• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

T3x TACT A1 vs. DELTA 5® PRO

dewcreative

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2022
USA
Need opinions please ..... contemplating these two rifles. Any opinions comparing the two would be greatly appreciated.

btw, Opinions/suggstions/questions on (6.5 Creedmoor vs. 308) is not requested, just need input on the mechanics and reliability of these two.

Thank you in advance for your time.

I'd by the Delta between those two but either of them will be a shooter. Get a .308 if you want to learn and have access to ammo these days... and rebarrel later to whatever when 6.5 Creedmor isn't (hopefully) $50 a damn box.

Reactions: dewcreative
I'd by the Delta between those two but either of them will be a shooter. Get a .308 if you want to learn and have access to ammo these days... and rebarrel later to whatever when 6.5 Creedmor isn't (hopefully) $50 a damn box.
Thank you for your prompt reply ... appreciated !

And the tikka 2 stage trigger is, in my opinion, superior to the Timney in the DD.

The only “flaw” in the tac A1x is the chassis being a little dated but with MDT ACC, KRG X-ray, and all the newer options, I wouldnt hesitate to get a A1X just for the action, trigger and barrel. Shoot the barrel then rebarrel with a prefit from a bartlein or Krieger blank

And the tikka 2 stage trigger is, in my opinion, superior to the Timney in the DD.

The only “flaw” in the tac A1x is the chassis being a little dated but with MDT ACC, KRG X-ray, and all the newer options, I wouldnt hesitate to get a A1X just for the action, trigger and barrel. Shoot the barrel then rebarrel with a prefit from a bartlein or Krieger blank

There is no comparison. The Delta bolt is just awful, on the 3 I have shot. The Tikka is a known high level performer based around an excellent action. If you decide you want to change out the Tac A1 chassis later you can sell it on here for 700 or so and buy whatever else you'd like. That's what I did.

Tikka. Much more upgradability. Recoil lug, pic rails, bolt handles, bolt shroud, prefit barrels stock and chassis, DBM options (CTR suck, too expensive and prone to feed issues). Etc. Resale value ie also good.

Have at it.

And another a voice in the crowd hailed "Tikka!" The OP then realized the overwhelming predilection for the Finnish brand amidst the other options. So the OP bough a Tikka Tac A1 with haste and everything was just.

Buy the Tikka! I love mine, it just plain hammers! Normally I’d suggest 6.5 Creed but in this case I’d buy the .308 because I’ve seen them advertised cheaper and/or on sale. Ammo is readily available for .308 with lots of good bullet choices. if the recoil bothers you, get a better brake and at some point you can invest in a pre fit barrel in the caliber of your choice (6.5 creed, 6mm creed.) I have not experienced the feeding issues with the factory mags that some have either.

Last edited:
There is no comparison. The Delta bolt is just awful, on the 3 I have shot. The Tikka is a known high level performer based around an excellent action. If you decide you want to change out the Tac A1 chassis later you can sell it on here for 700 or so and buy whatever else you'd like. That's what I did.

Tikka. Much more upgradability. Recoil lug, pic rails, bolt handles, bolt shroud, prefit barrels stock and chassis, DBM options (CTR suck, too expensive and prone to feed issues). Etc. Resale value ie also good.

Have at it.

Reactions: iceng
And another a voice in the crowd hailed "Tikka!" The OP then realized the overwhelming predilection for the Finnish brand amidst the other options. So the OP bough a Tikka Tac A1 with haste and everything was just.

Buy the Tikka! I love mine, it just plain hammers! Normally I’d suggest 6.5 Creed but in this case I’d buy the .308 because I’ve seen them advertised cheaper and/or on sale. Ammo is readily available for .308 with lots of good bullet choices. if the recoil bothers you, get a better brake and at some point you can invest in a pre fit barrel in the caliber of your choice (6.5 creed, 6mm creed.) I have not experienced the feeding issues with the factory mags that some have either.
Thank you for your prompt reply ... appreciated ! btw, I'm "on-the-fence" about 308 vs. 6.5 creed ..... My older brother's advice to his "younger" ('62) brother (me), highly suggests 308, but 6.5 seems to be gaining traction ..... All I know for sure is I want a folding stock and a longer barrel for the accurate rounds. Thanks again !

Tikka in 6.5 CM. Ammo seems to gaining in 6.5 and dropping in .308. It seems EVERYONE has abandoned .308 for 6.5 CM. For good reason. .308 is the new .45 ACP.*

*I have both of those BTW.

And I rebarreled my Tikka to a Bartlein 6GT.

66771157621__C6A75EEB-5D30-438C-A9D9-FCC40A5C906D.jpeg

Ballistic-X-Export-2022-02-22 14:11:36.198274.jpg

Thank you for your prompt reply ... appreciated ! btw, I'm "on-the-fence" about 308 vs. 6.5 creed ..... My older brother's advice to his "younger" ('62) brother (me), highly suggests 308, but 6.5 seems to be gaining traction ..... All I know for sure is I want a folding stock and a longer barrel for the accurate rounds. Thanks again !
Unless you can't find or afford to buy 6.5 creedmoor ammo there is no reason to go with 308. More drop, more wind drift, less energy at distance. I love my 308 LMT rifle, but 6.5cr is superior in pretty much every way. Personally, I don't see any ammo for it on the shelves around me, so it's hard for me to recommend to someone new, unless they reload.

Personally, I never used the folding stock on my Tikka much and my chassis now is fixed.

I shot these groups (5 shot) the other day, as I'm moving to only using Sierra bullets in my loads. Numbers just indicate grains of powder with a 140gr SMK. Factory 24" 6.5cr Tikka barrel (3000ish rounds) at 105m. The Tikkas just shoot.
20220225_164913.jpg

Unless you can't find or afford to buy 6.5 creedmoor ammo there is no reason to go with 308. More drop, more wind drift, less energy at distance. I love my 308 LMT rifle, but 6.5cr is superior in pretty much every way. Personally, I don't see any ammo for it on the shelves around me, so it's hard for me to recommend to someone new, unless they reload.

Personally, I never used the folding stock on my Tikka much and my chassis now is fixed.

I shot these groups (5 shot) the other day, as I'm moving to only using Sierra bullets in my loads. Numbers just indicate grains of powder with a 140gr SMK. Factory 24" 6.5cr Tikka barrel (3000ish rounds) at 105m. The Tikkas just shoot.
View attachment 7817439
NICE ! - Thanks

Reactions: Vivacious Stallion

View attachment 7817439
The folding part is what I miss most about the Tac chassis. Much easier to get in the safe. And I have to store it in my upstairs safe now. Heaviest rifle too.

Sadly I've no experience on the Delta 5.
My Tic Tac in 6.5 CM is a windcheater delight, sub.5 moa @ 200 with light/no wind, steady out to 1,00yds. it a lump but the weight soaks up the little recoil the 6.5 gives.
Its very east to shoot, consistent but not a hunting gun - unless your a monster.

After that the options aftermarket are wide and easily obtained. I would try to shoot one first, just in case its not for you.

between those 2. tikka tac a1 all day

other options
tikka CTR and throw it in a better stock/chassis
zermatt origin/proof prefit from front range precision

Not that you asked but something to consider. Southern Precision Rifles is building me a 6.5CM with a Zermatt origin action, Bartlein carbon fiber barrel spun to the action, Trigger Tech trigger, and I will throw it in a KRG Bravo chassis. All in about $2600.

Reactions: Stoweit
6.5 creedmoor. Dont bother with 308win.

Know when people changed from paper patched 45-70govt to 308, and all thr purists bitches about it, but 308win became a great standard.

Well thats what 6.5cm did to 308. Its better in every way. And dont listen to "anything 6.5crapmoor can do, 308 can do better".

Recoil and drop. Yes, 308 has more recoil it also has more drop. 2 very indesirable attributes.

I shot my Tikka in a Manners stock next to my buddy with a DD Delta 5 in a four day class. We were shooting from improvised positions with elevation and wind. I had zero interest in shooting his DD and by the end of the class he was yanking the glass and selling it. It's a soulless, boring, proprietary chassis gun.

In comparison, I switched rifles with a guy with an MRAD and was happy to have the Tikka. The MRAD has an outstanding trigger, kind of an interesting feel, and good ergos, but I didn't need to switch-barrel system so I'm happy with the cheaper Tikka.

My rifle is a Tikka CTR with a 20" 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. My first configuration had it in a KRG Bravo stock like everyone else does and I hated it, the ergos on the Bravo are quite poor if you aren't just using it on a bench. It's an uncofmortable chassis to walk around with or use in improvised positions - but it shot 1/8 MOA @ 100yd. I switched it to a bedded T4A Manners stock, it's way more comfortable and it shoots 1/4MOA @ 100. I engaged out to 1,422yds with it and it was great. Really a nice gun and the Manners gives it a lot of soul, it's a fun gun to have. The TacA1 would be a good shooter as well but chassis guns bore me. If I wanted a chassis gun I would go straight to buying an American Rifle Co Nucleus/Xylo package, which is a very ergonomic and gorgeous rifle.

Last edited:
Reactions: st1650 and iceng
If you think you might be upgrading the chassis, as others have said, save some money and buy the Tikka CTR and then swap out the chassis for a KRG, XLR, etc. I believe both TAC A1 and CTR have the same barrel and action. That's what I did and while I can't claim to be getting 1/8 MOA, 1/2 MOA is definitely doable.

And for a cheap upgrade to your trigger buy a YoDave spring. It's an easy install and I think it costs about $10 (although somehow they charge you another $10 for shipping).

Reactions: UpSideDown
If you think you might be upgrading the chassis, as others have said, save some money and buy the Tikka CTR and then swap out the chassis for a KRG, XLR, etc. I believe both TAC A1 and CTR have the same barrel and action. That's what I did and while I can't claim to be getting 1/8 MOA, 1/2 MOA is definitely doable.

And for a cheap upgrade to your trigger buy a YoDave spring. It's an easy install and I think it costs about $10 (although somehow they charge you another $10 for shipping).
The YoDave spring really changes the gun, I strongly agree with this.

You don't need to do the YoDave spring if you get the A1 (or super varmint) with the 2 stage trigger.

Daniel defense bolt guns are gimmicks, no one uses that shit

If you want a Tikka DO NOT BUY the taca1. Buy a CTR instead and upgrade it.

If you are going to spend close to $2K on a gun, get one of the production guns instead. Much better value and easier upgrade path, while being able to sell off parts easy. They will have full compatibility with what 90% of shooters and competitors are using and make it much easier to find upgrades and parts

Reactions: iceng
YoDave provides good components - I've used them (CZ-455 trigger kit). The $10 shipping thing is not their doing - it's a Canadian customs thing; I called them and asked. Order one YoDave thing or half a dozen, it's still $10.

It's been a couple of years since I read about Elay Precision somewhere here on SH; at that time I got his Tikka springs for a fraction of the YoDave cost - primarily because of the shipping charge.

You don't need to do the YoDave spring if you get the A1 (or super varmint) with the 2 stage trigger.
"Need" is relative, but I can tell you from personal experience with my own TAC A1 that a YoDave or Elay spring definitely helps and definitely works in the Tikka 2-stage trigger. My Tikkas are long gone in favor of customs (just because I decided to, not because there was anything wrong with Tikka) whose triggers are all set at 8 ounces. My TAC A1 and Varmint triggers, with Elay springs, were at 16-24 ounces. I think that's about as low as they would adjust.

I have a delta 5. As others have said, the bolt / action leaves much to be desired - my Remington 700 is way smoother. The delta 5 is accurate enough though. At the suggestion of my local dealer, I’m now looking at trading the delta 5 for a masterpiece arms pmr. Haven’t shot a tikka so can’t help there.

Get the Tikka. If you like the tac A1 chassis its a great option, but if you plan to change it get a CTR. They will come out close in price either way and the A1 has a nice 2 stage trigger if you like 2 stage. I use to be a single stage guy till I shot my tac A1 for a while. I'm very happy with it.