• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

T1x Action Smooth

slickalaus12

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2020
Canada
Hey Guys,
First off I am new to the site, and fairly new to guns in general, so please forgive my lack of terminology. I recently purchased a T1x after already owning a t3. The action on the t3 is very smooth, the bolt will slide back with the slightest tilt of the gun. Purchasing the T1x I am a little disappointed with how (not) smooth the bolt is. After further inspection I am noticing there is a tiny little bar that applies pressure to the side of the bolt as it slides forward and back. Also, the bolt release button collapses as the bolt is pulled backward, seemingly causing more friction as the bolt is pulled back forward. I am wondering what the purpose of these changes are? And is there anything I can do to mitigate these effects? Photos attached for what is hopefully a better explanation of what I am trying to ask. Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200302-215239_Gallery.png
    Screenshot_20200302-215239_Gallery.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 211
  • 20200302_214929.png
    20200302_214929.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 204
The "bar" appears to be the ejector, though I've never messed with a Tikka, so I don't know for sure.
Keep in mind, the T1X action is much bigger than a typical rimfire (since it's designed to use centerfire stocks), you have oversized components for the tiny .22 rimfire.
The bolt release is spring loaded, it must keep pressure laterally in order to function correctly. If it didn't apply force to the side of the bolt, then the bolt would just pull out.
Your centerfire bolt is much larger and heavier, mass has a way of overcoming resistance when force is applied.

The "bar" appears to be the ejector, though I've never messed with a Tikka, so I don't know for sure.
Keep in mind, the T1X action is much bigger than a typical rimfire (since it's designed to use centerfire stocks), you have oversized components for the tiny .22 rimfire.
The bolt release is spring loaded, it must keep pressure laterally in order to function correctly. If it didn't apply force to the side of the bolt, then the bolt would just pull out.
Your centerfire bolt is much larger and heavier, mass has a way of overcoming resistance when force is applied.

appreciate the response!

It will become smoother as you shoot it.

The bar indeed is the ejector which is not really going anywhere.

The bolt release can be finesanded for smoother contact but it needs the angle and spring to keep the bolt from dropping out.

Reactions: slickalaus12
It will become smoother as you shoot it.

The bar indeed is the ejector which is not really going anywhere.

The bolt release can be finesanded for smoother contact but it needs the angle and spring to keep the bolt from dropping out.

thanks. with the bolt release i just found it odd as on the t3 it doesn't seem to collapse in the same way. i appreciate the help!

thanks. with the bolt release i just found it odd as on the t3 it doesn't seem to collapse in the same way. i appreciate the help!
You definitely have a problem with your bolt release from looking at the picture.
Pull your action and see if your pin that holds it in place is seated correctly....

I don't have my T1X anymore, but your bolt release does look a little odd. I don't recall mine being that deep. The ejector wire is the one causing the friction on the bolt and why the bolt doesn't just slide in and out like the T3X. I felt the exact same way when I got my T1X thinking it would be super smooth like the T3X. It isn't.

Now in a competition or actually in practice, I rarely notice it at all. The more concern is that the ejector wire puts pressure on the bullet which causes feeding of rounds to not be the best. This is really prominent if you get a really tight match chamber. You won't notice it much on a factory barrel.

My friend and I are still looking at engineering ways to re-engineer that ejector wire to be smoother on feeding, and have good ejection capability.

You definitely have a problem with your bolt release from looking at the picture.
Pull your action and see if your pin that holds it in place is seated correctly....

fresh out of the box that way :/ i found it odd too. though the same level of depth seems to be apparent with this t1x as he cycles.

I don't have my T1X anymore, but your bolt release does look a little odd. I don't recall mine being that deep. The ejector wire is the one causing the friction on the bolt and why the bolt doesn't just slide in and out like the T3X. I felt the exact same way when I got my T1X thinking it would be super smooth like the T3X. It isn't.

Now in a competition or actually in practice, I rarely notice it at all. The more concern is that the ejector wire puts pressure on the bullet which causes feeding of rounds to not be the best. This is really prominent if you get a really tight match chamber. You won't notice it much on a factory barrel.

My friend and I are still looking at engineering ways to re-engineer that ejector wire to be smoother on feeding, and have good ejection capability.

i actually just got mine in the other day so i haven't had the opportunity to get out with it yet. i was certainly a little surprised by the lack of a smoother bolt but you're right that's more of a luxury than something that affects day-to-day use. so far i have cycled a bunch of rounds just to test the ejector. one of the first cycles jammed. after that it was fine. i appreciate the response and will keep my eyes peeled for any updates on your engineering :)

FWIW in playing with various T1x’s at the gun store, some are smoother than others. Not sure if I’m ever going to make the Tikka leap, but that’s my experience.

Edit: a more precise way to say this is, most are smooth, but I’ve run across two that weren’t.

FWIW in playing with various T1x’s at the gun store, some are smoother than others. Not sure if I’m ever going to make the Tikka leap, but that’s my experience.

Edit: a more precise way to say this is, most are smooth, but I’ve run across two that weren’t.

thanks for the input! after getting it out and putting a bunch of rounds through it i am quite happy with it. it shoots nice groups, and though the bolt isnt as smooth as a t3 it's still serviceable and alot smoother than the t-bolt i flipped to get it. i was comparing to my t3 which in hindsight was an unrealistic expectation

Reactions: MakeSawdust
When I first got my T1, I ran about 500rds through it with heavy oil on the bolt. then I cleaned it real well, and shot another 500 through it. Then disassembled the bolt, took some emery cloth and 3 stage metal polishing compound to it. After I finished, the bolt body shined like a mirror as did the contact points for cocking and the guide rails. I greased the contact points with good AR bolt grease and have run another 1500 to 2000 rounds through it. I would say that it's about as smooth as it could get now. I cycle the bolt with my pointer finger knuckle and thumb. It's by far the fastest action I own. Take some time, smooth some contact surfaces up, and it'll come around.

thanks for the reply and the advice on getting her even smoother! i have only got in the about 350 rounds through mine and I already see a positive change and how smooth it is. I am really enjoying the gun and looking forward to breaking it in more