• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Tac Ops draws first blood, my first Deer! NEW PICS

savage110

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2009
USA
Well, being 16, I put in for the Kaibab antlerless junior's only tag earlier this year. And luckily I was drawn, For people who dont know about this hunt its a very high success rate junior hunt for antlerless deer in the Kaibab national forest. So yesterday, me and my dad set out for Kaibab as today was the opening of the Junior season. We left pretty late last night (its a 5-6 hour drive) and strolled in around 2 AM this morning, and with freezing temperatures, it was horrible, we were freezing to death in the truck as the lodge had already closed so we could not get a room. It had rained the past few days and we thought our chances of seeing deer would be unlikely... Well we woke up around 7 AM (a little late) and starting hitting the trails tryng to spot deer, and to our amazement, we saw around 25-30 throughout the hunt. I spotted this unlucky doe standing behind some bushes about 150yds out at around 9 AM, so I set up my Tactical Operations Lima 63, got in position, and watched her for about a minute waiting for her to move out from behind the bushes. Holding the crosshairs where I knew she would pop out, I controlled my breathing, and took my safety off, she popped out right where I predicted she would, so I sent one downrange, DRT.
Needless to say, I am one happy camper tonight, this was my first deer and it was an amazing experience to get to hunt the Kaibab, amazing scenery out there.
Id like to publicly thank a few people, Mike R. at Tac Ops for making a hell of a stick, the bullet hit right where I wanted it to, like it does, everytime I pull the trigger, Tony at TAB, it was a hell of a lot easier to pack the deer, my 3 day pack and my rifle out up hill with it slung on my back. Nightforce, for making optics that work when you need them to the most, and everyone on here that I have learned tips and tricks from about hunting deer.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Enough of the chit chat, on with the pics:</span>
Sorry for the shitty pics, camera on my phone...

kaibab2.jpg

kaibab1.jpg

firstdeerdos.jpg

firstdeertres.jpg

Oh and for all the guru's who say match bullets dont work, well this doe was taken with a <span style="font-weight: bold">168gr SMK.</span>
grin.gif

<span style="font-weight: bold">Scenery Pics: </span>

<span style="font-style: italic">Leaving the Kaibab on the way home</span>

2010-10-07105044.jpg

2010-10-07111635.jpg

2010-10-07112530-1.jpg

2010-10-07113250.jpg

2010-10-07112932.jpg

Re: Tac Ops draws first blood, my first Deer!

Congrats on your first deer, I hope you slay many more in the future.. Nice pics too..

Great job Felipe and nice pics. Looks like your gear and stick all worked as advertised! That area sure is pretty, especially those red rock cliffs. Is that south of Lake Powell?

nice job. i dont think anyone will say a SMK wont kill, just that there are better choices for killing. like gamekings in the same weight. good deal either way

Congrats on your deer.... Did you see any good bucks while you were up there? Not near as many as there used to be but still some monsters hanging around. Those shots of the Vermillion Cliffs are nice, some beautiful country up there. Don't forget if you want to put in for javelina it has to be in by Tuesday.

Wish I had a TacOps when I was 16. Good story, and congrats!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vinnie b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats on your deer.... Did you see any good bucks while you were up there? Not near as many as there used to be but still some monsters hanging around. Those shots of the Vermillion Cliffs are nice, some beautiful country up there. Don't forget if you want to put in for javelina it has to be in by Tuesday. </div></div>
We actually saw a handful of bucks, didn't really pay attention to how many points or spread size, they weren't small in any way though.
Thanks for reminding me about javelina, Ill be putting in today.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice job. i dont think anyone will say a SMK wont kill, just that there are better choices for killing. like gamekings in the same weight. good deal either way </div></div>
My original plan was to use a 180Gr T-TSX, but I did not have time to zero with that round before the hunt.

Congrats on the deer. Use proper hunting ammo.

Kaibab is a wonderful area. was this from this season?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: darrenk75b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wish I had a TacOps when I was 16. Good story, and congrats!</div></div>

I didn't know what a TacOps was when I was 16....but I would have liked to have a Hummer (or whatever was cool when I was 16). I was pretty happy with my 2 wheel drive old Ford Ranger, it did the job.

As for the deer, good job!! Glad you got one.

Awesome congratulations____
grin.gif
_____Arizona has some memorable sights that is for sure!

I spent the first 18 years of my life in sunny So. Calif....and many a trips to Arizona...lake mead, colorado River, Prescott, Skull Valley arizona, dune buggies, dirt bikes, 22lr rifles/pistols 12 gauge shotguns---rattle snakes a nd jack rabbits....and lots of lead thrown down range in the sandy desert there for sure...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: btrapr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome congratulations____
grin.gif
_____Arizona has some memorable sights that is for sure!

I spent the first 18 years of my life in sunny So. Calif....and many a trips to Arizona...lake mead, colorado River, Prescott, Skull Valley arizona, dune buggies, dirt bikes, 22lr rifles/pistols 12 gauge shotguns---rattle snakes a nd jack rabbits....and lots of lead thrown down range in the sandy desert there for sure...
</div></div>
I love it here, some very beautiful country.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

As for the deer, good job!! Glad you got one. </div></div>
Thanks, appreciate it!

I have a rifle tag for the same unit starting Oct 22. Care to say "where" you saw those bucks?
cool.gif

Did you know.... The "Lee" of Lee's Ferry (area where the bridge photos are) was executed by firing squad for his participation in the Mountain Meadows Massacre?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Biased_Obser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a rifle tag for the same unit starting Oct 22. Care to say "where" you saw those bucks?
cool.gif

</div></div> Ill try and get a picture up of a map marked on where I saw em.

Nice pics, nice stick and congrats on the deer. Nothing like the first time, well except for every time after that. Lived in AZ all my life, love it!