• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

T.I.G.E.R. Valley Bug Out Drill - Oct 2014: Official Thread

kwkarl

Private
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2014
T.I.G.E.R. Valley Bug Out Drill - Oct 2014: Official Thread

It’s here again, the 2014 Bug Out Drill, the challenge unlike any other.
You’re driving home from work and an EMP strikes, the Russians have detonated several nukes over the United States. The pulse has destroyed all electronics and chaos has ensued. No signal lights, bank alarms, stores are being robbed for anything of value. You move to your trunk and get you Bug Out bag and start heading home, the best way you know. This means you must trek over wooded and public roads, hiding from possible thugs that might want to strip you of anything of value. Expect 17 or 18 miles of cross country movement, lots of shooting situations and test of your thinking ability and preparedness. You must get home as quickly as possible, good luck.

Date: Saturday, Oct 4, 2014
Time: Sign-in at 7:00am; Drill begins at 8:00am
Cost: $150 (This event is limited to 50 competitors)

Equipment: No calibers above .308. No armor piercing ammunition or tracer rounds allowed. All shooters will be required to carry a pistol at all times during the match. This will be a high round count event, both shooter should bring 150 rounds of rifle and 100 rounds of pistol, if you don’t miss. There is no weapon or equipment limits, but if you use it you must carry it. There can be no switching of gear or dropping of gear during the match, you start with it you finish with it. This year you must carry all your water, or filter it from the stock pond.

A meal will be served at the end of the event.
This event is limited to 50 competitors. Limited space for camping is available

10/4/2014 - Bug Out Drill

Please share your past experiences with the BOD and what equipment you will be taking for this year’s drill.

This year will be my first BOD, but I am extremely excited. I live south of Houston and have completed 2 half marathons and 1 full marathon. I am an Eagle Scout and always loved the survival skills and camping. Once Jnors06 showed this to me a few weeks ago, I have been addicted.

I have already gathered many of my items and I and focusing on items that have multipurpose and using actual survival items that would help in the wilderness for weeks not just for 72 hours. Once my pack is closer to being ready I will list them out.

For the shooting I will be carrying my Bushmaster AR15 and I will be buying a Smith & Wesson M&P9 or M&P9c. I have tried many handguns and I just like the feel of the M&P’s, plus the 9mm ammo will save me a lot of pounds compared to my Kimber 1911 .45 ACP.

If anyone has any pointers or ideas that would help me prepare better please let me know. Thanks.

I picked up some new gear last night.

Order from REI came in.
Clean Canteen - Stainless Steel single walled - For water, cooking, etc.
Carbines - Climbing grade
Rescue Pulley - Climbing Grade

Academy
Les Stroud Mountain Survival Knife
Cheap $2 tackle box - For fishing and sewing kit

To go along with my:
Smith & Wesson M&P Backpack
Leather-man
Life Straw
First Aid Kit

I know its a slow start, but i have till October and I will be field testing it a few times when I can.