• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Switching barrels on a trued 700?

MTS308

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2018
Lake butler fl
I have a Remington 700 in 223 that I had trued and put a .250 precision ground recoil lug and a shouldered hawk hill heavy Palma 7 twist barrel installed on. My question is can I buy a bolt with a 308 bolt face and lap it to the reciever, then buy a remage prefit barrel in whatever cartridge and swap back and forth between the shouldered barrel and the remage prefit?

Mebbe.
Mebbe not.
Depends on what was done to "true" the action.
If the threads were single pointed, and cut more than a few thou oversize fitment of barrels with pitch diameter at factory spec could be too loose.

Otherwise, no problem. Just make sure you have a witness mark on the shouldered barrel so that you can torque back to same headspace.

in all honesty I don't know what all was trued on the action. The gunsmith who did the work said unless the action really needed the threads single pointed he was only going to true the action face and bolt lug abutment. So I'm assuming that's all he did.

I recommend getting a hold of the GS and seeing if he keeps any records for what he did for what customers. That way you could know for sure what was done.

However, a CBI Remage with a barrel nut is ~ $425 from NSS. It could be worth grabbing one to see if it fits. If not, you could always sell it in the PX.

I've been looking at the NSS barrels and that's what I'm considering putting on my action.

I have a 26” MTU contour that I have 120 rounds on and I’m getting 2718 average velocity over 20 shot strings with an SD of 7.8 and ES of 24 (If I remember correctly) with 20 shots in a golf ball size hole.

I recommend it!

EDIT: My Rem700 is not trued.

I have a 26” MTU contour that I have 120 rounds on and I’m getting 2718 average velocity over 20 shot strings with an SD of 7.8 and ES of 24 (If I remember correctly) with 20 shots in a golf ball size hole.

I recommend it!

EDIT: My Rem700 is not trued.

I've been considering buying a nontrued action and going that route. And just leaving the 223 like it sits.

I've been considering buying a nontrued action and going that route. And just leaving the 223 like it sits.
Honestly, that may be the best. By the time you pay for a new bolt body and have it worked over and the Remage you could have grabbed a short action and slapped a Remage barrel on it.

That’s a tough decision man. Good luck!

Reactions: aljones_315
You not only need to look at the thread diameter but you might run into extraction timing problems. Depends on what was done during the truing to bolt lug seats and action seat surface. Best switch barrel setup would be a custom action with Remington spec threads.

Pull the barrel off, measure the diameter.
That will tell you if the threads were single point cut oversize.
If the diameter is 1.062" than you are good to go for a remage barrel.

Might want the lug pinned to the receiver b4 you do barrel swaps. Easier to put back into a bedded stock (if that's what you have).
Regular Remington bolts can be found new on fleabay.
You could have the original gunsmith do the initial set up with the new bolt and barrel and have a switch barrel rifle,

Dont forget 308 mag box and follower.

In the end, it's cheaper to buy a pawnshop gun, and go with the barrel. Simpler in most ways.

Reactions: ShooterwithNoName
I talked to the gunsmith who trued the action today. All he did was true the lug and action face. He didn't touch the threads. I've been doing the math on it and it seems smarter to just buy a cheap donor rifle and use that action than to buy another bolt for the action I have. So that's probably what I'll do. Thanks guys