• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Switching barrels on a Remington 700

Bonk1999

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2005
Tucson, AZ
Hi folks. I have been using the search function for the past few hours trying to figure out if I can take a Remington 700 in 6.8, and switch out the barrel for one in a different caliber, using the action that is in the rifle?

I thought I saw a thread a while ago where a member was thinking of getting a couple 700's in 6.8 from CDNN and using them for other projects leter on down the road. That is what I would like to do if it is possible.

If someone could point me in the right direction to research this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bonk.

Re: Switching barrels on a Remington 700

You can re-barrel it, but it depends on what you're caliber you're wanting. The action is what dictates your choices,not what caliber the barrel is.

There are several rounds that you can re-barrel too,you just need to pick one.

As Boltripper stated, the boltface diameter is going to be the determining factor.

Never seen a 6.8mmSPC bolt action, but if it has a non-standard boltface, that's going to limit your options or you'll have to rework the bolt/get a replacement.

Standard Boltfaces:
.378"dia(.222rem, .223rem, .204Ruger, etc)
.473"dia (.308win+children, 30/06+children)
.532"dia (WSM, SAUM, H&H Mag+children,RUM dependent on length)

I want to say the 6.8SPC is something like .430". Can someone confirm?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to say the 6.8SPC is something like .430". Can someone confirm? </div></div>

.421 or .422 rim diameter for a 6.8 SPC. Talk to a gunsmith and see if he can open up the bolt face .050" for cartridges based on the 308, and still shoot the 6.8. This will allow you a switch barrel.

If I understand you correctly you want to make a switch barrel rifle, if thats the case you will need to modify your bolt face like others said. You will also need to pin you lug.

Thanks guys. Is there any literature or web info on this topic out there that I can read and learn up on?

Bonk