• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Switch Rifle Custom Build

Guyotrd

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2013
After great input in this forum on an earlier post and and several weeks of research I am close to finalizing my custom build and would appreciate input on a few open items.

I originally wanted a one gun solution for long range ELK to 450 yds and long range target to 1000 yds. I was going to get a 7mm RM but decided it would be too much compromise on both uses and have settled on a switch build with 6.5 CM and 300 WSM which was my prior Elk round. This way I can afford one really nice scope and keep the same feel of the rifle for all activities

My decision was based on the following requirements:

Low Recoil for target shooting and ability for a clean kill at 450 yds on Elk with a margin of error for a rushed or less than perfect shot
Availability of low cost loaded ammo/wide bullet selection at Midway or Grafs when I am too lazy to reload (this ruled out a lot of really great calibers like 280 AI & 7SAUM) and is very important as I like to shoot a lot.

Here is what I am planning on:
KRG Bravo - low cost, accurate and great starter chassis - which I can upgrade when I know what I like .

Bighorn TL3 or SR3 - I liked the Mausingfield story and they have a way better website, but it was $425 more with a second bolt head. I am giving up the whole Mauser thing but am getting a floating bolt head - if that has any real value I cannot discern. It seems the SR3 might be better for me than the TL3 to load a single or un chamber faster when hunting, but I am not sure and would appreciate help here as well as the magazines - I like my Brownings best that have a hinged/detachable and do not like the model 70 top loader? The Sako is nice but I have dropped it in deep snow when my hands were freezing fiddling with the latch lock and got all my cartridges wet. The magpuls are nice on the POF but a bit bulky and won't work here.

Both barrels by Mark Chanlynn who is 10 miles away and has an outstanding reputation and works with my gunsmith - I was thinking a 5.5 contour, Sendero, L Palma or M Palma - I am really having trouble with this one as I am not experienced in this. The Palma seems appealing because I like the idea of a lot of mass around the throat for heat dissipation for practice. I need at least .75 in at the muzzle for the Thunderbeast - A major compromise is unavoidable here - the heavy weight will be great for practice, bench and long range target but punish me when I am on foot in the high country - (Perhaps when I am covering a lot of ground on foot I should just leave this rig home and take my 9.5 lb with scope sako 85 6.5-06, 143ELDX at 2806 fps)- I would appreciate some feedback on the barrel contour and twist - I am planning on 24" on both barrels and a 1:8 on the 6.5cm and a 1:10 on the 300 wsm - I will be shooting either a 200g eldx or a 180 Federal Trophy Bonded Tip on the 300wsm and 143 ELD X on the CM. If I have not used up all my budget I was considering fluting as well. I am targeting total weight between 12.5 and 13 lbs with scope, without can - which I will be pushing. I know this is heavy but I have been shooting my hunting contours at the range for years and they start opening up really fast after 5 - 10 shots with the Sako's which I guess are about a 3 or 4 sporter. It is a bit of a drive so I like to shoot for a bit once I am there - very relaxing.

Scope - either a Steiner 5x25x56txi or the new 4x28x56 approximately 33ozs for either plus a few for rings, buy once cry once - my other scopes are Bushnell 6500's and I have one Nightforce NXS which is very durable but the reality is that in the dark indoor range the lowly Bushnell's are clearer and easier to see the 100yd target with, I just cannot shoot at the Bushnells or use them for a hammer like the NXS. I am looking forward to FFP.

Trigger - Timney or Triggertech - I am not sure.

I very much appreciate all the time that knowledgeable an experienced folk give to beginners in this forum - On things I know well like motorcycles I try and return the generosity on those forums - Happy Holidays

Reactions: physguy88
The SR3 is very versatile in the situations you've listed out. Being cut with Remington style feed lips gives you the option to run both hinged floor plate or detachable box magazines. When it comes to hinged floor plate internals, realize they are typically stamped pieces and will require some TLC to get them running perfectly. As for magazines, we've seen them all work but some work better right away. Typically, Accurate Mag is the way to go. Availability and reliability, that wins in this market 99% of the time. As with anything, you may have some adjustment needed to feed lips for reliable feeding, I'm just passing on the feedback we get and the first hand experience we have.

If you want a trigger recommendation, look through the Bighorn TL3 Builds forum. You will see what people like the best with these actions.

If you have any questions regarding our products, please let us know and we'll help in any way we can.

Thanks - Ray

Reactions: physguy88
Jack of all master of none. Long range target shooting and lightweight elk gun are mutally exlusive. Want to save a whole bunch of money?

Buy a Tikka in 300wm (or Sako if u feeling fancy). Glass it.

Now build a dedicated long range target gun. Glass it.

Both will be better for their respective disciplines.

This new fad of trying to stuff 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag makes as much sense as skinny jeans.