• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tac Ops owners: question re Remington and Surgeon actions

J Scott

Private
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2003
USA
Tac Ops Owners; for those of you that have had both actions in Tac Ops rifles, do you prefer one over the other?

Me, being interested in perhaps one day ordering or acquiring a Tac Ops rifle, on the surface, I instantly think go with a Surgeon...end of discussion. However, now that I have a somewhat-I use that loosely- better understanding of what the Remington action goes through to become a Tac Ops Remington action, I'm not sure which action has an advantage. Maybe you guys that own or have first hand extensive experience with both of these actions in Tac Ops rifles would provide your feedback. Thanks.

My X-ray 51 and 66 both have the Remington action which are silky smooth and shoot lights out like all of Mike’s weapons. Whichever you choose it will be a masterpiece that you will love!! Enjoy!!

Last edited:
My Lima 51 is built on a Remington and like @M5NSX says it's silky smooth. There may be another I'm considering to purchase but that one is going to be a Surgeon. I want built in rail and recoil lug and something different.

700 action . Perfection!

20201027_091706.jpg

Reactions: J Scott and JD6415
I own both and to me, it comes down to features.

Do you want:
- options in bolt handles
- side bolt release
- integrated recoil lug
- integrated pic rail

Go with a surgeon.

Both will shoot the same and both, in my option, feel the same when cycled.

I would also look at it this way. If you want a DBM, go surgeon. If not, go remington.

Reactions: J Scott
I can't think of anyone who'd be able to better answer your question than the man himself.

@MikeRTacOps

Yep-I've already done that hence my "somewhat better understanding". My miss for not including that we chatted. No way I could understand everything MIke shared with me re his Remington action process. And it's possible he didn't share all of his secrets :) So, looking for user feedback to help inform. Thanks.

I only own one TacOps, and went with the R700 action.

The reason I chose that, is because part of the magic of TacOps is the amount of work he puts into an R700 to get it to his specs. I feel like I would be cheated out of part of the TacOps magic if I didn't go with an R700 :p, it's part of the pedigree that makes it a favorite amongst .gov agencies.

I have customs with other actions, and I appreciate all of them for what they are. While it would be fun to also own a TacOps that has a Surgeon action, I don't regret getting my X-Ray 51 with an R700. It's a completely different action then a stock R700, and it feels and functions much like any custom action.

There's no bad choice here, I'm sure you'll be happy with either.

I looked through the website but didn't see anything about options, pricing, etc. My Google fu must be weak....

I have a Lima 51 with the R700 and an Xray 51 with a Surgeon. Both shoot, both run smooth as glass.

If this is your first Tac Ops, then I'd go with Mike's classic R700 configuration. But as BEJ said, if you want a DBM and side bolt release, go with the Surgeon. Either way, you won't be disappointed.

I only own one TacOps, and went with the R700 action.

The reason I chose that, is because part of the magic of TacOps is the amount of work he puts into an R700 to get it to his specs. I feel like I would be cheated out of part of the TacOps magic if I didn't go with an R700 :p, it's part of the pedigree that makes it a favorite amongst .gov agencies.

I have customs with other actions, and I appreciate all of them for what they are. While it would be fun to also own a TacOps that has a Surgeon action, I don't regret getting my X-Ray 51 with an R700. It's a completely different action then a stock R700, and it feels and functions much like any custom action.

There's no bad choice here, I'm sure you'll be happy with either.

exactly this

when buying a specific brand like tac ops you buy it for the idiosyncrasies as well as the quality.

if i wanted a surgeon i would go to any quality smith that had a short lead time

Last edited:
I have two Tac Ops, one on a R700 and the second on a Surgeon. By the time Mike is done working on them they are both equally accurate and smooth. As noted above the feature set (location of bolt release, etc.) is slightly different so it comes to personal preferences. I don’t think you could go wrong with either.