• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Switching from 6.8 to 300 Blackout......

Saito

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2008
1537 Paper St.
I should have all of my 6.8 stuff gone soon. If the guy doesn't get back to me quickly, it'll be in the for sale thread.

Anyhow,

I don't plan to buy factory 300 Blackout ammo. I've become a reloading snob over the last couple years. I want to make my own Blackout brass from the plethora of .223/5.56 that I have. I've seen videos on it. Here's my question:

Do I have to cut the brass with a saw?? I have a Dillon RT1200 trimmer and trim/size die that I process my .223s with. I'd like to make my Blackout brass this way, if possible. Dillon's website sucks my ass, still. Where can I find a trim/size die for 300 Blackout? I don't care if it takes me 2 passes on the 550B to get it cut down, I'm not doing it with a freakin' saw.

Also, if I use a 300 whisper die, will I have to expand the necks with a .30 cal expander ball(cuz the 300-221 has thinner case walls where the neck ends up being)?

Re: Switching from 6.8 to 300 Blackout......

You can trim the brass however you want to. There is no right or wrong way.

The Dillon trimmer works, but Dillon says that is too much brass to remove and won't warrenty the trimmer when used to cut 300 BLK brass.
CHD Trim die is what I think I remember reading. Also need a milled toolhead for the 550.
Bradswarehouse.com is coming to mind.

I used Redding's 300-221 die set and have to use the expander ball.

The dillon trimmer will cut down 556 brass, but it causes a lot more wear on the trimmer. I had one I used for a long time just doing 556 but it died within the first 2K of blk.

Dillon has since said they will no longer warranty trimmers if they are used for blackout. Cutting off that much brass causes a lot of extra wear on the bearings which will cut down on trimmer life.

Well shit, maybe I'll just do it in 2 steps then. I have two 550Bs, so I'll just get 2 .300 whisper trim/size dies and another RT1200 I guess. I'm just trying to be as efficient as possible as time spent at the bench while I'm home from work is at a premium(got a 7mo little girl).

Thanks for the advice so far, I really appreciate it. I'll check C4H's website to see if they have a .300 Blackout specific die set and trim/sizer. I'm sure they'll custom make me some if I need it. I got a set of .458 SOCOM dies from them yrs ago. Good stuff.