• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TacOps Delta51 - Another Aussie TacOps Performs

Delta Tactical

Sergeant
Minuteman
Hello All

So i went to the range and normally i dont post every range session but this one was special (for me anyway).

I didnt really have all that much ammo with me plus i was allowing everyone else to shoot the rifle (I was shooting another rifle of mine) and was left with 6 rounds when everyone else was done (apart from my own handloads i am trying to develop).

Anyway, i get behind the rifle settle down and fire off a round. I rechamber and just as i am about to fire off my next round they call cease fire. I got it off just in time but it was only two rounds. When i saw where the second round went i was pissed that they called it! (some competition was giong on that day and the ceasefires were erratic as the organisers were dictating shooting times so some sessions lasted 30 minutes whilst others lasted all of 7 minutes with the ceasefires lasting between 5 minutes and 20 minutes - absolute nightmare)

Anyway, we walked out usual thing bla bla bla came back range was clear to proceed and i ended up trying to put the final shot within the same group. Obviously barrel cooled, conditions changed a little, i had walked away all that stuff and the shot was off.

Like i said i was pissed and i only had three rounds left so i steadied myself and fired off the final three. When i looked through the scope i was quietly excited at what i had pulled off but was reserving judgement until i got out there as many times groups have looked better through the scope than up close.

Sure enough when cease fire was called and i walked out i was ecstatic! This is the best group i have ever shot. I am only spewing i didnt have more rounds to see whether i could back it up because something had just gone oh so right.

The lower group was actually the first group being 2 shots prior to cease fire and the top group is the final group i shot with the TacOps Delta51.

All of my shooting is done off a Harris Bipod with a rear bag full of sand no rests.

Here are the pics:

Delta51-100Metres07thFeb10.jpg

Mine is the one to your left, the other is the one with the famous floor plate
smile.gif

CIMG3912.jpg

Re: TacOps Delta51 - Range Update

Very nice Chubby - it does suck when you start a group and a range break is called. You either have to rush the remaining shots or wait until the break is over and continue the same group. But then you have to rebuild your NPA on that same exact POA. That is tough to do.

I was at the range yesterday too, but didn't shoot much except to zero my Kimber 82B for my daughter to shoot. It was her first time shooting and I really wanted her to learn on iron sights, but I scoped all of my rifles a long time ago and my brother was supposed to come up with his single-shot Anschutz with peep sights but he flaked. She did pretty well, despite the fact that the Kimber is way too big for her.

BTW, shouldn't <span style="font-style: italic">that</span> floorplate be displayed in a small glass case or something? Heh-heh!

Keith

Great shooting Chubby! .019 is insane! My Lima260 is shooting with handloads .070" five shot group at 100yds. I thought that was good but .019 is more than three times better! I may have to call Mike and ask him why my rifle shoots so badly, Ha Ha! But really I was so impressed with my Lima I'm going to have Mike clone it but in that old school 308 round and DBM. Chubby have you took it out to 500yds or more yet?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lt. Arclight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isn't that better than the BR 100 yard world record? </div></div>
A little backround info on Tac Ops, they are considered by many as the best. Mike R. makes rifles for many law enforcement agencys as well as civilians. Mike R. provides a .25moa guarentee at 110yds. but most shoot well under that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wildcat78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great shooting Chubby! .019 is insane! My Lima260 is shooting with handloads .070" five shot group at 100yds. I thought that was good but .019 is more than three times better! I may have to call Mike and ask him why my rifle shoots so badly, Ha Ha! But really I was so impressed with my Lima I'm going to have Mike clone it but in that old school 308 round and DBM. Chubby have you took it out to 500yds or more yet? </div></div>

Are you saying that you shoy "A" .070 group, or your rifle shoots in the range of .070 groups "consistently"? Ala...your rifle is a consistent sub 1/14 moa shooter?

WOW thanks guys just came on and read the kind words.

Keith, that floor plate is at his place safe and sound he is waiting to frame it
smile.gif

That is excellent you are getting your daughter involved and on irons too i like that. I tried shooting a basic crappy .22r that had irons, WOW what a shock to the system i need to get back to basics.

I was stunned when i measured it at a .017. That is a three shot group.

I dont know about any world records i dont follow that stuff i just try and beat my personal best and that sure done it.

Wildcat, .07 for 5 shots that is incredible! I love the 260 round. I need Mike to build me something in a 6x47 or a 6.5x47 but i also want a 300. Before i know it i will have to have a direct debit set up directly to his bank account
smile.gif

I have not tried shooting groups with it out to 500 yet. I have shot sub 1/4MOA out to 200. At 500 all i shoot is this steel silhouette goat at the range. That is next though start stepping it out further and further. I need to get past the 100metre line but its too addictive.

As was stated by Savage110, Mike R does build his rifles to insane tolerances for LE and Military along with many other alphabet agencies world wide.

It has been said before, his rifles are guaranteed to shoot 1/4MOA or better with Factory FGMM ammo. I can personally testify to this. Yes i have my off days but i know that it is me that is having an off day not the rifle.

Without fail every outing producing sub 1/4MOA groups at 100metres.

Now dont take me wrong, i dont consider myself a great shooter so i do have my moments where i stuff things up but the majority in fact i would say the average of all my groups are definitely within 1/4MOA at 100metres and that is shooting as you see it off a bipod and a rear bag no fancy rests or vices.

Chris I was saying that is the best five shot group i've shot, ever! I do believe the rifle will print targets in that range every time but I'm not that consistent. I can consistently shoot in the .25 moa range with my Tac-Ops rifle. I have my days where I can't shoots worth shit, but I know it's me and not my equipment and knowing that has made me a better shooter.

UPDATE - I went to the range on Saturday once again. Was supposed to be a great day 34deg cel and sunny but when we got there the wind was a nightmare. It was blowing from all directions. I was trying to read a benchresters flags which were showing winds not only of different velocities but also different directions.

My groups were not as good as the one i shot a couple of weeks back but i was still happy especially considering the conditions.

There are three 3 shot groups, one five shot group and also a three shot group at 200. My three shot group was vertically strung which apparently means my breathing was the issue but anyway. It looks a tiny bit smaller than 0.25MOA at 200metres but lets just call it 0.25MOA.

The smallest group was actually my first group. You can see the Cold bore shot. 5 Shot group is bottom left group:
(Top Right should be rotated 180deg counter clockwise - Bottom Right should be rotated 90degrees counter clockwise)
Delta51100m4target20thFeb10wTXT.jpg

200metre group:
Delta5120020thFeb10.jpg

nice. i wondered if those tac ops would hold their claim.... looks like it.

A new Update:

Another Aussie TacOps performs.

Although TacOps rifles are made to shoot the 168g FGMM Ammo, this incredible group was shot using the Hornady 168 BTHP Match Ammo.

The Rifle is an all black Xray51, i do not have photos of the rifle at the moment but here is the group shot by Michael (No not Mike R
smile.gif
) the owner:

Great Shooting Michael
smile.gif

3rndgrp100ydhornady168.jpg

Awesome. When you start doing that consistently, it is time to take it farther... 300+. Too boring, otherwise :)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome. When you start doing that consistently, it is time to take it farther... 300+. Too boring, otherwise :) </div></div>

Not sure what he is doing but i have moved back from the 100 meters you are right it does get boring when the consistency is there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lt. Arclight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isn't that better than the BR 100 yard world record? </div></div>
A little backround info on Tac Ops, they are considered by many as the best. Mike R. makes rifles for many law enforcement agencys as well as civilians. Mike R. provides a .25moa guarentee at 110yds. but most shoot well under that. </div></div>

Am I the only one that found that post funny?...I hope ArcLight finally knows the scoop on TACOPS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am sure it is sacrilege and I will ask anyway. Do they (TacOps) build any with a DBM? </div></div>

Chiller, yes you can twist their arm to get one with a DBM. It is not favored by them but yes you can choose it.

TacOps will use DBM if you want it! The rifle they are building me right now is going to have DBM. Mike is very easy to work with! I really didn't have to twist his arm on the DBM like I did on the 260. LOL

Shoot it at 300 yards or more shooting 3- 5 shot groups in a row. I'd be interested in seeing what it can do there.

My M700 receiver is on its way to Mike, TODAY!!! Nice Boom Stick!

rasheed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rasheed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My M700 receiver is on its way to Mike, TODAY!!! Nice Boom Stick!

rasheed </div></div>

Rasheed you made a very wise choice on going with Tacops for you build. The only problem is once you own one you will want another. I'm having Mike build me a clone of my 260 in 308 and DBM, I hope my wife can't tell them apart.

I'm about to put in an order for a Tango51 also. Is the texture they use soft or is it hard and paintable. It looks like rubber. If it is soft I may ask to have it left off. I need to camo mine a bit for hunting.

Also...I keep wondering how much of their legendary accuracy is due to some kind of very expensive equipment they might have that other gunsmiths can't afford. Obviously Mike's perfectionism and absolute fanaticism is the main reason those guns are friggin lasers....but I suspect they must have some incredible machines.

Anybody heard anything about that?

Jim

I'm waiting to see a pic of their AR!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jlowell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm about to put in an order for a Tango51 also. Is the texture they use soft or is it hard and paintable. It looks like rubber. If it is soft I may ask to have it left off. I need to camo mine a bit for hunting. </div></div>

The texture is hard and can be left off. The Tac Ops Infidel doesn't have the texture, unless you pay extra for it. Also, the Infidel doesn't have the Anschutz rail on it.

Jamie

not familiar with the infidel. No picture on their sight is there?? What does it look like?...how is it priced??

Oh..I just found pics of the infidel. Looks lighter than the Tango. Do they still make it? That is what I need.

I don't think Mike sells the Infidel any more. The idea was that the gun would have Tac Ops accuracy without all of the bells and whistles of a typical Tac Ops. The rifle would not carry the Birdsong finish, it wouldn't have texture, and it wouldn't have the Anschutz rail.

The problem is that at the end of the day, Mike doesn't like creating a firearm that is not up to his standards. When I last talked to him, he said that he ended up cutting deals with the ones who ordered the platform to try to get them Birdsonged at a discount and he retired the platform.

I think that is the story on the Infidel. Anyone who knows more can feel free to contradict me as this is all based on memory and a conversation here and there.

I believe that the least expensive platform right now is the Tango. It is also the most popular.

I took my Tac Ops to the ITTS sniper class in Sacramento a few weeks back.

Although 15 MPH winds, pouring rain and light hail are not exactly ideal conditions for shooting groups at distance it is perfect weather for training. Out to 300 I held a twenty shot half dollar sized group. When we moved to 500 I had trouble with the wind but elevation was a straight line across the target. the close in work on hostage movers could be covered with a thumb nail.

None of this is dime sized groups, but that was not what we were trying to do out there. I was very impressed with the accuracy even with the inclement weather.

My rain gear on the other hand is getting s**t canned.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jlowell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also...I keep wondering how much of their legendary accuracy is due to some kind of very expensive equipment they might have that other gunsmiths can't afford. Obviously Mike's perfectionism and absolute fanaticism is the main reason those guns are friggin lasers....but I suspect they must have some incredible machines...
</div></div>
I don't know what gunsmiths can and can't afford, but toolroom lathes and mills can be quite expensive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jlowell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not familiar with the infidel. No picture on their sight is there?? What does it look like?...how is it priced??

Oh..I just found pics of the infidel. Looks lighter than the Tango. Do they still make it? That is what I need. </div></div>
Carter Mayfield pretty much nailed it - the Infidel has been retired due, mainly due to Tac Op's credo of uncompromising quality, accuracy, and attention-to-detail. The issue was really that the the production of the Infidel requires the same obsessive machining steps, ultra-close tolerances, and set-up time that is used in the production of the other Tac Ops rifles. Theres' just no other way to ensure that the rifles' will meet or exceed the .25 MOA accuracy guarantee.

As far as the Tango goes, it is very light and handy. It's light weight makes it super quick to point and comfortable to carry, and the short barrel allows easy movement in closer spaces. And the (Varminter) stock design works great for positional shooting. Top it off with a S & B PMII 3-12X and you have a wicked, wicked tactical/hunting rifle.

Keith