or would you recommend something else-beefing this up? I don't plan on removing any Remington Factory barrels as I understand that can be a bitch.

I did see that @Sheldon N had a receiver mount for swaps at the range or in the field / or at a shoot. I'll do it in the basement until I get a little more comfortable/experienced with the swapping process- although it looks pretty straightforward.

Thanks.
    20211118_183001.jpg

Last edited:

• Love
    Reactions: DIBBS
    I buy a bunch of those silicone gun socks for shotguns. Then put them back in the boxes or tubes they came in.

Doing less range swaps these days, just build whatever I want then shoot it for a while.

Barrel storage is pretty mundane. I keep the plastic netting that they come with from the gunsmith, then stack them up in the corner of the gunsafe. :)

Reactions: DIBBS
    I have four barrels for my Barrett MRAD, and use their bag system, comprised of an inner sealed anti-corrosion bag, and a canvas outer bag. It's a solid solution. The bags come with any barrel conversion kit, or you can buy them separately by calling Barrett ... I got a spare and I think it was $30-ish (but can't remember the exact price).

1637330808543.png

Reactions: deersniper
    In the tubes the blanks came in. Nothing fancy.