• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

T3 in AICS for 700 SA, Finished! (Updated w/ new barreled action -180218)

kedbeck

Private
Minuteman
May 29, 2008
For a bottle of scotch, a friend of mine spent the better part of Friday night by the mill and lathe inletting my T3 LH in a AICS 2.0
He also made a custom stainless recoil lug to fit the modified chassis.
Very happy with the result! Let's hope it's still a shooter. ;)

tfcw.jpg

ci98.jpg

Last edited:
U gave the scotch to him afterwards right? Lol. How about pics of the trigger inlet and bolt handle area. Jealous as hell if it shoots good.

Thanks!
I (hopefully) won't be able to blame any misses on the equipment from now on.

Lol yeah, I bought the scotch today. ;)
I won't be able to take it to the range until this Wednesday at the earliest though..

The trigger area didn't need a lot of complex inletting at all actually.
The wall between the trigger and the mag well had to be milled down a bit. As well as a bit on the side of the trigger, for the safety linkage.
By using the original hole for the rear stock screw, the cut-outs for the bolt handle and safety worked perfectly as is.

Tagging for a range report!

I'm also curious to hear how the mags feed for you. I have a feeling that, if this works, your friend may be getting offers for a lot more Scotch!:D

Have always been tempted to get a chassis from pete lincoln but the import delays and less then stellar business practices scared me away from him. Never measured the bolt spacing on a rem compared to tikka. Are they the same or did he have to make a new hole location?

Since we're asking favors, care to measure from the trigger face to theback of the thumbhole? I know on my savage/aics they feel right to me, on my rem/aics it took viperskins with large backstrap to feel more natural trigger finger control.

I note you are using the spuhr TRG mount. What mods if any have you had to do to the action?

I'll fix a picture of it tomorrow.

The spacing is just over a centimeter longer on the T3. So we used the original hole for the rear screw, and made a new one for the front screw.
It has to be countersinked so the screw head passes the screw for the stocksides. I'll try take a pic of that as well.

[MENTION=17644]6BR[/MENTION]
Will measure it for you tomorrow.

The TRG and T3 use the same measurement on the rails, so the mount fits w/o modification.

I spoke with a AI rep a couple of months ago, and he told me they had been delayed until sometime in 2014.
That's why I went this route, thinking I could buy the T3 version if I screwed this one up. ;)

Didn't know this was in the pipeline. Think i will hold out. I wonder if they will do a 1.5 ever for a tikka? Guess it is good market strategy every body wanted a aics for savage, when they bring it out in 2.0 anybody that wants one has to pony up 1100 instead of 850. I do like the 2 savage 2.0 i have, the old 1.5 isn't a big deal to remove the cheek piece to clean.

Any reason in perticular u went with the AICS over the WC3? Adds a few pounds and alot thicker.

[MENTION=75360]6brshooter[/MENTION]
Was it this measurement you were after?

lz9y.jpg

A couple of more pics of the inletting needed, for those who asked about it:

lxai.jpg

vu72.jpg

s0c7.jpg

Quick range report:
Since this is a new rifle, I haven't had a chance to develop a load for it yet. So all I had time for today was a starting load using 75 gr A-max over N135 I had laying around.
Shot four, 3-shot groups. All in the .4's @ 100 y

sgqo.jpg

dsye.jpg

Very impressive, and even cooler that it's a folder! and another +1 that it's left handed! Now you just need one of these AI style handles.

Hope that Spuhr mount doesn't get in the way when extracting rounds

Just realised its a .223 Haken has said that there shouldn't be ejection issues with the small case.

Very impressive, and even cooler that it's a folder! and another +1 that it's left handed! Now you just need one of these AI style handles.

Hope that Spuhr mount doesn't get in the way when extracting rounds

Thanks! :)
Yeah, I've had my eyes on those handles before. Pretty sweet!

The .223 case work perfectly w/o modifying the ejection port.

it may be a rodale chassis, he has made aic copies. just a thought i'm not "in the know".

Possible, But i don't think EuroOptics would sell their shit.

I called them today to place an order (FANTASTIC PRICES for hide members and really will go out of their way to get your business, I can't say enough about them) For some AI Mags and they said they are an AI Distributor. I doubt they would jepordize that by selling unlicenced clones.

A UK varminting forum has suggested that the aics t3 will be released 2014.

Also I know the guy that makes those tikka bolt handles if your interested

A UK varminting forum has suggested that the aics t3 will be released 2014.

Also I know the guy that makes those tikka bolt handles if your interested

That is what I was told as well, when speaking with Tom Lawson @ Sportingservices in the UK.

He's already got a pm inbound. :)

My accuracy on my TR-TRG bastard gained a lot by bedding the action to the chassis.
Maybe you need it, maybe you dont....

I used a TRG trigger to my build and that gave me the oppertunity to adjust the trgger placement further back.
Just an idea if the trigger sits to far to the front.

You might be forced to lower the ejectionport to get safe ejection, but time will tell..........

Beutifull build!

My accuracy on my TR-TRG bastard gained a lot by bedding the action to the chassis.
Maybe you need it, maybe you dont....

I used a TRG trigger to my build and that gave me the oppertunity to adjust the trgger placement further back.
Just an idea if the trigger sits to far to the front.

You might be forced to lower the ejectionport to get safe ejection, but time will tell..........

Beutifull build!

Thanks! =)
And I must compliment you on the scope mount. Extremely nice piece of kit, and I'm very happy with it.
Highly recommended!

I thought about bedding it, but I'll try fiddling with powder/seating depth etc first. I think it's doable.

The trigger actually fits me just fine. I always thought the trigger on the Rem 700 I had before sat too high, but not this one.
But thanks for the tip!

The small .223 case ejects perfectly, without interference from the mount.
I already have plans for a .308/6,5x47 build though, and I ordered a stainless action for that one, so I don't have to worry about messing up the blueing by milling the ejection port.

Is that the stock bolt shroud or a metal aftermarket one? If so, where did you get it?

Started load development today.
This is three shots with three different loads! .5 gr intervals. Shot @ 100 meters
Group is .35 c-t-c.

544f.jpg

evp7.jpg

New "AI-style" bolt handle from Cannoncrossfire
3 shots @ 100 y, all with three different loads. (Ranging from 21,3 gr to 23,8 gr N140, topped of with a 77 gr Scenar.)

0yrh.jpg

voaa.jpg

1snw.jpg

[MENTION=5131]Northman[/MENTION], it's a 50 mm.
[MENTION=44870]Magstang1[/MENTION], Thanks! =) The old handle will go on my next T3 build. ;)

Kedbeck: and that is not the Varmint/Sporter or Tactical version?

Just regular T3?

Stock/rifle still delivers, in less-than-ideal circumstances.

5 shots @ 330 yards, 2.24"

x6g4.jpg

z2t6.jpg

I know this is an old thread but was just wondering what that 308 barreled action was ie. t3x ctr, lite.... and how did that t3 lite do In terms of spread with the light contour barrel?
Thanks

BH30-06: I am pretty sure that it is a Tikka T3 Super Varmint. Available in every good hunting store around here.

I sure would have thought more milling would have been required. Very cool project!

I know this is an old thread but was just wondering what that 308 barreled action was ie. t3x ctr, lite.... and how did that t3 lite do In terms of spread with the light contour barrel?
Thanks

The 308 is an ordinary stainless varmint.
The 223 was a blued lite. I've posted some groups shot with the 223 above as well.