• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TAC 50- What other bipods work ?? Help

Down Under Hunter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2008
VICTORIA AUSTRALIA
Did some shooting with a 50 at the weekend.

Love the rifle but the ergonomics of firing this gun are quite poor. The std bipod I feel is far to high off the dirt to shoot well prone and the gun is very top heavy and wants to rock and roll with the basic split pin holding the bipod.

What suggestions do you guys have to improve this as this is a great well made gun but hard to get a solid rest with.

What about the over the barrel ( Becker style bipod ?)

Any suggestions with shooting form to help manage the pressure wave from the brake ?

Thanks fellas

DUH

Re: TAC 50- What other bipods work ?? Help

Double up on ear protection, muffs and plugs. wide eye protection or even the closed try mouth open and closed to see which one does better for you. Relax you don't need a death grip ride the recoil. Make sure to dry fire before your first shot.
as to a bipod try this out.
http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?it...9b-8e304e873dd6
you could try this for blast.
smile.gif

RabbitEars.jpg

Boyes1.jpg

MyStand.jpg

When shooting the tac50 dont preload the bipod. Take the play out by pulling the gun back, it will be more constant.

For the shock wave, keep your mouth shut. If it keeps bothering you get there are different brakes out there which will direct the pressure out and not back or get a suppressor.

Whenever I get around to building a TAC50 clone, I intend to build a bipod assembly like this...

TAC50Mod.jpg

I think that was a one-off during development days at Cheytac. Either way, I saw that pic years ago and thought "Yup, that's a good solution." I completely get the issues DUH has with that bipod, especially on a well broken-in TAC50 - they tend to remind me of my first time behind an L96
wink.gif

Hi guys,

I modified those stocks back then, it made parts of the M200's bipod interchangable. Cheytac has their own modified A-5 stock for Lawton action guns, BUT, the problem still is the bipod setup. A Harris (or any other beneath the forearm bipod) is unstable due to the weight on the bipod. One leg always digs in before the other too.

The bipod in the above design was for the prototype titanium actioned M300 series rifle, only 4 built, very light with a carbon barrel. I could build some of these, but i'd need funding up front on every bipod made, get the parts made and then install them on rifles. Not a hard deal to do, but it does take some time. Also, the forearms on these Tac50 stocks were extended 5", adding more stability.

The heel of the stocks on these stocks were modified also to make them more comfortable and ergonomic. Installation on a TAC50 is time consuming, especially when pinning and adding length to the stocks forearm. Cost of one of these setups on a TAC50 stock, including pillar bedding and re-inletting and pillar bedding the stock would be in the neighborhood of $1250.00 - $1500.00. That would include a repaint on the stock.

Trigger

TAC 50 modified pics

I have a bigmac stock for my 50 action on order from McMillan and was looking for bipod options. What I came up with after talking to the guy that makes the APA bipod is that McMillan is going to install the Freeland rail that they sell and the APA bipod should fit perfectly in the rail.

Here are some pics of this setup.

Day_1_1500_yds_with_shooter.JPG

Day_1_left_side.jpg

High_Angle_Training_Range.jpg

That was a helluva rifle. It died on the vine sadly.

Trigger

Veezer,

Not pushing my own garbage, I don't work on guns anymore, but, that setup will be top heavy and unstable of extreme long range shooting. The navy's bipod on their setup is unstable, BUT, it's well forward. By going with a standard length forearm on a TAC50, and an under the forearm bipod, i'm guessing you'll be in a near zero balance setup, VERY bad. You should have about 75% or more weight of the gun on the tail.

More importantly, any bipod should be located at least 75% of the distance from the toe of the gun to the muzzle, towards the end of the barrel. A balanced rifle is unstable. By locating the bipod well forward, you decrease the translational movement at the muzzle that is induced by the shooter at the butt of the gun.

Trigger

Here is a video comparing the effects of my explanation above. Judge for yourself, and make a comment here.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nvo65HjUcpM"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nvo65HjUcpM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Trigger

Trigger,

I have a question on the rifle you describe. You mention a lightweight carbon barrel.. Do you know who made it? I have never seen a fluted carbon barrel and would be interested in more details.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triggerfifty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here are some pics of this setup.

Day_1_1500_yds_with_shooter.JPG

Day_1_left_side.jpg

High_Angle_Training_Range.jpg

That was a helluva rifle. It died on the vine sadly.

Trigger </div></div>

Hi,

Could anyone tell me were I can buy these bipods please ?

Thanks.

That is the cats ass. I wish I could box my rifle up right now.

The barrels are not fluted. They were Lawton barrels and strand wound by Mike Degerness of Advanced Barrel Systems.

More video of the stability of over the barrel bipod systems. There a couple of knockoffs out there of this Cheytac design. The knockoffs have bad angles in the footprint and aren't a good copy. It'd be cool when someone stole someone else's idea they copied it to the detail to get the subtle enhancements needed. Just a thought.

Trigger

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SN1jh79rZDY"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SN1jh79rZDY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Thanks, guess it is my old eyes.. All of the rifles you posted sure look like they have fluted barrels..

aahhh...good point. Sorry, you are right. Here is the carbon barrel gun before the bipod was added and modified.

Carbon_M300_from_the_front.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triggerfifty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That was a helluva rifle. It died on the vine sadly.
</div></div>

That is a thing of beauty...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triggerfifty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There a couple of knockoffs out there of this Cheytac design. The knockoffs have bad angles in the footprint and aren't a good copy. </div></div>

With all due respect, the situation you describe would be less of an issue if the products were available to the shooting community. But because they are not, people are doing their own chop shop jobs trying to get the same kind of stability. There is a demand for this kind of setup on a variety of big bore rifles and stock assemblies. Honestly, this has been an opportunity for Cheytac to exploit but sadly they have not. The system is superior to what's currently available and the design is such that it's rather modular and could be very adaptable to different stocks.

At the same time, you have to admit, at least in the case of the Windrunner, there are only so many ways to mount a bipod in this way and so designs will all be similar, at least on the outside. The reality is your design is in demand, but no one able to supply it, so can you really blame people for machining up their own solutions?

Naturally, I do not know the details about the development and ownership of the design, but that's my $0.02 from where I stand. I honestly mean no disrespect but on more than one occasion you've made comments critical of others coming up with home brewed bipod designs inspired by yours and I felt like someone needed to speak up and explain why that is.

I don't have a problem at all with the homebrew solutions. My issue is when COMPANIES knock off an idea and then push it as their own design. That stuff is a big part of the reason I left that business. No original ideas, just alot of knock off artists.

Another company did that same thing with the suppressor wraps that I did on the early 408s and also a bag type rifle cover, which they do proudly proclaim as their design.

Ultimately, it's no big deal.

That's sadly the case throughout the community - be it uniforms, slings, tactical nylon, or rifle actions. I think most folks who're dialed in know who the innovators are and who the copy cats are. It gets complicated when dealing with .mil contracts for gear as one company can come up with an innovative design but if it gets picked up by Nattick it'll quickly get sub-contracted out to the copy cats.

Still, I have yet to see anyone market a big bore over the barrel bipod system like yours as a standalone item - just personal one-offs here and there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triggerfifty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">aahhh...good point. Sorry, you are right. Here is the carbon barrel gun before the bipod was added and modified.

Carbon_M300_from_the_front.jpg
</div></div>

Nice muzzle break.....

Trigger,

With the longer forearm of the Big Mac, it will move the bipod alot farther forward than the tac50 stock and the APA bipod is a lot shorter than the M14 style. Hopefullly, it will be much better setup.

The over the barrel setup does look like it would work very well if someone had it as a viable option.

I'd be willing to have 25 or so of these made, but i'd need 750.00 deposit up front for the metal and work. Have offered this before, and only 2 or 3 respond. Too much up front capitol needed for a job that only half items get sold on. You know I mean.

Trigger

Id be willing to partake in one of the bipod setups. My Tac50 balance is horrible with the suppressor on it. It looks like that setup you're running on yours would really help out with that issue.

Much appreciated help in the right direction.

Nice to talk to some guys with great knowledge of the gun !

That forward over barrel design is certainly the ticket.

Many thanks once again for the help and great pics/video footage.

It speaks for itself !

Have a great day guys.

DUH