• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes TA31RCOA4 use on a 16" AR 15

samnev

First Sargeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 16, 2010
    Surprise, AZ
    What do you guys think about using the TA31RCOA4 version on a 16" carbine rather than the 15A4. I know the ballistics will be different but since I only shoot the 16" carbine out to 300 yards my thinking is the difference will be acceptable.
    TIA

Shoot M193 (or equivalent variants) instead of the M855 and you will be spot on.

Out to 300 yards you would hardly be using the bdc anyway. Depending on how you use it –and on how accurate you need to be – you may be best served to zero it in at around 200 to 250 yards and just use the tip of the spear. The scope is (as you probably know) calibrated for a 20" barrel, M855, 1 in 7 twist, flat-top, 100 metre zero, and an altitude and other atmospheric conditions only known to some (not all) people at Trijicon. Change any one of those conditions and your bdc is out.

The most useful information (that is always lacking) to have on any bdc is the actual angular spacing of the holdover marks. You can then compare that with your own data and drop charts that are unique to your situation, provided of course that you have the data. I have found some on the internet – mainly from forums like this one – from people who managed to squeeze this rather elusive information from Trijicon, and got some myself from Trijicon.

View attachment Acog bdc values.doc

Thanks for the reply guys. That's pretty much what I thought but wanted to check with other who may have used the same ACOG. It's now on an FDE SCAR 16S

For the distance your talking about it will not be an issue. I really like ACOGs but if price is not an issue the VCOG are a lot nice and the ELCAN are very cool optics also.

Mike @ CSTACTICAL