• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tac Ops w/ Surgeon Action / DBM

green338 2.0

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2012
NorCal
Good evening,

Does anybody have a Tac Ops build with a Surgeon short action and/or Surgeon DBM? I found a 338 Lapua build a while back. I want to see and/or listen to owner's experiences on these two components. I spoke to Mike briefly regarding a Surgeon action and DBM build in a 260, and while he's ready to start the process, I am not too sure if I should stick with Tac Ops usual offerings of the good ol' Remington 700 receiver and BM. I know, I know, why would I want to change a component in a build that Mike has mastered? I have no idea...
smile.gif

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Updated</span>; Wednesday 0929

I have no problems with the R700, one of my favorite rifles has a R700 receiver and I would never sell it. I don't want this conversation to turn into a Remington 700 v Surgeon action War. I just want to see or hear from Tac Op's owners who might have a Surgeon build and/or DBM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Special Delivery</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get what you want, anything from Mike is going to shoot one hole. </div></div>

The way I'm looking at it now, if I'm spending this amount of money, might as well get what I want. I just wanted to see some Surgeon Tac Ops builds or hear from their owners.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can see why on the Surgeon DBM, but why get a Surgeon action? What are you gaining? The only positive I see is the integral rail... one less piece to fail.
</div></div>

If you look at tactical competitions, custom actions make up almost all builds. Surgeon alone takes up the largest portion, from what I have seen, read, or heard. Moreover, Surgeon does have a 1-piece bolt. There's has to be a reason why so many shooters are going with custom actions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kthomas</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> He has built rifles for over a few hundred alphabet agencies, and if Mikes 700 action is reliable enough for them, it should be reliable enough for anyone on this board. </div></div>

I'm not saying that a Remington 700 receiver can't get it done, but I just feel Surgeon actions start off as a "better" receiver from the beginning. A Surgeon action could be worked over just as a Remington 700 receiver. So, why not start with a Surgeon?

Re: Tac Ops w/ Surgeon Action / DBM

Get what you want, anything from Mike is going to shoot one hole. I always thought about getting a Tac Ops and if I did I would definitely get a surgeon DBM regardless of what action I used. As for past builds, that .338 Surgeon is the only one I've seen that used something different than a Rem 700. Ask Mike, I'm sure he's built plenty one other actions.

I can see why on the Surgeon DBM, but why get a Surgeon action? What are you gaining? The only positive I see is the integral rail... one less piece to fail. But seriously, Mike does a 700 better than most smiths do a custom action. And while resale value is a reason to go with a custom action over a trued 700, Tac Ops hold their value.

So I am curious about what else you get out of your custom action? BTW... not criticizing as I was considering going with a Surgeon, but ultimately decided against it. I can objectively say that Mike does a 700 better than anyone on the planet for tactical rifles. Period.

I agree with Carter. Don't really see what a surgeon action would add to the build, besides a higher $$$. Mikes builds seem to shoot bugholes, and I have never heard of reliability issues of tacops rifles. He has built rifles for over a few hundred alphabet agencies, and if Mikes 700 action is reliable enough for them, it should be reliable enough for anyone on this board.

I have a x-ray 51 with surgeon dbm on order with Mike, as I wanted a dbm system. Looking forward to getting the rifle!

BTW... not to totally contradict my earlier post, but a Tac Ops with a Surgeon action would be pretty cool and unique. It just doesn't make sense from a value perspective. It will be purely cosmetic. As a matter of a fact... I would love to see pics of one... I just probably wouldn't buy one myself.

My opinion is this:

You want Mike to build it, go with what Mike wants to do and does best. Would you contact Ferrari to build you the ultimate off-road vehicle?

If you want a competition gun, have GAP or somebody similar do it and enjoy a faster turn-around.

Comp shooters shoot whoever sponsors them. Same goes for ammo and what cal, scopes, rings, stocks etc.

I just can't see adding the extra cost and wait time to the build. I had a Surgeon 591 on my last rifle I sold, only bought it to start with because of the great deal I was getting. I can't see the added cost to buying a new one though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyDonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">SOME</span></span>Comp shooters shoot whoever sponsors them. Same goes for ammo and what cal, scopes, rings, stocks etc.</div></div>

Fixed it for ya
wink.gif

Not all competition shooters are sponsored. I'd wager to say most aren't sponsored at all.

If you think the Surgeon action is better and you don't mind the delay then go for the Surgeon. But keep this in mind, I doubt it will ever help the resale and you will pay Mike to go over it the same as he does a Remington.

Call and talk to him, he can explain much better than we can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: green338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm not saying that a Remington 700 receiver can't get it done, but I just feel Surgeon actions start off as a "better" receiver from the beginning. A Surgeon action could be worked over just as a Remington 700 receiver. So, why not start with a Surgeon?

</div></div>

He might start off with a "better" receiver... but he is going to finish in the same place. They don't give medals at the Olympics for fastest start... they give them for the fastest finish.

Like I said, what the Surgeon has going for it is the integral rail. For me, the most common reason for lost accuracy is optics coming loose in the rings. The rails is usually lock-tited down, but it can fail. Theoretically, the integral recoil lug is a cost savings, but Mike will probably decide to have his way with it because he is very picky about how square and flat that lug is. Not to say that Surgeon's aren't, just that Mike is an insane picky control freak who does nothing but build rifles and think about how to make them better. That's all.

I guess this brings us back to the fact that if you want a Tac Ops, you should get a Tac Ops.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyDonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">SOME</span></span>Comp shooters shoot whoever sponsors them. Same goes for ammo and what cal, scopes, rings, stocks etc.</div></div>

Fixed it for ya
wink.gif

Not all competition shooters are sponsored. I'd wager to say most aren't sponsored at all. </div></div> I based my comment off the list he probably read and took for gospel. There was a thread that lists the top whatever amount of tac match shooters. I believe a decent amount of those are sponsored. There are a ton of great tac match shooters around the nation that shoot in local matches who shoot whatever they like and what works for them.