• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

T3X UPR vs. Super Varmint

Turkeytider

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2022
Georgia
If/when my club shooting range expands from 500 to 1K yards, these are two model guns in 6.5 Creed that I`ll be seriously considering. Would be used for fun, non-competitive shooting from bench at the longer ranges. Right at present have plenty of gun for 500 yard, .223 fun with my Savage Model 12 LRPV in 1:7.
Any experience/recommendations with either or both guns, particularly in similar use to what I`ve described, would be great. And Merry Christmas to all!!

$1500 for a factory rifle in a Tupperware stock is insane when you can get a great custom action, a prefit, and a KRG for a couple hundred more.

Both are great rifles. I’ve had the older non threaded varmint model and the CTR model. Of the two models you listed, I would take the super varmint. The stock already has the wider forearm and the rifle comes with a two stage trigger if that’s how you role. If not someone would gladly trade you their single stage and send you some extra coin for the trouble. The heavier barrel is nice on the range as well although the upr/ctr barrel is heavy enough.

The Tikka “tupperware stocks” are good stocks and a man couldn’t piece together a rifle anywhere close to the price. Even if be could (he can’t), it wouldn’t necessarily be a better rifle.

Both are great rifles. I’ve had the older non threaded varmint model and the CTR model. Of the two models you listed, I would take the super varmint. The stock already has the wider forearm and the rifle comes with a two stage trigger if that’s how you role. If not someone would gladly trade you their single stage and send you some extra coin for the trouble. The heavier barrel is nice on the range as well although the upr/ctr barrel is heavy enough.

The Tikka “tupperware stocks” are good stocks and a man couldn’t piece together a rifle anywhere close to the price. Even if be could (he can’t), it wouldn’t necessarily be a better rifle.

Don’t be a moron.

This:
+

Add a trigger of your choice and you have a better gun for the same price.

Ohh yeah? An origin is $900 and you can get proof SS prefits for $450. That’s $1350 and that Supervarmint is $1650. KRG’s can be had new for as little as $350 if you shop around and you can get them used for $250-$275. You can get an old style 700 trigger for $50 that’s as nice as a tikka trigger or something nice for $200. Depending on how you do it you’re at or just over the cost of that mediocre factory rifle in a Tupperware stock and instead you have a custom action with a cut rifled barrel in a chassis that takes AI mags.

I would even buy one of those PVA Solus $1100 barreled action deals over a tikka. You could get one of those, a new KRG, and a TT Special for the same price the Tikka.

Like I said, spending that on a Tikka is insane. The barrels are slow, the stocks suck, the mags suck, the warranty and CS sucks and you get to spend $100 to replace the ejector spring every 750-1000 rounds if you want it to actually eject. At $750 for a T3X SS for a beater hunting rifle or $1K for a CTR if that’s all you have to spend on a precision rifle they make sense, but beyond that it’s a hard pass for me.

Come on guys, it`s Christmas ! Some of you guys get coal in your stockings or what? No need for name calling, so stop it. IF there are any mods reading this, can you please delete this thread? I would if I knew how.

Damn you’re sensitive. You want the thread deleted because you were given good advice and wasn’t what you wanted to hear? LOL

Anyway, back to the OP’s question. Here’s a little data for you.

I own a Super Varmint in 223 (going through my “Tikka phase” of experimentation lol). The stock is not like the Tikka Tupperware black stocks. It’s quite reinforced inside and has a nice grippy texture. I like the cheek piece.

I like the two stage trigger as that’s my type of trigger. The trigger blade is narrow, however.

I have not felt or seen the UPR…don’t know much about them. I have heard the stock occasionally splits at the mould line, but apparently it’s a good solid stock.

Damn you’re sensitive. You want the thread deleted because you were given good advice and wasn’t what you wanted to hear? LOL
No, that`s not why. I simply wanted some first hand comments on two rifle models, not a critique of the wisdom ( or lack thereof in your opinion ) concerning how I might spend my money. If you have first hand experience with either or both rifles, great, I`d love to hear it. You`re obviously a knowledgeable person when it comes to firearms. If, on the other hand, you do NOT have said experience....butt out. LOL.

Anyway, back to the OP’s question. Here’s a little data for you.

I own a Super Varmint in 223 (going through my “Tikka phase” of experimentation lol). The stock is not like the Tikka Tupperware black stocks. It’s quite reinforced inside and has a nice grippy texture. I like the cheek piece.

I like the two stage trigger as that’s my type of trigger. The trigger blade is narrow, however.

I have not felt or seen the UPR…don’t know much about them. I have heard the stock occasionally splits at the mould line, but apparently it’s a good solid stock.
Thank you sir, appreciate the info.

Thank you sir, appreciate the info.
One more thing…I think I’d like the SV two stage trigger to be a tad lighter on its second stage. I’m thinking of sending it to Lumley Arms so he can figure that out. I have his springs for Tikka’s single stage triggers and I like them.

Don’t get me wrong, the trigger is good and does not have a heavy pull. I’m being picky.

The SV has been sent back to Tikka as it has a very rough firing pin hole that was causing light strikes. Just my luck! It’s on my gun shop’s dime, however.
E1B91BEE-5CE0-44E5-A916-0DDED123F4A9.jpeg
50988B30-31EB-40EA-B700-8A6B8B6C5BE3.jpeg

I’ve had a T3x Lite, Super Varmint, looked hard at a UPR and bailed on it. I also now have a Solus and a PVA Solus build.

UPR: great heavy hunting rig. Stock is very narrow, so it might not be the best of a front rest if you use one. The cheek piece was severely disappointing - very flimsy.

SV: really wanted to like this more. The action was maybe a touch on the rough side on the internal surfaces, but combined with the Cerakote, it added some stickyness that made a Tikka feel like a Mossberg. Great 2-stage trigger though, probably the best out of any factory rifle (other than Anschutz).

If I was going to try another Tikka other than a mountain gun (RoughTech’s are near perfection for that), I’d get a CTR. Lower cost, maximum value in a Tikka.

The Solus’s are great rifles as well, about as close to a Tikka as you can get but with a r700 pattern and more modular. If you are thinking you’ll be swapping anything more than a stock, I’d go Solus. If you’re going to leave the Tikka alone and just shoot it, they’re great.

I don’t think you will find lasting satisfaction from either stock. But the actions are great. What about a CTR and an aftermarket stock/chassis? Grayboe, KRG, or even keep an eye on McMillan’s ready to ship page.

I’ve had a T3x Lite, Super Varmint, looked hard at a UPR and bailed on it. I also now have a Solus and a PVA Solus build.

UPR: great heavy hunting rig. Stock is very narrow, so it might not be the best of a front rest if you use one. The cheek piece was severely disappointing - very flimsy.

SV: really wanted to like this more. The action was maybe a touch on the rough side on the internal surfaces, but combined with the Cerakote, it added some stickyness that made a Tikka feel like a Mossberg. Great 2-stage trigger though, probably the best out of any factory rifle (other than Anschutz).

If I was going to try another Tikka other than a mountain gun (RoughTech’s are near perfection for that), I’d get a CTR. Lower cost, maximum value in a Tikka.

The Solus’s are great rifles as well, about as close to a Tikka as you can get but with a r700 pattern and more modular. If you are thinking you’ll be swapping anything more than a stock, I’d go Solus. If you’re going to leave the Tikka alone and just shoot it, they’re great.
Thank you, sir. Appreciate the input. Merry Christmas!
You’d be better off going on eurooptic right now and getting a 24” stainless CTR. They’re on sale for $999 and have a $75 rebate on top of that. Then find a nice stock or chassis for it.
You’re welcome.
Thanks.

I don’t think you will find lasting satisfaction from either stock. But the actions are great. What about a CTR and an aftermarket stock/chassis? Grayboe, KRG, or even keep an eye on McMillan’s ready to ship page.
It`s a possibility. I think, however, that the Solus rifles that are suggested by some, while I`m certain are excellent, are somewhat outside of what I want to spend. Maybe if 1. I was younger and had more shooting years in front of me, and was still working and 2. Was just more serious than I am about long range rifle shooting. Thanks much for the ideas, though.

Don`t get me wrong, I know there`s value in a more custom approach with components. The facts are, I don`t have a shop with the appropriate tools ( or know how ) for putting something together. At this stage of life ( just turned 76 ), I don`t see me moving away from a more " turnkey " approach to a new, longer range target rifle.

Now, if there was some reputable company from whom one could select components ( Kind of " one from column A, one from column B" approach ) and would construct and ship a finished product, that might well be a different story. I`m unaware of anybody that does that, though.

Don`t get me wrong, I know there`s value in a more custom approach with components. The facts are, I don`t have a shop with the appropriate tools ( or know how ) for putting something together. At this stage of life ( just turned 76 ), I don`t see me moving away from a more " turnkey " approach to a new, longer range target rifle.

Now, if there was some reputable company from whom one could select components ( Kind of " one from column A, one from column B" approach ) and would construct and ship a finished product, that might well be a different story. I`m unaware of anybody that does that, though.
Buying a barreled action bypasses the need for any tools beyond what is normally required for maintenance. Selecting a trigger and stock is pretty easy, and part of the beauty in going with r700 pattern components is that much of the incompatibility issues are taken care of.

Tikka CTR in a KRG bravo is hitting the easy button. I'd take that over the UPR or SV any day.

I'm not a Aero fan but the Solus bbl action with a Timney trigger from PVA at $1259 would be a good start. I'd see if he could sub in a TT diamond trigger vs that timney. Put all that in a KRG bravo, get a mag, add glass and you will be ready.

Reactions: trob

Honestly, you could probably get by well enough with two strap wrenches as far as screwing a barrel on goes.

Also, that company is generally called a gunsmith, Altus being one of the most popular that stocks a crap load of everything under the sun that’s not crap instead of just their preferred flavors.

Reactions: 1911Shootist
Honestly, you could probably get by well enough with two strap wrenches as far as screwing a barrel on goes.

Also, that company is generally called a gunsmith, Altus being one of the most popular that stocks a crap load of everything under the sun that’s not crap instead of just their preferred flavors.
Thanks, appreciate it.