• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Switch to 107 SMK?

FNG1001

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2022
USA
Anyone recently switch from Berger to Sierra's SMK and liked the results? Berger supply is rough these days and I'm looking to have something on the shelf that is reliably available (SMK's price is pretty good too, relative to many other match-quality bullets).
I'm mostly shooting 6 Dasher these days (maybe I'll try BR or BRA), and have become very happy with how consistent Berger bullets are and just how well they perform. Yes, I've used the search button to read other users' threads and reloading performance, but I wanted to ask the direct question.

I switched the other way around from SMK's to Bergers for my 5.56, thinking of doing the same in .30 cal. Bergers are harder to find and more expensive true but I have found their quality both higher and more consistent than the Sierra's and generally easier to find a great load for than the Sierra's.

Reactions: FNG1001
I would switch without any issues if I needed bullets. I have been thinking about buying a few thousand just because they are available. Once I run out of 108 eld’s, then 109 eld’s, then move to the 107 SMK.

Reactions: FNG1001
I made the switch in a 6mm cm and 243 W
In my rifles, the same load shot well and my trajectory remained very similar to 1k

I shoot 107s in my BRA with no issues. In my experience they’re very jump tolerant and comparable in performance to 105s.

Only thing I would say to keep an eye on is lot to lot consistency… not so much BC, but length. I will usually measure a couple out of every new lot just to make sure my seating depth is where I want it. Them being as jump tolerant as they are usually doesn’t change much, but I have noticed some seating depth differences when switching lots/not adjusting my die.

The only other thing I’ve noticed is that the BC usually takes a little “truing” with my kestrel, whereas my Hybrid profiles are usually very close or spot on to the library data.

Reactions: simonp