• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Switching barrels back and forth on Impact 737R

Zbizzle911

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2020
I have a new barrel coming for my Impact 737R. I was thinking of using my current barrel just for PRS practice and the new one for competitions. I know the zeros will be different for each barrel, but was wondering how repeatable the zeros would be? Would they change each time the barrel is torqued? Anyone have first hand experience with this? Thanks in advance!

I recently tested this with a 6.5 CM and 7SS. I think it’s pretty repeatable. I screwed the barrel on hand tight, shot a round, screwed the barrel completely off, screwed it back on hand tight, shot a round, repeat x 7. Shot 1/2 MOA groups at 400 and 500. I’m going to zero my scopes for whatever barrel I plan to shoot the most off which action and then record my offsets for each barrel for each action from those points. I think it’s going to work well, and it’s super easy.

Reactions: Zbizzle911
In a right hand twist barrel the barrel actually self tightens when you fire a round. But, also, if it’s going to come loose it’s not going to happen instantaneously and all of a sudden your head space will change by 10 thou and you get a case head separation. What happens is that your group opens up. You then reach up and check. If someone was leary, then just grab a strap wrench and give it a little extra.

Reactions: khuber84
That’s good to know, I would of thought it we be off a little more. What do people usually torque Impacts to?

As a switch barrel addict, I have often wondered how the Impact would fare with hand tight barrels. I just bought 2 new impacts, one 6br and one 6.5cm/7saum. I have been contemplating doing hand tight barrels on the 6.5cm/7saum for ease of barrel changes. I've had Desert Techs and Terminus Zeus's, so not using some method of securing the barrel tenon always leaves that lingering doubt in the back of your mind ("is the rifle going to explode if that barrel works itself loose?")

Sounds like it doesn't go anywhere though. I've also read that lots of bench rest guys will only go hand tight for various reasons.