• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Switch my 6.5 Creedmoor for 6mm ARC on Florida Hogs

Which route would you go for your hog gun

• Keep your AR10 and maybe try to lighten it up more

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • Set up a 6mm Arc

Votes: 19 59.4%

• Total voters

cgbills

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2013
Florida
Ok so I have 6.5 Creedmoor built on Aero M5 receiver set. It has a Faxon 18in Big Gunner barrel, Aero Atlas 15in rail, and MBA-1 stock. It comes in at 14lbs with Specwar 7.62 and Hogster, 12lbs with thermal but w/o can. The lighter profile barrel saves quite a bit of weight, but I had to add tungsten weights into the buffer to tame the 6.5 Creedmoor suppressed. 140 Honday ELDs come out of the 18in barrel at 2580fps without the can.

When I started looking at the 6mm ARC and plugging some numbers, it looks like out to about 500 I could get a similar trajectory and wind deflection to my 18in 6.5CM shooting 140 ELDs with a 20/18 in 6mm ARC shooting 108 ELDs . The only difference is my 6.5 CM would hit with around 300ft/lbs more energy than the 6mm ARC. Also the 6mm ARC would weigh a fair amount less than the AR10. From my estimates and depending on components, I would be looking at saving 1.5-2 lbs on the rifle. This would likely be more since I would not need the heavier tungsten weights. With the ARC too I could use a different can I have that comes in about a pound under my Specwar. All in all building a 6mm ARC would save me around 3 pounds (1 pound being on the very front end).

My first concern about possibly switching is the 300ft/lbs lower energy of the 6mm ARC. Second, I am fully set up with all components to shoot the 6.5 CM. I would have to get dies, brass, and bullets to reload for the 6mm ARC. Lastly, I am concerned the 6mm ARC won't put down hogs with the same authority as my 6.5CM. However, I have not seen a whole lot of massive hogs around here....

Reactions: smtitmelevi
No “go to the gym” vote option…and no emojis on mobile?

I hunt with a 308/10 16” heavy profile and SF can or with a 12” 556 and can. Can is kind of mandatory if your gonna be blasting away just trying to eradicate. I’ve seen pigs at 500 yards but I’ve never tried shooting on at that distance, I always do my best to get just about in the middle of them.

Have fun, don’t over think it. The “armor” myth is just that, they are tough but not bullet proof, just put the round where it needs to go with ~600+ ft/lbs of energy and they go down.

Reactions: Trochlea
Ok so I have 6.5 Creedmoor built on Aero M5 receiver set. It has a Faxon 18in Big Gunner barrel, Aero Atlas 15in rail, and MBA-1 stock. It comes in at 14lbs with Specwar 7.62 and Hogster, 12lbs with thermal but w/o can. The lighter profile barrel saves quite a bit of weight, but I had to add tungsten weights into the buffer to tame the 6.5 Creedmoor suppressed. 140 Honday ELDs come out of the 18in barrel at 2580fps without the can.

When I started looking at the 6mm ARC and plugging some numbers, it looks like out to about 500 I could get a similar trajectory and wind deflection to my 18in 6.5CM shooting 140 ELDs with a 20/18 in 6mm ARC shooting 108 ELDs . The only difference is my 6.5 CM would hit with around 300ft/lbs more energy than the 6mm ARC. Also the 6mm ARC would weigh a fair amount less than the AR10. From my estimates and depending on components, I would be looking at saving 1.5-2 lbs on the rifle. This would likely be more since I would not need the heavier tungsten weights. With the ARC too I could use a different can I have that comes in about a pound under my Specwar. All in all building a 6mm ARC would save me around 3 pounds (1 pound being on the very front end).

My first concern about possibly switching is the 300ft/lbs lower energy of the 6mm ARC. Second, I am fully set up with all components to shoot the 6.5 CM. I would have to get dies, brass, and bullets to reload for the 6mm ARC. Lastly, I am concerned the 6mm ARC won't put down hogs with the same authority as my 6.5CM. However, I have not seen a whole lot of massive hogs around here....
You’re concerned about the weight???

You shooting off hand???

You’re concerned about the weight???

You shooting off hand???
No I have a tripod. However, moving through some of the thick Florida veg and wetter/swampier arears is easier with a lighter rifle. Its not a huge deal, but if I could shed a few pounds and not loose a ton of performance it maybe worth it.

Reactions: Baron23
If you are just wanting to go with something smaller and lighter than it will be great. I rarely shoot my 6.5CM now that I have a 6ARC. But I’d understand the hesitation if you already have all the reloading and accessories set up for 6.5.

You sound like others and myself, trying to justify a new rifle/cartridge. Haha

I would add up the absolute total money involved for it the switch.
- What you could realistically get for your 6.5 rifle (if you planed on selling it)
- complete build list/price for a 6 ARC rifle
- reloading components (including bullets/cases, etc..)

Getting a realistic money figure in mind might help you too.

I don't think the energy difference would matter too much if shot placement is good.

You sound like others and myself, trying to justify a new rifle/cartridge. Haha

I would add up the absolute total money involved for it the switch.
- What you could realistically get for your 6.5 rifle (if you planed on selling it)
- complete build list/price for a 6 ARC rifle
- reloading components (including bullets/cases, etc..)

Getting a realistic money figure in mind might help you too.

I don't think the energy difference would matter too much if shot placement is good.
Yeah. This is exactly the king of excuse I come up with when I want to build a new gun. I don't usually list out the total cost though, just generally tell myself " it won't be all that much" ......

I mean…dudes drop hogs in texas from helicopters with 223, so not sure what the big deal is losing 300ftlbs of energy when you’re dropping a few pounds in rifle weight.
Yeah I don't see an issue dropping a hog with a 6mm at all. Out to 600 should be gtg.

Realistically, how often does one shoot hogs at 500yd in Florida? Once that first shot hits & they start hauling ass the follow ups will be tough. To maximize eradication efforts we try to get close as possible, hopefully within 100 yds. I don’t own an ARC (yet) but I’m sure it’s up to the task inside 250 yds. And since your shooting suppressed (fist bump) have you considered an SBR? Not sure how the ARC performs in shorter barrels but a 12.5” 6.8 with 120SST’s has worked well for me out to 250. I hear a (gasp) Grendel sbr’s nicely so thinking an ARC might as well.

Whatever you decide, hold on to the CM - expand that quiver!

Realistically, how often does one shoot hogs at 500yd in Florida? Once that first shot hits & they start hauling ass the follow ups will be tough. To maximize eradication efforts we try to get close as possible, hopefully within 100 yds. I don’t own an ARC (yet) but I’m sure it’s up to the task inside 250 yds. And since your shooting suppressed (fist bump) have you considered an SBR? Not sure how the ARC performs in shorter barrels but a 12.5” 6.8 with 120SST’s has worked well for me out to 250. I hear a (gasp) Grendel sbr’s nicely so thinking an ARC might as well.

Whatever you decide, hold on to the CM - expand that quiver!

“Not sure how the ARC performs in shorter barrels…”

Here’s what I chrono’d out of my 12” ARC
Black. 2395
ELD-M. 2396
ELD-X. 2344
TAP. 2340

This was from a 12” barrel from the group buy at the Grendel forum with a SiCo Omega on the end of it. I’m still working on groups ‘cuz the Omega was rubbing on the end of the hand guard. Even so, it was shooting, if I remember right, 5 shot groups of 1.5-2 inches at 100yds. Modifications are in the works!

Reactions: fanninland
About 2% of my shots at hogs are 200 yards or further with a thermal. Exactly 0% of my opening shots are at hogs 200 yards and further. At 300+ yards, the chances to mistake grazing deer for hogs in tall grass increases exponentially, even with a 640 unit.

Is dropping ~1.5 lbs worth justifying a new rifle to you?

If you want the ARC to have one, get it. I'm sure you'll have no problem killing hogs at reasonable distances with it. It certainly won't extend your killing range or increase lethality over what you have now, but it will be lighter and "new".

Ù
About 2% of my shots at hogs are 200 yards or further with a thermal. Exactly 0% of my opening shots are at hogs 200 yards and further. At 300+ yards, the chances to mistake grazing deer for hogs in tall grass increases exponentially, even with a 640 unit.

Is dropping ~1.5 lbs worth justifying a new rifle to you?

If you want the ARC to have one, get it. I'm sure you'll have no problem killing hogs at reasonable distances with it. It certainly won't extend your killing range or increase lethality over what you have now, but it will be lighter and "new".
Don't beat up on the man's contrived excuse to build a new gun, his wife can do that.... every time a new gun is built, a liberal gets their bell rung.... or a liberal goes to hell, or a liberal gets food poisened.... or something.... or maybe I'm mixing something up here..... but guns are good.

“Not sure how the ARC performs in shorter barrels…”

Here’s what I chrono’d out of my 12” ARC
Black. 2395
ELD-M. 2396
ELD-X. 2344
TAP. 2340

This was from a 12” barrel from the group buy at the Grendel forum with a SiCo Omega on the end of it. I’m still working on groups ‘cuz the Omega was rubbing on the end of the hand guard. Even so, it was shooting, if I remember right, 5 shot groups of 1.5-2 inches at 100yds. Modifications are in the works!
Identical to my experience. For blasting hogs I would build a 12.5" pistol or SBR. With the right can and optic combo you'll likely save 5+ lbs and the swing of the rifle will be so much easier. Your barrel/suppressor also won't be catching up nearly as much.

Then you can justify building another upper with an 18" barrel with a completely different set of parameters. :)

I own and reload for both Creedmoor and 6 ARC and feel they are the ideal balance for large and small frame cartridges.

Can you find 6 ARC ammunition in your area? There is none here, and I've been looking. What about brass? I didn't see any brass available in my cursory internet search. If you are set up with brass and/or ammunition, dies are a one-time investment, and can be had for pretty cheap. Buying 6 mm bullets vs 6.5 bullets isn't really a big hassle. But, sourcing primers still is. I really like he idea of a short rifle with a suppressor for your use case, and a 18" 6.5 CM weighing in at 14 lbs is not it. A 223 will put them down and ammunition is available. That's where my money would go.

Reactions: SMTGWKD
Can you find 6 ARC ammunition in your area? There is none here, and I've been looking. What about brass? I didn't see any brass available in my cursory internet search. If you are set up with brass and/or ammunition, dies are a one-time investment, and can be had for pretty cheap. Buying 6 mm bullets vs 6.5 bullets isn't really a big hassle. But, sourcing primers still is. I really like he idea of a short rifle with a suppressor for your use case, and a 18" 6.5 CM weighing in at 14 lbs is not it. A 223 will put them down and ammunition is available. That's where my money would go.
Funny enough - my last trip to TX the ranch insisted that anything "less" than a 308 was insufficient and folks with "them creedmowers lose too many pigs." I brought my 20" Proof/Xanthos/JP and laid them over every...single...time. haven't used less than a Grendel but can't imagine it wouldn't work well.

Sounds like 5.56 may be a great solution.

Last edited:
Funny enough - my last trip to TX the ranch insisted that anything "less" than a 308 was insufficient and folks with "them creedmowers lose too many pigs." I brought my 20" Proof/Xanthos/JP and laid them over every...single...time. haven't used less than a Grendel but can't imagine it would work well.

Sounds like 5.56 may be a great solution.
Yeah, if you are hunting a ranch, they are getting paid to retrieve your game. They want to "anchor" them, and they are working with the lowest common denominator when it comes to hunters and marksmanship proficiency. A hunter that loses an animal isn't going to be too happy if they are paying for the hunt, where "any blood is a kill," and are paying for game they aren't taking home.

While I don't exactly subscribe to it, the mantra around where I hunt is "shoot them in the guts and let them die on someone else's property." I'll make the effort to retrieve any pig I shoot, but don't get broken up if they cross the fence...

Don't, even, get, me, started on ranches that want hunters to "help them with their pig problem. Just $250 per day, 3 day minimum Unlimited pigs, $500 each up to 150 lbs. $5 per lb over 150."

T
Yeah, if you are hunting a ranch, they are getting paid to retrieve your game. They want to "anchor" them, and they are working with the lowest common denominator when it comes to hunters and marksmanship proficiency. A hunter that loses an animal isn't going to be too happy if they are paying for the hunt, where "any blood is a kill," and are paying for game they aren't taking home.

While I don't exactly subscribe to it, the mantra around where I hunt is "shoot them in the guts and let them die on someone else's property." I'll make the effort to retrieve any pig I shoot, but don't get broken up if they cross the fence...

Don't, even, get, me, started on ranches that want hunters to "help them with their pig problem. Just $250 per day, 3 day minimum Unlimited pigs, $500 each up to 150 lbs. $5 per lb over 150."
This is true. I've killed plenty of hogs with 5.56, but a traditional broadside vitals shot isn't going to lay them over like 308 or 6.5cr. I've never had a hog run after a well placed 6.5cr, but they'll run off a couple 5.56s. They're dead out there, you just won't be able to retrieve them because they're in a thorn bush half a mile away or something.

And yes, the Texas pig hunting industry is quite a gem...

Reactions: smtitmelevi

Sounds familiar. Lol. PM me a different alternative and we'll be back down for more fun.

We started doing a countdown and both shooting to maximize our shooting per dollar.

Back on topic, I've found 6mm projectiles FAR more readily available than 6.5mm. I've also had good results with every bullet I've loaded so far (58 gr VMax, 105 bthp, 108 Eldm).

Factory ammunition is available online for halfway decent prices if you look a bit.

Identical to my experience. For blasting hogs I would build a 12.5" pistol or SBR. With the right can and optic combo you'll likely save 5+ lbs and the swing of the rifle will be so much easier. Your barrel/suppressor also won't be catching up nearly as much.

Then you can justify building another upper with an 18" barrel with a completely different set of parameters. :)
That’s exactly what I have; an 18” Odin barreled tack driver with an Omega on the end, and the 12” Omega’d SBR. Now, I just need to go somewhere with hogs and lay into them!

That’s exactly what I have; an 18” Odin barreled tack driver with an Omega on the end, and the 12” Omega’d SBR. Now, I just need to go somewhere with hogs and lay into them!
Which barrel did you use for the 12"?

I have the Monster group buy barrel from the guy who runs the ARC and Grendel forums. I wasn’t getting sub moa but then found my suppressor that was inset into the hand guard was rubbing. I changed the hand guard and added a bipod, now if it ever gets warm here I’ll go and have at it again.

If Odin offers a 10-12 inch pipe I might give it a try, but so far they haven’t.

Not to throw another option into the mix but have you considered building a 458 socom? I hunt Florida swamps for hog as well and mostly on public lands. I am currently building a 458 socom pistol. Very easy to navigate the scrub and wetland area's and an added perk is I can use it during small game season(allowed to hunt hog but with only pistol/rimfire/shotgun) as pistol is allowed. Just a thought.

there are ways to get the 6.5 rig down on weight. and ways to tune the gas system so you dont need the tungsten.