• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Swivel stud in the side of a B&C stock

kentactic

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2010
Southern, CA
i want to put swivel studs on the side of the rifle to make it work better with a sling. anyone done this on a B&C stock? did it hold up?

Re: Swivel stud in the side of a B&C stock

This link shows a Mcmillan forearm with foam core inside the fiberglass shell. Most composite stocks are built this way. I doubt B&C has as thick of a shell as McM, but the sling studs mount the same on the side as bottom. Notice the holes are bored thru the foam to the shell. Manners mounts their studs and cups the same way.

A buddy is going thru this too. B&C doesn't have near the meat on some of their forearms compared the McM. Trick is to remove enough foam core without getting into the radius of the shell. The sling studs are just 10-32 thread, so finding blind nuts or any small diameter locknuts is simple.

Flush cups will not protruded out of your stock and you can get flush cup adaptors to run the old school swivels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MWDG3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This link shows a Mcmillan forearm with foam core inside the fiberglass shell. Most composite stocks are built this way. I doubt B&C has as thick of a shell as McM, but the sling studs mount the same on the side as bottom. Notice the holes are bored thru the foam to the shell. Manners mounts their studs and cups the same way.

A buddy is going thru this too. B&C doesn't have near the meat on some of their forearms compared the McM. Trick is to remove enough foam core without getting into the radius of the shell. The sling studs are just 10-32 thread, so finding blind nuts or any small diameter locknuts is simple. </div></div>

McMillan, Manners and B&C use vastly different construction techniques.

The B&C Medalist series have an aluminum skeleton in the forend. As long as you screw into that you should be fine. The skeleton does not extend forward of the last factory installed stud, so make sure you are rearward of that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">McMillan, Manners and B&C use vastly different construction techniques.</div></div>

How so?

As I understand it B&C hand lays fiberglass. Many of their stocks with sling studs do not have the little aluminum finger running thru the forearm.

When I compare my B&C to the link I posted it's blatantly obvious McM has a thicker shell.

fixed up 2 b&c stocks with flush cups.
figured it's fiberglass i can fix it if it breaks but i'm now sure it's not breaking.
i was sceptical of the rear cup holding but the fiber glass is a good 1/2" thick and have had no problems on either. the front cup actually goes into the aluminum skeleton so i feel confident it is good to go. The light tactical stock has a lot of carrying miles on it and is showing no problem signs.
DSCN2388.jpg

DSCN2551.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MWDG3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
How so?

As I understand it B&C hand lays fiberglass. Many of their stocks with sling studs do not have the little aluminum finger running thru the forearm.

When I compare my B&C to the link I posted it's blatantly obvious McM has a thicker shell. </div></div>

Not sure what "little aluminum finger" you are talking about.

IMG_3507.jpg

McMillan stocks gain their strength from their shell. There is no inner structure. B&C use shell and an inner chassis for strength. The McMillan shell is much thicker and laid up differently. Hence they are constructed differently.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lots of canoe paddles seem to be parading about </div></div>

You just never know. Better than being up shit creek without...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lots of canoe paddles seem to be parading about </div></div>

</div></div>

naw....them paddles float.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lots of canoe paddles seem to be parading about </div></div>

</div></div>

naw....them paddles float..... </div></div>

Boltripper; I've seen you reference that B&C stocks "float" several times. You're getting a little repetitive, care to enlighten the rest of us with why a stock shouldn't float? I guess I don't understand your logic and to say your posts are cryptic would be giving them too much credit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guess I need to go fill up the bathtub now............ </div></div>

Ok now you've gone and done it, I can almost hear the water running and the legs of the tri-pod for the camera snapping out.

Don't take "float" literally. I believe he means the B&C are more serviceable ad boat paddles than rifle stocks. I would agree.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fixed up 2 b&c stocks with flush cups.
figured it's fiberglass i can fix it if it breaks but i'm now sure it's not breaking.
i was sceptical of the rear cup holding but the fiber glass is a good 1/2" thick and have had no problems on either. the front cup actually goes into the aluminum skeleton so i feel confident it is good to go. The light tactical stock has a lot of carrying miles on it and is showing no problem signs.
DSCN2388.jpg

DSCN2551.jpg
</div></div>

ok couple questions... i have a medalist stock, does that have an alluminum frame out to the front studs? did you tap the alluminum frame or just thread the normal agrressive threaded swivel into it?

second question where did you get the sling in the picture and how much was it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kentactic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fixed up 2 b&c stocks with flush cups.
DSCN2388.jpg

DSCN2551.jpg
</div></div>

ok couple questions... i have a medalist stock, does that have an alluminum frame out to the front studs? did you tap the alluminum frame or just thread the normal agrressive threaded swivel into it?

second question where did you get the sling in the picture and how much was it? </div></div>

Should be able to go on their website to see if your model has the full length frame. If I were to install threaded cups into the aluminum frame the right way would be to thread it of course.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KeithR41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't take "float" literally. I believe he means the B&C are more serviceable ad boat paddles than rifle stocks. I would agree.

41 </div></div>
NO...Boltripper literally means they are a piece of styrofoam with a thin skin applied. I used to live near the B&C factory (33 miles) when it was in Atwood Kansas...bought the reject stocks for $40 then blew out the interiors w/dremel tools. I could make any action fit with enough Acraglass...filled in all the pinholes with superglue and sanded w/360 grit. You can not imagine what a POS those stock were, but when I got the final paint/finish on them.... they were a "work of art". I could take a SA Rem stock and fit a Weatherby Mag long action and you would never know.

They really are boat paddles....foam and fiberglas. I really can't belive that Remington uses these for some of their "hi-end" rifles!

But do they not have a rather large aluminum frame? We aren't hearing about broken B&C stocks all over the place, I'd think that the fiberglass shell isn't the right part to scrutinize for overall strength. It seems like they're getting a lot of hate, yet I've never seen a picture of one broken.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBore56</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KeithR41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't take "float" literally. I believe he means the B&C are more serviceable ad boat paddles than rifle stocks. I would agree.

41 </div></div>
NO...<span style="font-weight: bold">Boltripper literally means they are a piece of styrofoam with a thin skin applied</span>. I used to live near the B&C factory (33 miles) when it was in Atwood Kansas...bought the reject stocks for $40 then blew out the interiors w/dremel tools. I could make any action fit with enough Acraglass...filled in all the pinholes with superglue and sanded w/360 grit. You can not imagine what a POS those stock were, but when I got the final paint/finish on them.... they were a "work of art". I could take a SA Rem stock and fit a Weatherby Mag long action and you would never know.

They really are boat paddles....foam and fiberglas. I really can't belive that Remington uses these for some of their "hi-end" rifles! </div></div>

Interesting. I bored holes in mine with a Forster bit to fit flush cups and it was a solid composite material of some sort with an alloy internal frame. The butt portion is partially hollow which made installation a bit tricky.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kentactic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

second question where did you get the sling in the picture and how much was it? </div></div>
Medalist stocks have the full length alluminum and the factory front studs do thread into it. got the threaded flush cups from grovtec. Drilled a 9/16 hole then flared the bottom of the hole a little with a dremel, and used jb weld. The 9/16 hole is just enough that the threads will hold the cup in place while the epoxy hardens. I flip the stock with cups facing down to dry so that the epoxy will pool against the rear cup and not drip to other side on butt end ( hope that makes since). After the epoxy sets up, if there is any in the cup I use the dremel and a screw driver to clean it out.

Sling is a tab gear with flush cup attachments. I forget their web site but google fu should find it quick. I think was about $75 but don't hold me to that.

Pm me if you want some better pics of the cups installed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure what "little aluminum finger" you are talking about.</div></div>

This is considerably thicker than previous photos I've seen. B&C used to have a pic on their site, can't find it now. Here's an old pic...

BC2960.jpg

Lonewolf, why do you have such a detailed pic of the skeleton? Are you affiliated with B&C? Seems to me looking at the heavy skeleton with all the new models and options, B&C is really improving quality. I own several Manners and an older Medalist with aluminum pillars and the differences are obvious. That said, it was like pulling teeth to get my buddy into a Medalist for his Vanguard. When he put it next to the injection molded factory "paddle", THAT difference was also obvious.

Pretty sure LW cut a stock length wise in half to get his skeleton.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KeithR41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't take "float" literally. I believe he means the B&C are more serviceable ad boat paddles than rifle stocks. I would agree.

41</div></div>

.....bingo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71firebird400</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But do they not have a rather large aluminum frame? We aren't hearing about broken B&C stocks all over the place, I'd think that the fiberglass shell isn't the right part to scrutinize for overall strength. It seems like they're getting a lot of hate, yet I've never seen a picture of one broken.</div></div>

Dude....years ago i was right next to one of my gunplumbers as he was attempting to place a stud in a B&C stock......

have you ever tried to anchor something to a marshmallow.....

shit like that that fails gets junked immediately...never to be visited again.....

why waste time on crap that fails, .....of course YOU could paint the stock ,,,,,and then you would have a sniper rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71firebird400</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But do they not have a rather large aluminum frame? We aren't hearing about broken B&C stocks all over the place, I'd think that the fiberglass shell isn't the right part to scrutinize for overall strength. It seems like they're getting a lot of hate, yet I've never seen a picture of one broken.</div></div>

Dude....years ago i was right next to one of my gunplumbers as he was attempting to place a stud in a B&C stock......

have you ever tried to anchor something to a marshmallow.....

shit like that that fails gets junked immediately...never to be visited again.....

why waste time on crap that fails, .....of course YOU could paint the stock ,,,,,and then you would have a sniper rifle. </div></div>

So other than not being able to install a stud into them, you don't have a problem with them?

LoneWolfUSMC's picture above of the aluminum chassis looks pretty substantial...wonder if the one you were working on was different.

I have a few of the Choate stocks and they have the studs mounted on the side really like them that way. You can carry it with out having the Bolt or bipod sticking you in the back. Yes there not the prettiest stocks out there but they function well for me and thats what counts right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">have you ever tried to anchor something to a marshmallow.....</div></div>

I recently mounted a Seekins SRS under a B&C Medalist Howa 30-06. Picked up the existing stud insert and bored a 7/16" hole inside the channel down far enough to get the locknut under the barrel. Everything tightened down solid, then filled in the channel with epoxy.

Perfectly fine IMHO for hunting application.

NOTE TO BELL & CARLSON....30-06 has to be a top selling Howa/Vanguard. STOP leaving the long actions out of your new stock designs.

If Lonewolfe has Medalist stocks to slice up, maybe he could set one up like this?

stockkkk-595x346.png

smile.gif