• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

T1X rechambered to engrave?

Quarter Horse

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 17, 2010
    Carlton, OR
    A few weeks ago, I dug up an older thread https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/should-a-22lr-bullet-be-pushed-into-the-lands.6944766/ . I checked three target rifles from across about ninety years. All engraved at least the front driving band of a Center-X .22 cartridge. I then checked my T-1X and it did not engrave the bullet. I haven't shot the T1X for awhile because of eye surgery. Next week I get let off the leash and I'll give a go at some more 6X5s.

I didn't take the T1X apart and measure the barrel but it looks like there is a defined shoulder about two inches from the action. If the stub is parallel to that shoulder it wouldn't be hard to simply cut it back and rechamber with a shorter chamber so the bullet does engrave. Some of you guys have both the skill and the equipment and the results might be enlightening.

I brought this back from the dead because I'm still interested in what the result would be. When I bought the T1X I scoped the barrel and did so when I cleaned it at 1000rds. The barrel looked perfect from one end to the other. I think a slightly shorter chamber that would engrave the front band might make the barrel a screamer.

If you are asking if you can cut back the barrel to rechamber, the answer is yes.
    If you are asking if it will make a tangible difference in accuracy, the answer is maybe.
    Pushing a bullet into the lands isnt an easy button for .25moa

The Tikka chamber is not flawed but kind of sporter style.
    I think just shortening it to reach the lands could do well.

But the chamber is still not as tight as match chambers. Not sure how much that matters.

In my opinion, if you have the tools and time this sounds like a very good idea to try out.

If you are asking if you can cut back the barrel to rechamber, the answer is yes.
    If you are asking if it will make a tangible difference in accuracy, the answer is maybe.
    Pushing a bullet into the lands isnt an easy button for .25moa

Agreed. I think the T1X is exceptional for it's cost. The trigger is significantly better than it should be. Mine is adjusted to around two pounds without a spring change and the break is very clean with no take-up and minimal over travel. I'm not a fan of the stock's ergos . but there are easy fixes that make it tolerable. It is stiff enough that, unless your leaning on it, it is viable. I have no doubt that a better shooter would would get more out of it than I can. The rifling on the barrel is extremely well done.

How’s the gun shoot now? Both of my t1’s shoot amazingly well.

Subes, it is normally in the low fours on a 6X5. The best target I posted was a .388" average and it has since shot a .377 " ave. It has only shot Center-X and has about 1300 rounds through it. I shoot off a crappy "bench" platform but I have done so for ten years and have gotten decent in it's use. The Center-X is random lots and I have never tried to to select a lot. Amazing is a a subjective description. With a well built bench I think it would pick up another .05". I would see .327" as very good. Some of the rebarelled Ts have shot some excellent targets.

The Tikka chamber is not flawed but kind of sporter style.
    I think just shortening it to reach the lands could do well.

But the chamber is still not as tight as match chambers. Not sure how much that matters.

In my opinion, if you have the tools and time this sounds like a very good idea to try out.

NM, that's exactly my thought. It might also induce Tikka to alter the chamber.