• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

T3 action torque

coachtech

Infidel
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2009
Colorado
What is the proper torque setting for the action screws? I searched and no luck. It is Tikka T3 tactical.

Also, where is a good place to buy 5 round magazines?

thanks,

Re: T3 action torque

I've always been told it's in the 60-65 inch pound range for actions.
Steve

I had the front action screw fall out while shooting (308 T3 Tactical). I loctite blued it and torqued to 65 inch pounds. Did the rear screw also. No problems since.

As for mags, I haven't found any place with them in stock that is cheaper than the Beretta Store. (In stock are the key words here)

The Beretta store was very fast with shipping.

I have a T3 Tactical in .308 and in .223. The .223 is currently out getting a new stock and bedding due to marginal performance out of the box (must have just barely cleared the Tikka QC guarantee of 1 moa because that was the best I could get out of it regardless of load development.) I am hoping the new CDI bottom metal is available by the time the manners stock arrives so I can do away with the Tikka magazines and the "composite" bottom "metal".

If you decide to get the new bottom metal, then alot more options of where to get magazines opens up.

Oh, and if the new bottom metal is available for mine, then I might be interested in getting rid of a stack of 6 round .223 Tikka mags. (Don't know what cal you have)

Hope this helps,
madd0c

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Am180man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've always been told it's in the 60-65 inch pound range for actions.
Steve </div></div>

Are you kidding. I torque my Remingtons 65 in-lbs but the Tikka with the plastic bottom metal. I am always afraid to break them by over torquing the action screws. Especially since the price of the plastic bottom metals are soo expensive.

Gene

When I bought the rifle(new), I checked the action screw torque with my snap-on dial inch pound torque wrench and it was only about 20 inch pounds. I bumped it up to 45 inch pounds, but felt I was crushing the bottom plastic. I torque my howas and remmingtons to 65 inch pounds. I too felt 65 would have been too much.(?) Thread locker is an excellent idea, I do it to all my guns(and motorcycles too).

Oh yeah, it is a 308, and is now my favorite rifle. This rifle is waaay sub-moa, even in my hands.

The Tikka stocks definitely benefit from a good pillar bedding. This will give the screw torque something solid to purchase against. No matter how tight I ran mine, they would work their way out until I put pillars in.

I also put pillars in my Manners when I got it. I just think pillars make a ton of sense.

IIRC, the bottom "plastic" has metal washers molded in to keep from crushing and to give the screws something to rotate against without tearing up the plastic.

I'm semi-patiently waiting for somebody to build a DBM for this rifle.

John

jrob is correct, the composite bottom "metal" has washers molded into the screw holes. You can see em if you look through the holes with the screws out. They will take 65 inch pounds at least once
smile.gif

I do think the loctite probably did better than just torquing them in.

madd0c

Yep, your right. Took screws out, metal washers embedded. Thanks men...