• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Switching scopes between rifles

rossneder

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2006
Flagstaff, AZ
www.neder.com
I searched but found no "personal experience" answers.

I've had more than my share of scope failures so at this point I have decided to get what I consider a perfect scope for my needs, Heritage 5-25. Unfortunately I can't afford more than one, so the question is with a high quality QD mount or for that matter any mount, what sort of repeatability can you expect after switching the scope to another rifle?

In particular, using the "no tool" zero on the Heritage will it be possible to just dial a known zero when switched?

I assume that I will be very consistent in how I mount and torque the Larue or whatever base you guys have experience with.

I've heard +/- 1 moa, I sure hope for better than that.

Thanks,
Ross

Re: Switching scopes between rifles

Scope failures are almost unheard of under normal conditions. (not including driving nails). Repeatabilty is always a function of how tightly the parts fit together before any clamping or tightening force is applied. I have several Griffin & Howe mounts that were lapped so that the top fits the base with a gentle tapping of a rawhide mallet. they offer 1/2 moa repeatabilty. My Warne mounts on an AR flatop are good for 2 moa. Weaver mounts are 2-3 moa and turn in mounts (Leupold) are excellent on elevation (1/2 moa) when the are new, but windage is more hit & miss.
In summary, the closer it fits, the better it will repeat, kinda like a 1911 slide and frame.

Thanks for the reply, I was actually thinking of a one piece system that simply attached to the rail to reduce the number of variables.

Any thoughts?

Ross

The LaRue will sit up too high, unless both guns are AR style rifles.

ARMS makes QD rings. You could take badger/leupold/or TPS ring and buy a torque wrench and just torque them to the same spec each time you change the scope over. I think this would yield the best result. No need for a one piece mount IMO.

-dan

You can switch scopes and have a relatively close zero less than 1 moa is asking a lot also you would have to have 3-4 rails all the same lapped the same and torqued the same to get this ?
I bought 3 of the same scopes not S&B but night force
Bill

Torque is not the only issue. Unless every rail was absolutly identical, the alignment of the scope would not be the same.
The other sytem that claims high repeatabilty is the Swaro. new rail mount as the rail is part of the scope, thus removing another variable.
This whole concept has been a holy grail for decades with limited success. IMO for 99% of us, three good Leupolds that are solidly mounted are a better choice than a high end scope in any QD system.
I drive a eight year old truck and have three Schmidt and Benders....it's all in your priorities.

Mr. Humble you sound like me I have a surgeon remedy with a schmidt on it and my truck needs a transmission! Hahahaha the way I see it is "f" it the piece still moves!

An AI mount would alleviate some of the error.

However, because you are going with the 5-25 Premier. IT has Turrets that are shear genius for re-zeroing. There will be some error but it really isn't a big deal as re-zeroing will take you 2 shots and 2 min. when you switch.

Yup, that's the whole reason I thought that the idea had a possibility.

The other option is to get 3-4 less expensive scopes like the Falcon and go permanent mount with the same benefit of cross scope consistency.

Ross