• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tac-338 or wait for GAP?

markspring1978

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2009
Central Montana
So, I have a bit of a dilemma; I'm going to get a 338LM and was pretty serious about the PGW Timberwolf. I have the PGW Coyote and am really happy with it but things just aren't working out with the T-Wolf.

My next option was to have GA Precision build me a 338LM on a Surgeon XL action. Only downside here is the one year+ wait for the build to be competed. I don't have any GAP builds but, have shot them, and of course everyone here raves about them.

The other route I could go would be to get a Tac-338 directly from McMillan. The cost is comparable (to how I would build out with GAP)but the wait is only 6 months or so.

I have done some looking on this site about user experiences with the Tac-338 but there isn't a ton of info. Anyone have any objective thoughts on the McMillan builds, as compared to GAP? It would be nice to save 6 months on a build and have a rifle next spring but, for the cost and wait either way, I don't want regrets.

Thanks in advance for thoughts/advice.

Re: Tac-338 or wait for GAP?

That<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you hear directly from GAP it was going to be a year + wait?

I would go with the GAP either way, custom is always preferable.</div></div>

That's what I was told several months ago. Maybe they are catching up...I doubt it.

i would go with the GAP, gives you plenty of time to amass tons of brass, bullets, dies etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: markspring1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, I have a bit of a dilemma; I'm going to get a 338LM and was pretty serious about the PGW Timberwolf. I have the PGW Coyote and am really happy with it but things just aren't working out with the T-Wolf.

My next option was to have GA Precision build me a 338LM on a Surgeon XL action. Only downside here is the one year+ wait for the build to be competed. I don't have any GAP builds but, have shot them, and of course everyone here raves about them.

The other route I could go would be to get a Tac-338 directly from McMillan. The cost is comparable (to how I would build out with GAP)but the wait is only 6 months or so.

I have done some looking on this site about user experiences with the Tac-338 but there isn't a ton of info. Anyone have any objective thoughts on the McMillan builds, as compared to GAP? It would be nice to save 6 months on a build and have a rifle next spring but, for the cost and wait either way, I don't want regrets.

Thanks in advance for thoughts/advice. </div></div>

If you end up leaning towards the McMillan TAC-338, last time I was @ Mile High Shooting (2 weeks ago) they still had a lightly used one for sale...just an option for you as you would have it within a week.

Cheers,

AvsFan
cool.gif

I realize this was not on your list of rifles but there is an AI AWSM .338 Lapua Mag and an AI AX in .338 Lapua mag for sale here on the Hide as well.

I would go with Mcmillan. There is no reason to have to wait a year to have a rifle built. There is so many other gunsmiths that can build a rifle just as good as GAP. I know they make nice rifles but come on.

Go GAP with the XL, you wont regret it. The XL is like a tank

The Tac-338 is a great rifle but it just depends if your happy with the factory setup of a McMillan. The tac338 is usually available to ship, so 6 months wouldn't be a issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AvsFan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: markspring1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, I have a bit of a dilemma; I'm going to get a 338LM and was pretty serious about the PGW Timberwolf. I have the PGW Coyote and am really happy with it but things just aren't working out with the T-Wolf.

Thanks in advance for thoughts/advice. </div></div>

If you end up leaning towards the McMillan TAC-338, last time I was @ Mile High Shooting (2 weeks ago) they still had a lightly used one for sale...just an option for you as you would have it within a week.

Cheers,

AvsFan
cool.gif

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #FF6666">Edited by Mike (Today at 08:02 PM)
Edit Reason: Don't link to other rifles for sale.</span></span></span></div></div>

My apologies - I didn't know there was a conflict being that Mile High Shooting is one of Franks & S.H. main site sponsors
confused.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My apologies - I didn't know there was a conflict being that Mile High Shooting is one of Franks & S.H. main site sponsors
confused.gif
</div></div>

It's not who the link is to, it's the link itself. Understand?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My apologies - I didn't know there was a conflict being that Mile High Shooting is one of Franks & S.H. main site sponsors
confused.gif
</div></div>

It's not who the link is to, it's the link itself. Understand? </div></div>

10-4

Do you plan to keep the rifle forever? Do you use them for a few years and then move onto something else? I would go for the GAP - because if you ever sell it, it should bring a specific buyer looking for that rifle (or a GAP) and higher re-sale value.

(I'm not mocking the TAC rifles, I'm comparing a rifle you can buy anytime with good availability verses a custom that takes 6, 7, 8+ months wait to get)

Another vote for GAP. Yeah, there is the wait to consider, but the end product is very impressive. Sounds like you will need something very user-specific so they would be my first choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackrifle1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you plan to keep the rifle forever? Do you use them for a few years and then move onto something else? I would go for the GAP - because if you ever sell it, it should bring a specific buyer looking for that rifle (or a GAP) and higher re-sale value.

(I'm not mocking the TAC rifles, I'm comparing a rifle you can buy anytime with good availability verses a custom that takes 6, 7, 8+ months wait to get) </div></div>

I don't know about "keep it forever" but, the resale is always a good thing to factor in. Seems to me that a more "stock" gun would have higher resale due to more broad appeal. Whereas with a custom, you have to find someone looking for exactly what you built.

Thanks for the feedback folks.

I wouldn't worry about the resale on the GAP. Judging from my limited experience in long range bolt guns (this site) and the short time I've been a member, it seems like if GAP made a salad shooter you could sell it in a day or two on the Hide's for sale forum.

Here is how I would break down a search for a 338 Lapua.

If you want your rifle the way you want it I would go with either GAP, McMillan, Surgeon, TacOps or AJ Brown. Just pick who you like best and order it. The wait is the wait. You get a great weapon just the way you want it in the end. You will end up with work of art that can be handed down to loved ones for centuries to come

If you want one right now i would break into two classes
Best deal going for light weight rifle would be Sako TRG 42 with 1x10 twist barrel. This is my day in day out 338 Lapua and I love mine. Light enough to carry hunting and freakin accurate. Not as durable as an AIAW but less than half the cost

If you want easiest to carry great shoot DTA is a great one. In my opinion not as durable as an AI but shoots fantastic and carriers like a 308. Great system

If you want best ready made 338 Sniper Rifle with grear resale but costs way to fng much it is the AIAW. Dirt tough, plenty accurate but costs as much as two TRG42s and wont out shoot it. The AIAW will be a better field go anywhere sniper system than the TRG42.

These are just my opinions but been shooting these things since early 1990s.