• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Switching between ammo?

DropinLead

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2013
Desert of Az.
I have several match type of ammo from black hille to hornaday and federal and some cheaper pmc stuff. I have read that one should clean the barrel between shooting different ammombrands and types. Does that mean rod and brush cleaning or bore snaking it several times with hoppes between ammo types. I was hoping to maybe shoot cheaper stuff followed by premium stuff in a session to stretch out the better ammo, as opposed to shooting all of 1 type before switching to the next. What is necessary there cleaning wise to maintain consitency with the understanding ammo varies if that makes sense. Thanks

Re: Switching between ammo?

I never boresnake so I can't speak to that.

my cleaning between ammo types is based on how much powder/carbon fouling there is. Typically 2 - 4 wet patches (Sweets)and dry patching between is all it takes...I'm not anal about it anymore like I used to be.

That said, there have been numerous times where I just shot what ever I had and never cleaned between brands...less it was cheap battle pack stuff. Not enough difference in impact location to warrant the extra cleaning...the battle pack stuff was just dirty and needed powder fouling cleaned anyway.

If you don't do it already, reload...much cheaper than factory.

I've never heard of any necessaity to clean between ammo brands.

Ok thanks. Ohh I read it here:

http://www.primalrights.com/forum/article.php?a=6208

"Finally we had another full box of DTM ammo left, so we ran it through the chrono. Only 5 hits, but after about 5 hours of laying around juggling rifles and ammo we were fairly fatigued and the rifle was no doubt starting to get fouled a bit since we were not cleaning between different types of ammo. It's a virtual certainty that if we would have cleaned the bore the accuracy would have been at least twice that good as we saw on the first DTA DTM target."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DropinLead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok thanks. Ohh I read it here:

http://www.primalrights.com/forum/article.php?a=6208

"Finally we had another full box of DTM ammo left, so we ran it through the chrono. Only 5 hits, but after about 5 hours of laying around juggling rifles and ammo we were fairly fatigued and the rifle was no doubt starting to get fouled a bit since we were not cleaning between different types of ammo. It's a virtual certainty that if we would have cleaned the bore the accuracy would have been at least twice that good as we saw on the first DTA DTM target."
</div></div>

This was likely more due to a very long day of shooting as opposed to shooting diffrent types of ammo. You shouldnt have any issue shooting some cheap ammo then shooting match after that especially if you are shooting on small quanties not hundreds of rounds in a session.

Yeah, I've never heard of the need to cleanse the rifle's "palate", if you will, before using another brand of ammunition. *Maybe* if a BR shooter is trying to control for all variables in load testing he might do it, but I don't see much need for it in practical shooting. I'd say fire away until the accuracy drops off.

I don't think it plays as big a role as some think, if noticeable at all, it's probably only the first couple rounds.

Last edited:
I talked to the guy that did that test on primal rights. He wasn't suggesting cleaning between ammo types was making a big deal. He was saying that sending a hundred rounds down the bore, can foul it, and affect accuracy. He had tracked that barrel's performance, and it generally starts throwing shots as it approaches a hundred or so rounds. So when doing an ammo test, it would be better to clean before switching, so that you get the same bore condition for each type of ammo.