• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Switching Remington 700 BDL stock

walters900

Private
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2017
Looking for some wisdom. I'm trying switch my Remington 700 BDL to a different stock with a detachable bottom magazine, is it just a matter of finding a new stock with detachable bottom magazine and switching or is their some gunsmith work that I would have to have done to make that transition? Thanks.

More or less, you can buy stocks that are inlet for the M5 DBM that have bedding pillars or an aluminum bedding block that are basically plug and play. Drop your action in, insert a M5 compatible DBM system, tighten the screws and you'll more than likely be ready to go. Depending on some variables you might have to tweek the feed lips or something but nothing really complicated.

You can get Bell & Carlson, McMillan, Manners, Grayboe, and other stocks set up this way.

Magpul's Hunter 700 can be converted to a DBM using their polymer "bottom metal" but removing a spacer and dropping it in.

Chassis systems further simplify things by integrating the DBM capability into the stock so you just drop your action in and torque the screws down. KRG, XLR, Magpul, MPA, Accuracy International, etc...provide the ability. Manners with the mini-chassis also offers this capability with a more traditional stock feel.

Last edited:
Looking for some wisdom. I'm trying switch my Remington 700 BDL to a different stock with a detachable bottom magazine, is it just a matter of finding a new stock with detachable bottom magazine and switching or is their some gunsmith work that I would have to have done to make that transition? Thanks.

You'll want to get a stock with an M5 inlet and then use M5 DBM bottom metal. We have a guide to bottom metal on our site that you can check out here: https://hawkinsprecision.com/2020/0...e-to-purchasing-precision-rifle-bottom-metal/

Look it over and let us know if you have any questions.