• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes TA33H or SS 1-4 HD?

ohiogunnut

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2008
Ohio, USA
For a current build I am torn between the TA33H and the new SS 1-4 HD. Of those two, which would you recommend for a rugged/general purpose optic (0-400 yards) on a 16" carbine? My primary concern would be the washout common when shooting from cover into a well lit/outside area or dark interiors and the reticle disappearing and the durability. I own and love my TA31H (BAC works for me), but like the specs of the new super sniper (but no matter what all the marketing says, I cannot believe a variable will ever be as rugged as a fixed optic). Edit: Before brand name dog piling begins/additional sarcastic comments, I also own two fixed power Super Snipers and love them. Just wondered if anyone owns/has handled both.

Re: TA33H or SS 1-4 HD?

If you are worried about the combat ruggedness then get the TA33H. That way when the zombie invasion starts you will be prepared.

On the washout, my SS does not washout until you put the illuminated reticle on a very large, white object. It washed out on my neighbors white siding on his house. For normal sized objects such as his white car, it wasn't a problem.

I've been looking at the TA33 but have one problem with it. I don't like 55 grainers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blklabs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are worried about the combat ruggedness then get the TA33H. That way when the zombie invasion starts you will be prepared.
</div></div>

Thanks... If the zombies are in the streets I will just grab my AUG... And I don't plan on shooting my neighbors siding either.

5235.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been looking at the TA33 but have one problem with it. I don't like 55 grainers. </div></div>

Shooting 55 gr VMAX handloads, the TA31 was spot on out to 400. Thank you for the input.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ohiogunnut</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been looking at the TA33 but have one problem with it. I don't like 55 grainers. </div></div>

Shooting 55 gr VMAX handloads, the TA31 was spot on out to 400. Thank you for the input. </div></div>

Regarding ACOG's BDC calibration, I have a TA31H and shoot Prvi 75gr out of a 14.7" barrel. I have no problem hitting 12x12 steel plates out to 400yds and silhouette steel out to 600yds holding head level.
I'm only chiming in so you don't feel forced to shoot 55's if you decide to go ACOG.

I have had both. While I liked the ACOG, IMO it does not compare to the SS 1-4x. THe FOV on the Acog is very small, while you have all you can handle with the SS 1-4x. But it is kind of an apples to oranges comparo.

The SS is much more versatile, with variable power, adjustable knobs, FFP, mildot reticle, etc. While it could be argued the ACOG is more durable, SS scopes have also proven to be extremely durable.

I'm not a fan of the FOV or the eye relief on the Acogs.

I am a very big fan of the SWFA SS 1-4's. I just picked one up on the group buy with the Bobro mount and couldn't be happier with the decision I made.

J

2luszfd.jpg

Each has its adavantages. The TA33 is going to be tough, with its forged aluminum body. Eye relief is also not going to be an issue. The TA33's eye relief range is broad and the eye box forgiving; however, as was mentioned, the field of view is rather narrow for "one eye closed" use.

I also believe that a variable is going to be more flexible in terms of use. I'm not real sure, however, of what you are talking about with the reticle washing out on the 1-4X. Are you talking about not being able to see the illumination? If you are planning on using the 1-4X as a red dot type of optic, you may be disappointed. The only time I ever use the illumination is when its dark and that shouldn't get a problem.

After having gotten the TA33, I sold it in favor of a variable. The variable isn't as tacticool, but I found the glass to be better and the variable magnification to make the scope more flexible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not a fan of the FOV or the eye relief on the Acogs.

I am a very big fan of the SWFA SS 1-4's. I just picked one up on the group buy with the Bobro mount and couldn't be happier with the decision I made.

J

2luszfd.jpg
</div></div>
I have owned many ACOGS and 1-4x optics and the 1-4x wins everytime. Get a true 1x and it will out shoot the ACOG.

Never tried the SS 1-4X but I have a trijicon TA11 (3.5X)on my 16" carbine and couldn't be happier. Love the eye relief and the rifle shoots great out to 400 yards (have not tried any further). I really have not had any situation where I wanted to decrease the power. I don't, however, do any close quarters competition shooting with it.

Just my personal opinion but the TA33 sucks. Really havent found ant ACOGs I like. I hate that they make us use them. Ill continue to qualify with the irons and not the RCO. I really like the versatility of 1-4x CQB scopes. Much better option all around.

I'm not a fan of ACOGS. However, I am a big fan of the 1-4 SS. It's a really nice little scope.

Have had the ACOG on my 3-gun rifle a few years, love it. Practice a little and without adjustment you are good from CQB range to 300 (my 3-gun club range). Works for me.