• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

T1X vs 457 practicality/aftermarket

sam4886

Stunt Cock
Minuteman
May 15, 2019
Eastern WA
I'm looking into a new bolt 22 to stick a new suppressor on. I want something accurate and in a decent stock or chassis, but not into rimx or vudoo realms.

I've been looking primarily at the t1x and 457 options, but have some questions about fully setting them up and aftermarket upgrades.

First, are there any chassis that dont leave a big ass hole around the mags? Or some kind of inserts for the bravos, oryx, etc? I don't mind going with a boyds either. Would like to keep chassis around this budget if I have to buy a gun then swap it on.

What about triggers? Pretty much equal, depending on spring kits and trigger swaps, right? How low can they both be adjusted to?

I'm not a fan of the dovetail optic mounting on the CZ. I'd rather just have what I'm used to with a drilled/tapped and rail mount like on the tikka.

My biggest hangup making the decision between the two right now is kind of a combo of the above issues. I like the tikka as a rifle with all the american rifle features I'm used to, but I'd have to get a new stock or chassis, and I haven't seen one that has a good magazine/bottom metal interface. I also really like the AT-one stocked varmint barrel CZ, but I don't really want to stack rail clamp adapters then rings on top of the dovetail.

Are there good dovetail mount 30mm or 34mm rings?

Also, does anyone know for sure if the new 457 varmint at-one has the MTR chamber? I've seen it mentioned yes and no, so just wanted to check. Looks like a no to me based on their website.

I’ve been going through this very question myself (less the suppressor factor). I’m pretty set on the TX1. Mostly because I want the ability to put a two stage trigger in it and the dovetail mount on the 457.

Both are great rifles and very similar in performance once they are set up.

Triggers on both are about the same stock and both are drastically improved by a $10 spring change. The spring change on the Tikka is stupid easy. Just back out a couple of screws and you're done. The CZ is just a bit harder... back out a roll pin. Getting that pin back in is the hardest part.

There are after market triggers for the CZ too - timney and triggers by scar are two that I know of

You can get a pic rail for the 457. The one I setup for my son has an Area419 30 MOA rail.

All that said, I setup a CZ457 Varmin for my son. I had so much fun shooting it that I bought a T1x for myself. I sold the Tikka because it just wasn't as nice as the CZ. Performance wise it was good, but fit and finish just were less.
Since I shoot lefty anyway, and neither are available in 22lr in lefty, I'm waiting for a B14R barreled action to see how it stacks up against the CZ.

IMG_2318.jpg

63086179520__0E7D4CDA-207A-4417-B24C-5B3FA923BE02.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: ma smith
i'd much rather a 457 with an MTR chamber

from what i've seen the mags feed better most of the time

and they're accurate little rifles

i don't think either really compares to what a rimx of vudoo can offer as far as matching a comp rifle

I'm looking into a new bolt 22 to stick a new suppressor on. I want something accurate and in a decent stock or chassis, but not into rimx or vudoo realms.

I've been looking primarily at the t1x and 457 options, but have some questions about fully setting them up and aftermarket upgrades.

First, are there any chassis that dont leave a big ass hole around the mags? Or some kind of inserts for the bravos, oryx, etc? I don't mind going with a boyds either. Would like to keep chassis around this budget if I have to buy a gun then swap it on.

What about triggers? Pretty much equal, depending on spring kits and trigger swaps, right? How low can they both be adjusted to?

I'm not a fan of the dovetail optic mounting on the CZ. I'd rather just have what I'm used to with a drilled/tapped and rail mount like on the tikka.

My biggest hangup making the decision between the two right now is kind of a combo of the above issues. I like the tikka as a rifle with all the american rifle features I'm used to, but I'd have to get a new stock or chassis, and I haven't seen one that has a good magazine/bottom metal interface. I also really like the AT-one stocked varmint barrel CZ, but I don't really want to stack rail clamp adapters then rings on top of the dovetail.

Also, does anyone know for sure if the new 457 varmint at-one has the MTR chamber? I've seen it mentioned yes and no, so just wanted to check. Looks like a no to me based on their website.
Couple quick comments.

The t1x stock is (suprisingly) usable for most purposes short of single purpose comp rifle. The t1x natural balance point out of the box is very good. EG if you put a t1x and a 20" heavey t3x tactical etc, the T1x will balance better, becuase the magazine well is much closer to the trigger on the t1x. So the stock rifle actaully works quite well for PRS in the OEM stock, in terms of fore-aft balance.

The shooter ERGOs are also easily brought uo to speed with small dollar investments in $20 Grip and $30 LOP pad/spacer from Tikka (via Baretta/USA). The cheeck riser ±$30-50 or DIY, is the only non-stadard item.

That being said, the aftermarket is well supported with the KRG Bravo backbone offering a t1x option.

FYI any t3 or t3x inlet custome stock can take the t1x bottom metal, so there are tons of other options if you want that approach. The polymer BM is rated for lower torque than alloy versions (max 45 vs 65 in lbs on the action screws). IIRC mine is around 35in lbs.

Reactions: chevy327
Personally Id like the tika but seeing at the time I was getting a 22lr the tika was not available anywhere I looked neither was the cz I found the cz first and jumped on it .but there is no doubt the tika offers more flexibility you can change the trigger to something else you like don't like the plastic stock no problem you can replace it with a chassis really easily price wise . At the time I paid 700 for my mtr which offered a nice wood stock that I could not get for the tika without spending a heck of a lot more money , sadly with the cz I am stuck using cz's trigger so no flat blade tt for that gun It's nice just no where near as nice as it could be. Either the mdt xrs or the krg bravo chassis's are pretty nice for the cost I just stuck with the wood for me it was a buy and shoot no fiddling around needing tons of parts or spending extra money . best of luck with which ever you get either gun should do you proud and this is a nobodies 2 cents .

20210830_095827.jpg

So this is the mag inlet on the CZ OEM chassis MTR rifle. That's what I'm looking for in a chassis for it or the tikka.

Looks like an LSS maybe?

I don't like that the bravo and oryx have big ol holes around the mag.

Personally Id like the tika but seeing at the time I was getting a 22lr the tika was not available anywhere I looked neither was the cz I found the cz first and jumped on it .but there is no doubt the tika offers more flexibility you can change the trigger to something else you like don't like the plastic stock no problem you can replace it with a chassis really easily price wise . At the time I paid 700 for my mtr which offered a nice wood stock that I could not get for the tika without spending a heck of a lot more money , sadly with the cz I am stuck using cz's trigger so no flat blade tt for that gun It's nice just no where near as nice as it could be. Either the mdt xrs or the krg bravo chassis's are pretty nice for the cost I just stuck with the wood for me it was a buy and shoot no fiddling around needing tons of parts or spending extra money . best of luck with which ever you get either gun should do you proud and this is a nobodies 2 cents .

Timney has a flat trigger

And so does Triggers by SCAR

Reactions: acudaowner
View attachment 7843823

So this is the mag inlet on the CZ OEM chassis MTR rifle. That's what I'm looking for in a chassis for it or the tikka.

Looks like an LSS maybe?

Since most of the chassis that I've seen for the Tikka are made to fit either the centerfire T3/T3x or the T1x, you may have trouble finding one with a small mag well, since they would be made big enough for the bigger calibers

Since most of the chassis that I've seen for the Tikka are made to fit either the centerfire T3/T3x or the T1x, you may have trouble finding one with a small mag well, since they would be made big enough for the bigger calibers

Oh yeah, I understand why, I just wish someone would make something with the smaller mags being a design feature.

I was really hoping to be into the bare rifle at more like $600, that chassis gun is like a grand. I guess that's about where I'd be for a tikka and chassis swap though.

Oh yeah, I understand why, I just wish someone would make something with the smaller mags being a design feature.

I was really hoping to be into the bare rifle at more like $600, that chassis gun is like a grand. I guess that's about where I'd be for a tikka and chassis swap though.
i wonder if there's a way to adapt the tikka mag to fit into an aics sized block of 3d printed plastic. or make a baseplate/mag extension aics sized @Tyler Kemp

... I just wish someone would make something with the smaller mags being a design feature.
Shorter mag (front/back) greatly improves the balance point, without weight (y)

Last edited:
Scar selling 457 triggers is news to me. I swear I was on his website this past weekend and it said he wasn’t offering them yet. Now I’m back to being undecided, leaning 457.

View attachment 7843823

Looks like an LSS maybe?

The bergara B14R has a big ol mgazine that fills that big ol hole. Might be an option?

They do make a rails for the CZ. a few DIP, Area 419. I have a Tikka T1x, in a Krg Bravo now. I did a Yo Dave spring change, down to 1 Lb. It shoots very well, sub moa out to 200yds in good conditions. I have had CZ 455, the 457 is step up from the 455.
Have you looked at the Bergara B14R? I have one that is all factory, but the trigger. Trigger Tech Diamond. $1250 all in.
If you add a chassis to the CZ or T1X it will be mim. $400 plus. I have been looking for triggers for the Tikka, they run from $150 to $300+ but still only go down to what I have now. Either will be a good gun. My pick is the Bergara B14R.
Mark

I went with a CZ 457 MTR. I absolutely love it. I planned on selling the stock and barrel and just using the action but I like it too much. I’ll eventually grab another one and put it in a chassis and get a threaded Lilja.

I played with the tikka and preferred the CZ action wise. Planned on getting a scar trigger but it’s tuned down to 1lb 5oz with a spring, good enough for me!

B49D848D-D635-426C-9628-2AAC9BC8B26F.png

Reactions: WeeHooker
Shorter mag (front/back) greatly improves the balance point, wihout weight (y)
I was talking more about the chassis mag well being sized correctly for the little 22 mags, vs the inlet sized for the aics mags for t3x chassis that just happen to allow the t1x to fit as well.

It looks like most of the aftermarket CZ chassis suffer from the same problem. Or at least its real hard to find any pictures online.

All the manufacturer websites use the same picture for the bigger short action chassis so I can't tell if they make the magwell smaller for the 22s. Then most reviews, etc. have your normal side views but you can't see the bottom metal.

I shoot in a Long range rimfire match- 2moa targets out to 250 yards. I have a Tikka in a KRG chassis. It's very competitive with the CZ's and Bergara. I had a 455 and wanted a 457 MTR, but they went unavailable or going for stupid money. No regrets. As for the TIkka trigger, they put a big ass bolt to hold in the trigger group that blocks adjusting it below 2+lbs. Just replace it with a flat 6mm screw. I have mine adjusted to a very consistent 1lb,6 oz. Nice and crisp.

I went with a used CZ 457 MTR from a local guy and paid $550 for it a year or so ago and feel I did alright. The trigger is very light and crisp, and the MTR stick is surprisingly comfortable!

That being said, I have a KRG Bravo for it that I need to put it in, and I’m on Scar’s wait list for a 2-stage (current wait is 6mos+). I also went with an Area419 30MOA rail, and still need a few things for the Bravo before I’ll feel that I’m “done” with it.

But on the whole, I’ve been a CZ rimfire fan for years. I, like many, lamented the retirement of the 452, and then did the same with the 455 a few years later. But after having my MTR awhile, I have to admit that the 457 is a slick little rifle!

I was talking more about the chassis mag well being sized correctly for the little 22 mags, vs the inlet sized for the aics mags for t3x chassis that just happen to allow the t1x to fit as well.

It looks like most of the aftermarket CZ chassis suffer from the same problem. Or at least its real hard to find any pictures online.

All the manufacturer websites use the same picture for the bigger short action chassis so I can't tell if they make the magwell smaller for the 22s. Then most reviews, etc. have your normal side views but you can't see the bottom metal.
I have the MDT LSS RF gen 2 chassis...it has an appropriate sized magazine opening lol. And yes, you can attach a scope rail.

51113797051_490b43d277_b.jpg

Reactions: Frostythesnowman
I shoot in a Long range rimfire match- 2moa targets out to 250 yards. I have a Tikka in a KRG chassis. It's very competitive with the CZ's and Bergara. I had a 455 and wanted a 457 MTR, but they went unavailable or going for stupid money. No regrets. As for the TIkka trigger, they put a big ass bolt to hold in the trigger group that blocks adjusting it below 2+lbs. Just replace it with a flat 6mm screw. I have mine adjusted to a very consistent 1lb,6 oz. Nice and crisp.
There are tapered head allen bolts that allow more adjustment. I can't find the link for them at the moment.

ETA:
Found it:

i wonder if there's a way to adapt the tikka mag to fit into an aics sized block of 3d printed plastic. or make a baseplate/mag extension aics sized @Tyler Kemp
If it wasn't you who suggested this previously, someone did!

Yes we could certainly do this...or easier yet just recreate the whole mag. Which I am working on, just waiting for custom springs.

Oversize mags (EG AICS pattern 22LR) are counter-productive...they jut ruin the rifle balance.

T1x is better with the OEM mags and something like the OEM bottom metal.

I have the MDT LSS RF gen 2 chassis...it has an appropriate sized magazine opening lol. And yes, you can attach a scope rail.
MDT Chassis.png

IMHO, Its preferable to have a smaller (white) magazine so the Gamechanger blance point moves back (dotted line). The further forward the Bag is forced, the more weight you need in the Barrel or bolted to the chassis to get neutral balance.

just my $0.02

If it wasn't you who suggested this previously, someone did!

Yes we could certainly do this...or easier yet just recreate the whole mag. Which I am working on, just waiting for custom springs.
What's the word on your Tikka T1x 12 round mags?

View attachment 7844447

IMHO, Its preferable to have a smaller (white) magazine so the Gamechanger blance point moves back (dotted line). The further forward the Bag is forced, the more weight you need in the Barrel or bolted to the chassis to get neutral balance.

just my $0.02
do you think a few ounces of plastic is going to make that much of a difference to a balance point? versus the added gain functionally of a full size magazine in a tikka T3 chassis?

do you think a few ounces of plastic is going to make that much of a difference to a balance point? versus the added gain functionally of a full size magazine in a tikka T3 chassis?
A 3-4 inch magazine and a 2 inch magazine have different pivot point by about 1-2 inches. That's the point of the diagram above, to show the pivot/balance point of the rifle.

Imagine a see-saw for the kid, it is adjustable to balance with different weight kids who don't weight the same. How does balance adjustmnent work? By moving the pivot point...🤠

Reactions: b6graham
A 3-4 inch magazine and a 2 inch magazine have different pivot point by about 1-2 inches. That's the point of the diagram above, to show the pivot/balance point of the rifle.

Imagine a see-saw for the kid, it is adjustable to balance with different weight kids who don't weight the same. How does balance adjustmnent work? By moving the pivot point...🤠
i was talking tikka mags. which fit in T3 chassis/stock and already have an AICS magwell

i was talking tikka mags. which fit in T3 chassis/stock and already have an AICS magwell
There is zero functionality gain by using t3 size magazine vs t1 magazine for either reason; the t1x is better mag changes, and better for rifle balance. It might seem counter-intuitive, but that's my experience.

OP, my first thought reading your initial post was that I’m surprised you aren’t considering the B14R as well. You called out aftermarket compatibility as a main priority (full R700 platform support), plus drilled/tapped scope mounts (yes), mag well fitment (AICS-size mags), trigger support (all R700 trigger options).

You also expressed concern about chassis costs; with the addition of a full-length (or whatever size) ARCA rail, the HMR stock is actually quite excellent for a factory offering. I had to drill and tap an extra 10-32 hole to mount the rail, which cost me about $10 for a few taps on eBay or Amazon or wherever.

Just based on your listed priorities, I think you should take a hard look at the B14R.

Reactions: Pipefitter I’m
Anarchy Outdoors makes a mag filler for the krg bravo 457. Your probably aware of that but just in case figured it was worth mentioning. I’ve been meaning to order one but other than the aesthetics of the gaping hole as long as I’m using 10rd mags it hasn’t bothered me enough yet.

Bergara B14R and never m look back
Around $1k but has everything you are asking for right out of the box!

Can't speak to the cz but the Tikka only needs a trigger spring upgrade. Factory barrel is super good with match ammo. Mine likes Center X. The factory stock must be replaced

I have an older CZ 452. It's shoots as well as any of the other rimfire rifles that I have including several Anschutz and almost as good as my Vudoo. I think CZ would be a good choice because they offer a number of models, stocks and barrel contours that should meet your needs including a factory aluminum chassis. Yes, the triggers in both makes will need work to get them to shoot at a lower pull. In the case of my 452, I used a kit from YoDave and a spring I got from Ace Hardware. Pull now is 10 oz. From what I've seen, the T1X only comes in the plastic stock, so you will have to scrounge the aftermarket until you find what you like. That could cost you more money. CZ magazines feed well and are economical. Whatever you choose, remember it's the Indian not the arrow.

Reactions: Pipefitter I’m
I had forgot about the bergara until some of you mentioned it. I feel like its not normally brought up in these t1x or cz discussions, but I also haven't read a ton of them.

How does it compare accuracy wise to the other two? It doesn't seem nearly as popular so its harder to find reviews on it.

I had forgot about the bergara until some of you mentioned it. I feel like its not normally brought up in these t1x or cz discussions, but I also haven't read a ton of them.

How does it compare accuracy wise to the other two? It doesn't seem nearly as popular so its harder to find reviews on it.
My B14R steel barrel and T1X shoot sub Moa out to 220 yds in good wind conditions. The B14R will take Remington 700 triggers. I put a Trigger Tech Diamond in mine set at 8oz. I give the edge to the B14R due to the trigger.

I love my T1X! Typical Tikka fit and finish, butter smooth action, and great factory trigger. I have the Tikka performance trigger spring in it, pull is around 13oz. Have a new God of Thunder flat trigger shoe to try out in a couple weeks. Very accurate with a variety of ammo.

Reactions: MustangGreg66

Warn makes 30mm rings to mount 50 mm scope on T1X