• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Switching from McMillian to Foundation thoughts?

Nostradumbass

Falconer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 7, 2009
    NE Texas
    Hey Fellas,
    I’ve been shooting PRS style comps for a little over a year now, and I’m finally getting comfortable with the process.

I’ve been shooting with a custom 6.5X47 in a McMillian A4 stock. I’m really not a chassis guy and I don’t see anyone else running McMillian stocks.

I do like the Foundation option. The Genesis 2 has my interest the most and I’m considering going ahead and progressing an order.

My question is, what are the appreciable advantages with the Foundation over McMillian? Is it mainly the weight and ability to use internal weights to balance the rifle? Does the Foundation stock help with the recoil impulse as well due to the micarta material versus fiberglass?

Thanks a ton for your time!

C0773491-8110-43F2-8F91-061A1F7AAA38.jpeg

Being able to add weight is pretty significant difference. There's a reason everyone winning is running heavy rifles.

The recoil impulse thing is a personal preference. Many people report the recoil feeling more "dead." Though there plenty of people who say they can't feel a difference. Neither are wrong as it's simply a subjective observation.

Like Rio said, adding weight (and balance point) is a big deal. Most love the recoil impulse of a Foundation but some don't prefer it. Very personal decision. Ideally you could shoot one and find out for yourself. Have you looked at Manners PRS stocks as well ?

Hey Fellas,
    I’ve been shooting PRS style comps for a little over a year now, and I’m finally getting comfortable with the process.

I’ve been shooting with a custom 6.5X47 in a McMillian A4 stock. I’m really not a chassis guy and I don’t see anyone else running McMillian stocks.

I do like the Foundation option. The Genesis 2 has my interest the most and I’m considering going ahead and progressing an order.

My question is, what are the appreciable advantages with the Foundation over McMillian? Is it mainly the weight and ability to use internal weights to balance the rifle? Does the Foundation stock help with the recoil impulse as well due to the micarta material versus fiberglass?

Thanks a ton for your time!

View attachment 8321485
    Find someone at a match who has a foundation and see if you can shoot their rifle. I like the dead thud feeling of a foundation compared to most chassis and stocks.

Last edited:
    I have a Genesis stock from Foundation that is very nice, but my biggest complaint is the distance from the grip to the trigger. It weighs quite a bit more than the Mcmillan stocks I have (htg and game scout). I definitely would ask someone and atleast dry fire it to see if the grip to trigger distance bothers you as much as it does me.

Reactions: Baron23
    I have a Genesis stock from Foundation that is very nice, but my biggest complaint is the distance from the grip to the trigger. It weighs quite a bit more than the Mcmillan stocks I have (htg and game scout). I definitely would ask someone and atleast dry fire it to see if the grip to trigger distance bothers you as much as it does me.
    That’s why the MG2 was created.

Try before you buy. Love the feel of a foundation. I’ve had an exodus, centurion and now a revelation. Although the revelation is considered a hunting stock it balances well for me with an MTU bbl. I also found I prefer a straight grip that puts my hand closer to the trigger and a more narrow forearm. I can still run a grayops plate on a game changer and be steady. I’ve also tried several different MPA chassis and manners stocks. Foundation for me over a chassis or a layered stock. Foundation also just released a new stock that will allow adding weights. If you like a straight grip and heavier stock, but a narrow forearm, you can ask foundation to cut you a centurion with an exodus forearm. Lots of options, but again try before you buy. It will save you some aggravation and $.

Reactions: nrspence
    I never felt the appeal of a traditional stock over a chassis and ran krg for a while as I wanted the modularity. Being in OK you can't shake a stick without hitting a Foundation. Finally shot a squad members Foundation and for prs I won't run anything else. Am I going to trek a 25lb rifle on a hunt, obviously no. But for the prs game it's ideal. I thought I'd miss the 'modularity' of a chassis and I do not. I can definitely tell the difference in recoil feel between a foundation and an aluminum chassis. As Rio stated tho, it is subjective to the shooter.

Last edited:
    The recoil difference would be more pronounced coming from a full aluminium "tuning fork" chassis then it would be from a fiberglass stock (or a chassis like a JAE).