• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Tacking Can for 16" overall

biggame10683

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2009
DFW
If I put a tack weld on my Sig 556P that has a 10.25 barrel with my sealed 5.75 suppressor making it 16" overall do I need to SBR it? If not who runs this kind of setup?

Re: Tacking Can for 16" overall

how you gonna clean it ?

The gun, not the can.

What happens if you have to send the can somewhere for repairs?

Once a rifle, always a rifle.

I could always break the tack welds that are on it with little trouble after taking back off the stock, making it a pistol again. I just dont plan on taking the suppressor off the gun very much and to give 200 dollars seems crazy. I might be crazy with this idea but just want to get yalls opinion.
Thanks

You can't convert pistol to rifle then back to pistol. That is a NFA violation.

O I didnt know that. Well that clears it up have to get the 200 dollar tax stamp. Thanks KYshooter that is what I was looking for. 4370 post is impressive. Thanks

Did not know that was a NFA rule Outsy. I just feel so bad giving 200 hard worked for dollars to the gov. for nothing other than the freedom to put a stock on it. O well putting in the papers monday.

It IS a pain in the ass, but if you were to SBR something like a standard AR lower, think of the possibilities ......5.5" 22lr, 11.5 inch 556, 4" 9mm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Biggame</div><div class="ubbcode-body">O I didnt know that. Well that clears it up have to get the 200 dollar tax stamp. Thanks KYshooter that is what I was looking for. 4370 post is impressive. Thanks </div></div>

Are you easily impressed by post counts? Or are you trying to be a smart ass?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can't convert pistol to rifle then back to pistol. That is a NFA violation. </div></div>

But could he remove the upper from the rifle lower, place it on a pistol lower and then remove the can?

Not on a sig556, since the upper is serialized with the lower. On a ar style, I don't see why a sane person couldn't do exactly as you describe, but on the sig, the only option is to sbr the whole rifle.

I wouldn't do it but if you really want to know just ask the ATF for a ruling but I am more than sure in this case they are going to say no.

Biggame your math will leave your a half inch short, you didn't account for the threads, it was a nice try though, this is not worth all the hassle, pay the 200 dollar tax and be done with it, in the end you may increase the value of the Sig, and be able to use your can on other weapons

Was not saying anything other than what was posted KY. Just adding that you cleared it up and the post count reconfirmed that you have a strong voice in the forum.