• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"Tactical" 22lr match ideas

SkaerE

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2001
The only blue part of VA :(
A buddy of mine has a farm we shoot at and we were tossing the idea of 22lr "3 gun" around since well... we are all cheap. ;) Clearly there is no 22lr shotgun stage we considered a 22 precision rifle stage to take its place. From poking around at other small match ideas and some derived from IDPA I've drafted up a set of match rules that we are going to give a go.

Any input on them, scoring, stage ideas, etc would be appreciated. I tried to keep the 3 sections as equal as i could in possible points so no single stage (either "Assault" "Pistol" or "Precision Rifle") could immediately make someone dominate the points. I also tried to keep them as safe as possible since I know that without a dedicated run and gun range things can get dicey.

thoughts? thanks

Attachments

• Tactical 22lr Match.pdf
    711.2 KB · Views: 42
Sounds fun! Only thing i would find i didnt care for is the longer range stuff. 100 yards for a 22lr can be tough IMO. Some of the sizes seem rough. 1" group at 100 yards. Might want a progressive scoring for that. 3 points for inside 1", 2 points if inside 2," 1 point if inside 4" type thing.

Im just thinking what guns i would have available which would be what quite a few people would have. 10/22's being the most likely. Plus a lot of people would more than likely just have bulk ammo so 100 yards with that would be hard to begin with lol.

Just some ideas. i know my ruger american 22lr im happy with 3" at 100 yards lol

Most of the matches I've been to run similar stages as the "big bore" matches, just with reduced size targets and shorter ranges. Tons of fun!!!

i thought 100 yards was too close too, thats why there are 150 and 200 yrd stages for the "precision" stages. for anything unsupported 100yards is hard on the targets we would be using.

would be western northern Va at a buddy's farm. If i could find an actual range I would love to have a real match that we could invite folks to.

i couldnt find too many sites that showed drawings of big bore matches or i would have loved to scale them down. have any good links to descriptions? our internet is crappy for videos but I know youtube is full of them.

A buddy of mine has a farm we shoot at and we were tossing the idea of 22lr "3 gun" around since well... we are all cheap. ;) Clearly there is no 22lr shotgun stage we considered a 22 precision rifle stage to take its place. From poking around at other small match ideas and some derived from IDPA I've drafted up a set of match rules that we are going to give a go.

Any input on them, scoring, stage ideas, etc would be appreciated. I tried to keep the 3 sections as equal as i could in possible points so no single stage (either "Assault" "Pistol" or "Precision Rifle") could immediately make someone dominate the points. I also tried to keep them as safe as possible since I know that without a dedicated run and gun range things can get dicey.

thoughts? thanks

Sounds like fun. I am a certified IPSC, Range Officer, and we ran 3-gun matches all the time when I was more active in the sport. Usually ours were either Pistol/Shotgun/Assault Rifle or Pistol/Shotgun/Subgun. I have been playing around with tactical rimfire this year. We are having a informal match this week with friends that includes pistol/buffalo rifle/precision rimfire rifle stages. My only suggestions are:

1.) Safety is absolutely paramount. Devise as set of clear simple range commands and use them. Example: Shooter to the line, Shooter - load and make ready, Shooter Ready?, Standby, (give start signal - buzzer from timer for example). When shooting stops, tell shooter, If your are finished, please unload and show clear. Gun Clear, hammer down, hoster (if pistol), then give the "Range is Clear" command so you can go down range to score/reset tgts. With rimfire, it is not good to drop the hammer on an empty chamber, so you might prefer to insert an ECI flag in the chamber instead. You do not have to follow IPSC commands but if you set up a system, it helps to prevent accidents.

2.) If you plan to have several participants, it might help to run the slower stages in a manner that allows several to shoot at the same time. i.e. the precision stages.

3.) Running with firearms needs to be done only if unloaded. Forward or lateral movement is only allowed with safety on, trigger out of guard and muzzle pointed downrange.

4.) AD's do happen, malfunctions happen, but if basic firearms safety measures are taken, the result is only bruises to the ego. Keep a 1st aid kit handy in case the worst did occur. If a shooter has a failure, brain fart, AD, jam, etc. Stop them and safely clear, fix the issue.

5.) I am not a fan of having a shooter running to the rear with his/her weapon during a stage. That is bad form. Always assume the worst and that he has forgotten to unload his weapon. Movement should be forward or lateral only during active part of the stage.

6.) Take advantage of uncomfortable or awkward shooting positions or stage designs that allow the shooter to choose from multiple shooting positions to solve the problem at hand. i.e. Shooting thru a pipe/tube, laying on an inclined surface, or leaning around a barricade. Shoot some of the pistol stage with strong and weak hand only grips.

Irish

Some friends and have had informal matches with pistol stages and carbine stages similar to IPSC and then a long range stage or two from 25 yards out to 200. It's a lot of fun, and I would like to see some course designs to see how we could make ours better.

here is what I have dreamt up, feel free to use or laugh at and dismiss as ramblings from a lamo...
scoring is up to you
Have fun no matter what!

22 Match

Cold Bore/speed dots 50m 30 sec, 5 rounds, paper target

Start standing, drop shoot cold bore dot then shoot 4 separate dots.

Know your Limits rack 100m, 5 rounds, metal targets

Any position, 2 min time limit start standing

make sure the metal targets fall over. .22 impacts on steel are faint. Maybe decreasing size dots?

Stand, Kneel, Sit, Unsupported prone 50m, 8 rounds, 4 paper targets

2 shots at each target

#4 (the best stage!)
Biathlon 50m 10 rounds. Run (to targets and back or farther) shoot 5 large, run (to targets and back or farther) shoot 5 small prone unsupported. Time limit TBD need to use Biathlon targets paper or metal

Box/Bin shoot 50m 2 shots each position, 1min 30 sec, 6 rounds, metal targets

Start behind box, L side, shoot, stand, shoot over box, R side, shoot

need low-energy falling targets. Some 2" discs with flat base, so they fall easy?

Speed dots, 50m, 10 rounds, 5 dots, 2 shots on each dot, paper target, start in position semis get 30 sec, bolts 45 sec.
score how you see fit

Near middle far near middle far, 14 rounds, 2 shots each ranges would be 50m,100m, 200m, metal targets or golf balls.
score how you see fit.

100m score on paper 10 rounds, start in position, 1 min 30sec

Pistol stage 12 round total, weak hand 2 main on left, 2 on center, 2 on right, switch to strong hand 2 to small left, 2 to small center, 2 to small right. Targets???

Means two mags, might be an issue for a lot of mini-pistoleers, average mag holds 8-10. Maybe a 6-8 round stage for each hand?

Send Bunsen pm he started on earlier this year and it has grown fast also the folks in hickory nc have been running one for couple years that is a for sure best practice model